Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2008 CTS 3.6 DI
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all,
I’ve been following these forums for some time, and I have to say, you all have saved me thousands of dollars in repairs/diagnostics. It’s awesome that there are people out there willing to help others without asking for something in return. Thanks.... now to my issue:

2008 cts 3.6 DI
premium luxury package
Ultra view sunroof-

i noticed my rubber seals were in awful condition, purchased new front and rear rubber seals. My question is, is it possible to replace them without removing the entire sunroof assembly? Like just remove/partially remove the glass to remove and install the new rubber seals? Any guidance is appreciated. Seals came in Saturday, haven’t really inspected too much. Wanted to get some starting points from you guys/gals first. Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
'12 CTS Performance Sports Wagon AWD
2,831 Posts
You are best off doing a google search for instructions if anyone has posted them. Don't even know what you are refering to. Personally I wouldn't touch the seals unless they were noticeably coming apart. But again without pictures or further description don't know what seals you are changing and why you even are considering it.

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
9,235 Posts
Perhaps someone with an alldata subscription can post up some info.

Guessing here that the headliner has to be dropped and the pano removed from inside to replace the perimeter seal.

·
Registered
2008 CTS 3.6 DI
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have done extensive google searches. Nothing on my issue, that’s why I took the time to write a post, my apologies if it’s not detailed enough. I will elaborate.

Looking at the sunroof glass from outside the vehicle you have 2 rubber seal gaskets, a front glass seal and a rear glass seal. The Florida heat has taken its toll. They are cracked, and worn, and too much water gets in when it rains heavy. I know this because I’ve cleaned my drains, reconnected the hoses and shrink wrapped them and zip ties them back on, so the drains are clear and functioning better than whenthe car was produced(awful design). So I’m going to replace these rubber seals. I’m wondering if I can just remove the glass, or manipulate the sunroof position in a way to where it’s possible. It’s been raining here so I haven’t had time to get a good look at it, and I’m in an apartment so I don’t have a garage at the moment. Thanks for the help guys I’ll post a pic tomorrow to help make it more clear

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Ahh you have the well know drain issue... You are chasing the wrong tail...

There is an extensive thread explaining how to fix this issue once and for all. The roof seals have nothing to do with it. You replace them and they will look the same within 2 years. The drains have small restrictions in them that allows any debris to plug them. You must remove those restrictions or you will be chasing this problem for the length you own your car and get very upset with it.

Fix it right and once you realize what the problem really is you won't bother with those seals.

I would post the link to the posting (Wish it would be stickied...) but I am running a tight schedule at the moment and need to get running. Something about "Stop the Insanity" if you want to do a google search.

·
Registered
2008 CTS 3.6 DI
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ahh you have the well know drain issue... You are chasing the wrong tail...

There is an extensive thread explaining how to fix this issue once and for all. The roof seals have nothing to do with it. You replace them and they will look the same within 2 years. The drains have small restrictions in them that allows any debris to plug them. You must remove those restrictions or you will be chasing this problem for the length you own your car and get very upset with it.

Fix it right and once you realize what the problem really is you won't bother with those seals.

I would post the link to the posting (Wish it would be stickied...) but I am running a tight schedule at the moment and need to get running. Something about "Stop the Insanity" if you want to do a google search.

not sure if you saw, but I dropped my whole headliner and zip tied/sealed the hose connections on all 4 corners. It’s not the drains anymore. Haven’t had a leak in about 8 monthsuntil a HEAVY Rain. I can put a dime in between the seal and body. I adjusted glass. So my seals have shrunk from heat it seems. They’re 12 years old

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
not sure if you saw, but I dropped my whole headliner and zip tied/sealed the hose connections on all 4 corners. It’s not the drains anymore. Haven’t had a leak in about 8 monthsuntil a HEAVY Rain. I can put a dime in between the seal and body. I adjusted glass. So my seals have shrunk from heat it seems. They’re 12 years old
NO NO NO... You don't understand... Your drains have restrictions at the end of them. You will continue to get plugs and slow drainage backing up water into your sunroof. Your replacing those seals will be wasted frustration and total waste of time until you fix the drains. If you haven't pulled the hoses out of the kick panels and removed the restrictions in the front and from the hoses in the back that go to the wheel wells you will continue to have water infiltration into your car. The seals on the sunroof themselves have nothing to do with this. I actually pulled the inner fenders to get to mine but you still have to pull them out of the kick panels.

Read this thread:

It goes into great detail about what the issue is and how to fix. The roof seals on my '09 were in perfect shape. One night we had a 3.5" per hour rain and my car alarm started going off at 3am. The rains had overwhelmed the drains and backed up into the headliner. Then down the A piller and got into some electronics. I had to disconnect the battery and throw a tarp over the top of my car in a heavy storm in the middle of the night. I let the car sit in 90F temps in the sun for the next 3 days to dry out then I read this thread and did what was suggested. I didn't have any further issues with that car before I traded it in. You will continue to have major issues until you do what this thread suggest. My 2012 doesn't have this issue as apparently Cadillac finally figured out that the restrictions were a bad idea and didn't put them in. However any 2008-2011 CTS (And possibly some 2012) with a sunroof will have this issue.

·
Registered
2008 CTS 3.6 DI
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I understand. I’ve removed plastic wheel wells with the car on a handrail if lift and bored the rubber out. Never mind. Thanks anyway

·
Registered
**2014 CTS4 Sport Wagon-Luxury**
2,138 Posts
I think I understood what you meant but I don't know how to replace the rubber gasket/seal around the glass roof...good luck with your

Bill

·
Registered
2011 CTS Wagon Performance
68 Posts
OK, I'm trying the restriction-bore-out method.

Can you drill them out from the wheelwells? Removing all that is a pain on the wagon.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
OK, I'm trying the restriction-bore-out method.

Can you drill them out from the wheelwells? Removing all that is a pain on the wagon.
You might be able to see them from the wheel well if you pull the plastic fender.. You CAN access the passenger side somewhat easy through the battery compartment area. The drivers side you have to pull off the center section of the side in the wagon. When I added the rear camera to my liftgate I pulled off both side panels and was able to check that both the rear drains were clear of the restriction. I am assuming the fronts are as well.

I understand. I’ve removed plastic wheel wells with the car on a handrail if lift and bored the rubber out. Never mind. Thanks anyway
You did not mention this anywhere in this thread before this point. If you removed the restriction from each of the 4 tubes and verified this visually then it shouldn't be an issue any further. Good luck with your repair.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Wagon Performance
68 Posts
Thanks Rod - got the passenger - now to the driver. I had all that apart when I repaired my taillight tops...should have dealt with it then...

TDwyer1810 - As I mentioned, I don't think there's any way around removing the whole unit to do the seal. Big job!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts