Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
CTS-V 2009 White Diamond, 996TT Silver, G35 Coupe 6mt, M45S
413 Posts
I had w4m max performance ecu/tcu installed. Transmission failed. Restored to stock. Got new transmission under warranty. Nobody noticed I had a tune that was subsequently restored to stock. About to put the tunes back on. Sorry, the tunes are just too much fun. I'll take the risk. New tranny was around $2500.

·
Registered
413 Posts
The auto tranny was around $2500. They did a bunch of testing on the failed transmission and billed the loaner car for 8 days. Total billed to GM was $3400. It didn't take them very long to install the new transmission.
Don't know if they actually looked for any mods. The failure was quite unique, 5th gear totally failed to engage.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i
1,840 Posts
Jesse/Wait4Me says he spent a lot of time ensuring that his tunes leave no fingerprints after they're backed out. Still, I suppose it wouldn't hurt for him to have a look at GM service bulletins 08-06-04-033 and 08-06-04-006 just for um, curiosity's sake. What do you say Jesse?

·
Registered
1958 Coupe DeVille
591 Posts
Anyone getting mods done must realize that if your caught, you pay. You take that chance when you mod and that includes me. I've done all kinds of mods with almost everything that W4M has to offer. I go into it knowing that there are no guarrentees. If you can't afford to get caught, then don't do it, these are still very fast cars in stock form. GM has hired people just like Jesse to find all these mods and sometime they win. You mod at your own risk. Cecil.........

·
Registered
Tis Gone :(
3,414 Posts
Your PCM counts key turns and they can read it on a TECH II. Having 2 computers is probably a pretty good idea, just try to make sure you put some turns on the stock one before you take it back in to the dealer. 4000 miles and 2 key turns between visits looks a bit shady.

·
Registered
2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)
4,537 Posts
What is a "key turn" in reference to this situation?

·
Registered
413 Posts
I think what he's saying is that the PCM counts the number of times you start the car. And when you restore it to stock that number would be reset or restored. Can't comment if that is happening.

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts
Been down this road fellas. I'm sure W4M has done his homework. Now get this. When I was being denied warranty claims by my Caddy Dealer on my 2005 CTS-V the dealer actually asked a local tuner for help. The tuner just happens to be the one who installed my ProCharger on my 300. Small world. My guess is the average ASE mechanic doesn't know what their looking for on a "flashed" PCM. It takes a tuner to catch a tuner. :lildevil:

·
Registered
Tis Gone :(
3,414 Posts
Yes the PCM counts how many times the car has been started and it isnt hard to find on a TECH II.

GM recently sent out a message to service departments about major drivetrain replacements work and specified what to do with the TECH II, to take a digital picture and email it to Corporate so they can determine if the PCM has been "tuned" so they can then deny the claim.

I saw the actual message somewhere here, I think its in the V1 forum somewhere but I cant find it.

·
Registered
NONE
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
True, if I blow an engine like a [email protected]$$ then sure I'll pay, but that has no effect on .... lets say the moon roof, or the nav etc.... if they fail and GM detected a tune job but the engine is somewhat modded with bolt ons and a tune should they void "everything"? or just power train.....

I realize this is almost becoming a man vs. auto flamefest so I was just putting out info for perusal and see what people thought.
So is the dividing line of warranty yanking mainly programming or are things like CAI, exhausts included in that? I figure pullies, intercooler, harmonic balancer, throttle body etc are no-no's

·
Registered
NONE
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
True, if I blow an engine like a [email protected]$$ then sure I'll pay, but that has no effect on .... lets say the moon roof, or the nav etc.... if they fail and GM detected a tune job but the engine is somewhat modded with bolt ons and a tune should they void "everything"? or just power train.....

I realize this is almost becoming a man vs. auto flamefest so I was just putting out info for perusal and see what people thought.
So is the dividing line of warranty yanking mainly programming or are things like CAI, exhausts included in that? I figure pullies, intercooler, harmonic balancer, throttle body etc are no-no's

·
Registered
V2
1,079 Posts
Find a good service guy and be straight with him. A good place to start is where you bought your car.

The guy I deal with knows what I am doing. They get paid for the work so putting some effort into the relationship goes a long way. My service guy gets rewarded for nice surveys and I always call and speak with his service manager. He in turn takes care of me.

If you take everything back to stock you will be fine. My service guy told me to remove all the mods before I brought it in on major work because they will have people checking the car.

If the warranty is a big deal for you then don't mod your car. It is simple logic really, remove the possibility and there is no risk.

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts

Well it depends. The 2005 CTS-V came with 245/45/18 rear tires. I put 255/45/18's on. The regional rep' denied my rear differential repair claiming that the extra width on the tires hastened the failure. Oiled K&N style air filters come to mind as an easy way to deny a claim. It really is their game their rules so unless you're willing to sue them, you're SOL. Lot's of people complained about the dealers and lot's of people threatened to do something, but when it's you vs. a TEAM of corporate lawyers....well how deep are your pockets?

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
If the modification directly affects the operation of a system, that system warranty becomes nullified. As far as I am concerned I have to be able to prove that the mode affected it before I'll make noise.

If one bit is changed in the calibrations it will be detected using the method identified in that publication, period. I suppose a good "tuner" could play with the bits to come up with the right number but it would take some serious time.

It seems pretty idiot proof to know that if you modify something it isn't factory equipment anymore and the bill is on you, but as many times as I hear this argument it must be a pretty hard concept to grasp.
We are probably the most lenient dealer for this in the country so don't start chewing me out.
:lol:

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T
3,085 Posts
You pay to play. If you have a tune from a friends friend who owns a "shop" and it nukes well than time to pay up. Thats just like if you lower you car and one of your shocks starts leaking immediatley after. Pay up. Now they say your powertrain warranty will be void if you get caught with a tune dont be suprised. If you up 50hp with a tune and launch the crap out of your v untill the diff lunches itself well than who's really to blame ? In all of these cases a true enthusiasts rebuilds....and rebuilds much much stronger =)

·
Registered
V2
1,079 Posts
You pay to play. If you have a tune from a friends friend who owns a "shop" and it nukes well than time to pay up. Thats just like if you lower you car and one of your shocks starts leaking immediatley after. Pay up. Now they say your powertrain warranty will be void if you get caught with a tune dont be suprised. If you up 50hp with a tune and launch the crap out of your v untill the diff lunches itself well than who's really to blame ? In all of these cases a true enthusiasts rebuilds....and rebuilds much much stronger =)
Yeah I am not a big fan of launching cars or taking it to the track because of all the stuff I have broken because of it. Highway rolls are enough to get my fix :p

BTW did you ever figure out the 4" air intake problem?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts