Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
Joined
·
11,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holy hell I didnt realize 04' XLR's were already so cheep!!

Heres a 2004 Black Onyx one with 11k miles for 42k! Within 6 months time they will be even less. I know they havent proven to be particularly reliable cars, but an XLR might be just the ticket to get me back in that Cadillac ownership category. After that would be the Range Rover, and then the Phaeton, at least until I see and drive a Phaeton up close.

Would not be surprised if this is a Buyback, but still the prices are coming down.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=191613104&dealer_id=57121476&car_year=2004&model=XLR&bkms=1134893792976&lang=en&isp=y&start_year=2004&certified=&search_type=both&distance=0&make=CAD&min_price=1&address=33611&advanced=&end_year=2004&max_price=50000&cardist=2149#vdptop

 

·
Registered
Unicycle
Joined
·
11,009 Posts
ya know... they are nice cars, but they don't do anything for me....

I woudln't want to drive one because I would get the rich snobby, dude thinks hes better then the rest of us look from other people.

I just can't help thinking that when I see people in most high dollar expensive cars..... or people that use Range Rovers or Hummer H2 (or H3) to go to the store (99% of the people that own them)

Eh, before someone says "but you drive a premium luxury car" yeah.... its different... these are classic American cruiser type cars... cars that are normally thought of as old people cars... a DeVille is not in the same class as the XLR.

I dunno, maybe its just my view on it.... most any BMW has this same logic, some of MB sporty Coupes, though a couple were fitting....

I personally do not like attention to me or my car... drive something that nobody else has? thats fine.... you'll probably see a '79 DeVille for ever XLR (ok, here in FL I have seen a few of the old Caddys around) but the image is different... I get attention in the '79, but its more along the lines of, wow, nice car.... or just people that like the classic.... the XLR is the kind of car that screams "look at me" or "I am better then you"

Again, just my logic.

I would have a hard time spending $42k on a car, even as I get older and make alot of money.... but IF I personally had that kind of money to spend, I could never bring myself to buy a car like that... I would buy a decent midsize car.... if you like German cars maybe a Passat or something.... then the majority of the money I would buy a classic... '59 Caddy is on the top of my list. Or I would get a Chrysler 300C SRT-8..... that is more my type of car..... hell, I would probably end up with a truck... nice RAM or F-250 or something....

ah well.... just the opinion from Rick.... ignore it :)
 

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
Joined
·
11,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I dont think it is any secret on this forum that I go nuts over uber-craftsmanship, high end stuff... (I picked up a Nokia 770 Internet Tablet today thats just uber cool), and I can certainly understand the MAJORITY of (smart) people who just dont share my fascination with gadgets and the coolest cars. In the end all of it is really basically impractical, BUT unfortunately Ive been cursed with the eyes for that stuff.

In all honesty however, what other people think about what Im driving is not of so much importance to me, as how the vehicle makes ME feel when Im driving it. I love the Range Rover, Phaeton etc. because they are cars that just make me feel like the world revolves around me while Im driving them. I love to be surrounded by technology and surfaces that exude quality and craftsmanship. Lets just say I never had a great dating life, so I tend to notice and enjoy all these things as much as the lines of a beautiful woman. Its almost intoxicating. I am drawn to these cars because each one is an experience you get to enjoy every day you own it. The Range Rover represents a tough guy, go anywhere road warrior that is deceiving because its an otherwise gorgeous luxocruiser inside and out, the Phaeton is a land yacht and rolling living room all in one, and the XLR is like a sculpted piece of fine art that goes like snot.

.... sigh... getting off on a tangent... Im just REALLY into cars, watches and gadgets, even though I cant afford them most of the time. Still, I set a goal and I work toward it. Depending on which car I choose, I WILL own it one way or another within the year.

Ian.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,073 Posts
XLR.....

I hadnt realised they were dropping in price either, interesting.

Still think you should get the Phaeton :p

If you know about design and craftsmanshipo, the Phaeton will amaze you.
 

·
Auto Enthusiast
1992 Eldorado Touring
Joined
·
3,688 Posts
I would take a used fully loaded C6 Convertible over a XLR anyday. At least it has the "right" engine and transmission combination :D
 

·
Registered
'93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED
Joined
·
5,929 Posts
You say, "I know that they haven't proven to be particulary reliable cars, but........."

In what way? I thought that they (XLRs) were very good? Am I wrong? What's not so hot about them? What problems? Here in mega wealth Northern New Jersey I have only seen 2 XLRs on the road, since they came out !! I can see that they are not selling and there seems to be no market for them. In 1987 when the Allante came out, there were Allantes all over the place. Not so with this car....Why?
 

·
Banned
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
Joined
·
7,237 Posts
Sandy said:
In 1987 when the Allante came out, there were Allantes all over the place. Not so with this car....Why?
There's always this...

96Fleetwood said:
I would take a used fully loaded C6 Convertible over a XLR anyday. At least it has the "right" engine and transmission combination :D
GM should have made a 4 seat convertable called a LDO (pronounced Eldo!!). Then it couldn't be crossed shopped.

Anyone shopping for a GM sports car, knows the XLR is a Vette and the Vette performs better and costs less.

I bet the Vette is the most cross shopped competition for the XLR. And it's probably good for Vette sales.

But used, the XLR does seem to be a good value. I'd still rather have the Vette.
 

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
Joined
·
34,087 Posts
I understand what Rick is saying about the snob effect of the XLR. If I was you
Playdrv4me , I would still get the Phaeton. I have always liked that class of car (executive cars) the most, and the Phaeton is so beautifiul inside and so well built that it doesnt matter that it's a VW to me. They are very rare atleast here in MN. The XLR's are nice too, but I never liked two seaters that much. I like a car with space and comfort :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,073 Posts
The XLR is gorgeous to look at, im not sure abotu the drive ive never been in one, but it does look nice, the VW is a luxbarge, im not sure id take an XLR over Phaeton, but id definately think about it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,483 Posts
THE XLR is way too expensive for what it is...I mean, really, its just a convertible STS with a hardtop when you really get down to it...And it should cost that much too - about $50,000. Not $80,000:helpless:
 

·
Registered
Unicycle
Joined
·
11,009 Posts
Playdrv4me said:
Well, I dont think it is any secret on this forum that I go nuts over uber-craftsmanship, high end stuff... (I picked up a Nokia 770 Internet Tablet today thats just uber cool), and I can certainly understand the MAJORITY of (smart) people who just dont share my fascination with gadgets and the coolest cars. In the end all of it is really basically impractical, BUT unfortunately Ive been cursed with the eyes for that stuff.
In all honesty however, what other people think about what Im driving is not of so much importance to me, as how the vehicle makes ME feel when Im driving it. I love the Range Rover, Phaeton etc. because they are cars that just make me feel like the world revolves around me while Im driving them. I love to be surrounded by technology and surfaces that exude quality and craftsmanship. Lets just say I never had a great dating life, so I tend to notice and enjoy all these things as much as the lines of a beautiful woman. Its almost intoxicating. I am drawn to these cars because each one is an experience you get to enjoy every day you own it. The Range Rover represents a tough guy, go anywhere road warrior that is deceiving because its an otherwise gorgeous luxocruiser inside and out, the Phaeton is a land yacht and rolling living room all in one, and the XLR is like a sculpted piece of fine art that goes like snot.
.... sigh... getting off on a tangent... Im just REALLY into cars, watches and gadgets, even though I cant afford them most of the time. Still, I set a goal and I work toward it. Depending on which car I choose, I WILL own it one way or another within the year.
Ian.
I guess we just have different views over such things, we get enjoyment from different things... you like all the high tech gizmos, I am more into the mechanical side of things and personally get huge amounts of joy from mechanical spects...example, knowing that I own/drive an engine that stands the test of time, is flat out relaible, and just good... the 3800 V6 in my Oldsmobile is a great example, same with the 425 in the '79, and even the 4.9 in the '93. The 4.0 I6 Jeep engine, the gas hog it is, I would be very proud to own over the latest and greatest import DOHC engine. I do not care for all the gadgets... sure the fuel data center and auto climate control are nice, but I have no need for anything more then what my '93 DeVille has to offer.

Your dating comment, actually can work for both of us.... but instead you want all the high tech goodies.... I personally enjoy working on the cars and and all the mechanical aspects. I feel as though it keeps me busy enough and makes me enjoy my free time when I do work on them, that it is one of the reasons I don't feel like I *need* to be in a relationship.

The experience everyday thing.... as foolish as it sounds, everytime I got into my Oldsmobile, I loved it all over again, while it wasn't the cheapest car I bought it was the "lowest" car I owned... yet everything about that car just felt so right, there wasn't a day I didn't enjoy driving it. Same is said for the '79 DeVille, but that is probably moreso what it is... a classic American luxury car, with all the stuff I believe a car should have. The '93 DeVille really dosn't have this feeling, reason unknown...it is just kinda neutral.

The Range Rover represents a tough guy, go anywhere road warrior that is deceiving because its an otherwise gorgeous luxocruiser inside and out,
I have an extremly tough time thinking that... honestly, when I see a Range Rover, its off-road abailty is last to come to mind, the first thing that comes to mind is, wow... another rich person feels they need a large SUV to go to the store or work. Then the rich snobby thing comes along, and then I just look at them in disgust as they think they are better then the rest of us because their vehicle has TV screens in the back of the seats. Kinda sad that a new, most basic $15,000 Jeep Wrangler would kill the new $60,000 Range Rover offroad, stock for stock. Or that a 1998 Dodge RAM pickup looks that you can pick up for about $8,000 looks far more tough, road warrior feeling then the Range Rover....

.... not saying anything about your personal opinion, but I know when I see a Range Rover, Hummer H2, those Lexus things... or any other premium luxury SUV, the last thing that comes to mind is being tough, go anywhere... Among the only luxury SUV's I actually don't mind, would be the Escalade and the Aviator.... probably because they are from brands I am fond of.


Not to say I don't like land Rover.... the older Range Rover... the '90s one was downright, flatout ugly... but they were pretty good offroad. One of my favorite Land Rover was the ~1998 Discovery... yeah it was underpowered, and they had problems.... but they just had a really cool safari expedition look to them, and they were quite capable. The Defender 90 is also a sweet truck, but loaded with problems... and for the price of a stock D90, you can buy a Jeep and build it up to far better for about half the price.

the Phaeton is a land yacht and rolling living room all in one,
Eh.... it does nothing at all for me though. Give me a 1972 Eldorado convertible to acomplish the same exact thing.... except I would enjoy the car so much more I can't even describe it.

and the XLR is like a sculpted piece of fine art that goes like snot.
Eh, another one of those "it looks nice" but thats about it. In my eyes 1 1959 Caddillac means so much more then an XLR, yeah it may not be as fast, but really, it dosn't matter to me.

I guess it really all goes back to... how much will someone spend on a car? some people have lots of money, so throwing down $50,000 isn't a big deal... actually, this probably isn't the right stuff to say at a Cadillac website, but its simply how I feel. It is along the same lines of someone getting rid of a car after 3 years because they think its "old" or "worn out" I personally have no problem buying a 10 year old car that needs a little work, but I have a sweet car for cheap, I guess that is just my mechanical abality that comes into play, an example would be a 1995 Eldorado ETC, pick one up for about $6,000, maybe it needs a little work here and their, stuff that is more time and knowladge then money.... and I would be happy, really, that $6,000, 10 year old Eldorado would make me more happy then a $60,000 Range Rover.... especially when you factor in all the money I would save..... perhaps it is a strange way of working....

It is just that when I see such a high proce for a new car, I think of all the amazing used cars I could have for the same exact price, and how much of a better deal it is.

Example, lets say I had $40,000 to spend on a car. Well, I would NOT buy a new, single car for $40,000.... this is what I would do:

-2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon for about $20,000. This would be my daily driver, and off-road vehicle, surpasing all those far more expensive luxury SUV's.

-1999 Camaro Z28/Trans Am to satisfy my need for speed and desire for a muscle/sports car, nice used one can be had for about $10,000

-1959 Cadillac, any model... probably just a 2-door or most likly 4-door Series 62, it really woudln't matter, a 4-door Series 62 is not really a high demand car, therefore a car in overall above average condition could be had for $10,000. This would satisfy any and all desire for a classic car, or true American car

bascially:



+



+



All come to about $40,00 total, but would give me far more enjoyment, I would much rather own... and just overall really be much happy with the decsion over...



Actually, that Range Rover is a 2004, and is STILL about $7,000 MORE then ALL 3 of the other vehicles listed.

See, that is just my logic.... some may agree, others may not..... when I get my house with a nice 2 car garage, I know I would much rather have a '59 Caddy and a Z28 in the garage, and a Jeep in the driveway, then a Range Rover in the garage.

I don't think I could ever bring myself to buy a new car... maybe 2 or 3 years old, yeah... but not brand new.... even if (when) I end up making lots of money... the difference of, say, $10,000+ between a brand new car, and the same thing 2 or 3 years later means that I can now buy a nice pair of Jet Ski's, a nice boat, a cool camper, go on a hellofa vacation, do something to the house, install a pool, or just invest the money for a later use.... I just look at it from a more practical stand point.

Ah gosh... the thread hijacking comes to an end :)
 

·
Registered
Unicycle
Joined
·
11,009 Posts
Actually, I would have no problem at all using something like this as a daily driver, or my only vehicle.... well, not this particular truck, because it isn'w 4WD, but one just like it that is.

I think I should have bought a truck instead of a Cadillac..... $5,000 2.5 years ago could have bought me some pretty nice trucks.... I was always fond of the '92-'96 F-150's myself.

Such nice looking trucks.... again, I would rather drive this then a Range Rover... not to mention be over $40,000 richer :)

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,073 Posts
I will admit, most Range Rovers never leave the road. Mine is a mess, I am proud of my mess. Mud up to the mirrors, tyres that make the road handling terrible, and scratches and dents from proper use.

When I think of Range Rover I think of the heritage, I have owned Range Rovers from 1980. They used to be unreliable, but they are unbeatable off road.

In 2003 I owned both my current Range Rover, and a Land Rover Discovery, both with a V8. The Range Rover wins hands down. My wife used to have a defender, no car in Britain holds its value so well. They are all great cars, and when I think off roading I think Land Rover.

The only model Range Rover I havent owned or experienced much is the 1994-2001 model.

When I think of Range Rover, this springs to mind:









When I think luxury car I think Phaeton or Mercedes, the Range Rover has always blurred these boundries, but I still dont consider it a luxury car. If i didnt go offroading I wouldnt need or own one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,073 Posts
Night Wolf said:
Actually, I would have no problem at all using something like this as a daily driver, or my only vehicle.... well, not this particular truck, because it isn'w 4WD, but one just like it that is.
I think I should have bought a truck instead of a Cadillac..... $5,000 2.5 years ago could have bought me some pretty nice trucks.... I was always fond of the '92-'96 F-150's myself.
Such nice looking trucks.... again, I would rather drive this then a Range Rover... not to mention be over $40,000 richer :)
That Ram would probably suck off road, or even if it had 4 wheel drive, its way too long and low, as are most Dodge, chevy and GMC trucks and SUVs.
 

·
Registered
Unicycle
Joined
·
11,009 Posts
Yeah, they *can* be pretty good off-road.... and most people within the UK swear by them... thats fine.

If your Range Rover has mud all over it, big off-road tires and scratches/dents...... then I salute you for usingthe vehicle as it was designed... adn in your case, the Range Rover is a perfect match.

I just personally never even see any Land Rover being used off-road... then again, here, we have many more trucks better suited for the job.

This is what comes to mind when I think Range Rover:

23" Spinnaz



need that grille guard in case he hits a shopping cart while going to Best Buy, ya know? oh and billet grille = bling



those long highway rides in an off-road vehicle may get boring... so now you can watch a movie....



People in the back wanna watch the movie too!



Here ya go: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/789339

Personally I don't think an off-road vehicle should have TV screens and DVD players in it... ok, so he added those... but a TRUCK or off-road vehicle should have a million gadgets.... even auto climate control is pushing it.... and no truck should have leather seats.... actually, I don't even like leather seats, if I ever bought a RAM/Silverado, I would make certain it dosn't have leather seats.... in some cars (mid size sedans) I prefer the cloth over leather.... only in premium luxury "cars" do I not mind the leather. The list goes on....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,073 Posts
Night Wolf said:
Yeah, they *can* be pretty good off-road.... and most people within the UK swear by them... thats fine.
If your Range Rover has mud all over it, big off-road tires and scratches/dents...... then I salute you for usingthe vehicle as it was designed... adn in your case, the Range Rover is a perfect match.
I just personally never even see any Land Rover being used off-road... then again, here, we have many more trucks better suited for the job.
This is what comes to mind when I think Range Rover:
23" Spinnaz

need that grille guard in case he hits a shopping cart while going to Best Buy, ya know? oh and billet grille = bling

those long highway rides in an off-road vehicle may get boring... so now you can watch a movie....

People in the back wanna watch the movie too!

Here ya go: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/789339
Personally I don't think an off-road vehicle should have TV screens and DVD players in it... ok, so he added those... but a TRUCK or off-road vehicle should have a million gadgets.... even auto climate control is pushing it.... and no truck should have leather seats.... actually, I don't even like leather seats, if I ever bought a RAM/Silverado, I would make certain it dosn't have leather seats.... in some cars (mid size sedans) I prefer the cloth over leather.... only in premium luxury "cars" do I not mind the leather. The list goes on....
My Range Rover, i will admit has toys like that, Navigation, leather, premium stereo, climate control etc, honestly the only one i ever get any benefit from iis the stereo, leather *is* easier to clean in an off roader, doesnt get mud embeded, but mine has seat covers on it anyway, as has the back got a liner in it, it has the standard factory wheels, I also dont get the BLING thing with any truck, My ESV was a standard factory car, nothing altered about it, I dont nderstand why peopel do this. THe Range ROver, in the states at least has a soccro mom image, there it seems to be compare dthe the Lexus, Mercedes and BMW X5, in the country, tis compared to, well, nothing, because there isnt anything that can beat it off road here.

It is way better inside and out than those, because it is a real off road vehicle, whereas I really wouldnt take any Escalade or Suburban places i go in the Landie, because they would cough and die, or get stuck on a ridge somewhere.
 

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
Joined
·
34,087 Posts
Well Rick pretty much owns this thread! :tongue2:
lol jk
 
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Top