·
Banned
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
7,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WORLD CONGRESS: Cherry mum on successor

By Richard Truett
Automotive News / January 20, 2003

If Cadillac makes a move into the ultraluxury market to compete with Rolls-Royce, Maybach and Bentley, the styling is likely to be radically different from the look of the new generation of Cadillacs, said Wayne Cherry, General Motors' vice president of design.

The Cadillac Sixteen concept sedan, introduced at this month's Detroit auto show, retains some of the edgy, angular look of the CTS, XLR, SRX and other new-generation Cadillacs. But the long, sleek car blends sharp lines with curvaceous fenders and is powered by a Cadillac-only engine: a 1,000-hp V-16.

"We wanted to do an aspirational vehicle for Cadillac," Cherry told the Automotive News World Congress. "We didn't want it to be just a more luxurious version of the current product line that is rolling out. We wanted to really create a classic in the modern sense, a contemporary design that would have the presence those coach-built Cadillacs in the 1930s had."

Cherry, who is scheduled to retire in September, said the look of the Cadillac Sixteen does not signal a change in styling for Cadillac.

"We feel it is still very much in line with the Cadillac design philosophy," he said. "But we've just captured some of the essence of those wonderful coach-built classic vehicles of the '30s. We feel we have achieved that in a very contemporary way."

On other topics, Cherry said GM has decided who will succeed him as vice president of design, but he declined to name his successor. Candidates at GM are believed to include Ed Welburn, executive director for body-on-frame vehicles; Anne Asensio, executive director for interiors; and Bryan Nesbitt, executive director for unibody vehicles. Cherry is only the fifth man to hold the position of vice president of design since the position was created in 1927.

Asked to look back at his career and pick one vehicle to do over, or not at all, Cherry named the odd-looking Pontiac Aztek. "The Aztek has taken a lot of heat," Cherry said. "All I can say about Aztek is that it was a super concept. Conceptually, it was extraordinary. But the design solution was less successful."

Cherry said he won't coast until his retirement. He said his major task for 2003 includes preparing the 2004 concept cars. After he steps down, Cherry said he may restore a 1955 Chevrolet, the car he drove to the GM design center on his first day of work in 1962.

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
I guess this car would compete directly with the Machbach 57. Right? Have you seen pictures of that car? Un-freaking-believable.. What the heck is a Mayback? I've never even heard of it. It is beautiful...

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Sal Collaziano said:
I guess this car would compete directly with the Machbach 57. Right? Have you seen pictures of that car? Un-freaking-believable.. What the heck is a Mayback? I've never even heard of it. It is beautiful...
it's super luxury maker back in 20s in germany irc

It will be awesome if they did get into the superluxo with sixteen. Not only will it let cadillac have more market but it will bring the entire brand name up one level in terms of luxury.

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts

·
Banned
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
7,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sal Collaziano said:
Maybe Cadillac will call the Sixteen, "LaSalle"..
The problem with that is that the LaSalle, was the poor mans Cadillac. It is the V12 and V16 Cadillac's that are still highly sought after and command top dollar, not LaSalle.

Plus, the low end Cadillac models could use the image boost that a high end model would generate. Mercedes (and BMW with the Rolls Royce name purchase) didn't need an image boost.

Now, if they were going to do something like that, then buying the rights to the Packard or Duesenburg name would be the way to do it.

But GM needs to fix Cadillac's global image, and using any other name won't help them do that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts