1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
08 Platinum Escalade, 08 CTS, 01 TransAm WS6, 07 SolsticeGXP
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!
Long time no post here!

Something weird happened today, and I was hoping someone could lead me in the right direction. I did a quick search, but found nothing.

here's the scoop!

I start the car. It runs well. And after 3 seconds, the engine quits.
No mention on the DIC about the security key. No battery issues. Nice strong crank.
Fuel tank is full.

Happened four times in a row. It starts... runs.... and then after 3 seconds, shuts off.

I disconnected the battery and just ran in the house.

Anyone here experience this??

Help is welcome!

Thank you so much!

Mike

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey there!
Thanks for the reply.
Just walked in the door, and haven't tried it, yet!

Funny, in my mind I thought I typed that I have the 3.6 engine! I do!

And yup, it's my 04 that's causing me problems!

...any ideas?

·
Registered
2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"
6,414 Posts
i wonder if it might be your alternator...if you can, take that to Autozone (or your local parts store) and have them test it (they do it for free)

·
Registered
2011 Cadillac CTS-V
46 Posts
This sounds like a theft system malfunction to me.. Does your theft system light come on right before the car shuts off? I had this happen to me before.. Try this... Lock the doors than use your key not the remote to unlock the door and then try and start the car.

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
if it was his theft system, would the car even start? i thought it wouldnt even start and all that other good mess...but it is worth a shot

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi guys!

Thanks for your suggestions so far.

I also thought it seemed like an anti-theft issue, but then again, the security light wasn't flashing on the dash, and it didn't say "Key Malfunction" or "Invalid Key" or whatever it usually says.

It doesn't feel like the alternator... but it's definitely a possibility. Usually when an alternator goes bad, there is some flickering; sputtering; etc.

This time, the car was running strong.... after four seconds, fuel totally cuts off. Finished!

Maybe tomorrow it will work! I will try the thing with various combinations of using the key, etc.

I shall report back.

I also have an OBDII tester at my parents' house. I think this car has a port. I'll see if it's throwing a code........!

·
Registered
2011 Cadillac CTS-V
46 Posts
Yeah what mine did is it would turn over and act like it was going to start (fire up) and then the Theft light would come on and everything would shut down... I was told to manually lock the doors from the inside of the car and close all doors (make sure the car is completely closed up doors and trunk) An then use the Key not the remote to unlock the driver door.. It worked for me, I believe there are even theft deterrent sensors that can go bad.. This can even be casued by someone messing around with your vehicle.... Other than it being theft Im not sure what it could be.

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
but doesnt the car start completely for a few seconds? maybe i am way out in left field on the theft deterent system, but it just doesnt sound right

·
Registered
2011 Cadillac CTS-V
46 Posts
Yes, it did start but not long at all don't remeber its been a while... But as soon as that light would come on everything else would go off.

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,786 Posts
Some gm cars will not even turn over with a wrong key. Some will just turn over but will not stay running. And others will turn and stay running for a few seconds. I've seen all those three with different gm cars I've had. All of them were a theif problem, in which I was producing on purpose for testing.

I have yet to do the test on the cts though. So I don't know how it will react.

KOT

·
Registered
2011 Cadillac CTS-V
46 Posts
It really doesnt even have to be a wrong key or the key being the problem at all.. As I said before something could have tripped one of the theft sensors or something like that. Maybe even un-hooking the positive cable from the battery for a few seconds would clear everything and fix the problem... With the theft system you never know KOT has a point depends on what car your messing with as to what it will do under the many different circumstances.

·
Registered
Cadillac
32 Posts
I had this exact problem with an old Chrysler LeBaron I had years ago. Mechanic had it months and couldn't figure it out. He finally said the alternator was bad and replaced it. On my way home I noticed the turn signals flashing a bit slow; got home and noticed the alternator wire wasn't hooked up. Soon as I connected it the engine died! Disconnect the alternator, and it started/ran fine. Connect the alternator again, it immediately died.

To make a long story short, it was the spark plugs. They were worn so bad that the computer was detecting some sort of malfunction and shutting down the fuel. It only happened with the alternator hooked up because the coil was getting an extra volt and a half or so on the primary, and with the plugs so worn, there was essentially no load on the secondary circuit which the computer apparently sensed. I spotted this using an oscilloscope; the 3 seconds it would run with the alternator connected displayed a ton of trash instead of the nice pulses I saw w/o the alternator connected.

It didn't throw any codes (this was well before OBDII), but it took me a couple weeks working on it to figure out 4 new plugs and it ran fine for another 50,000 miles until my wife ran it over a speed bump and collapsed the rusty subframe. I couldn't complain, though, 260,000 miles, original clutch, and almost 40 MPG (it was only getting about 30 MPG when it had the plug problem).

·
Registered
NONE - was 2006 CTS. Now 2012 4LT Centennial GS Corvette
388 Posts
I had this happen to me right after I bought my car. I had taken the air cleaner assembly off to clean the throttle body and blade off. One of the clamps slipped off so it was sucking unfiltered air. The clamp appeared to be attached but it wasn't so the only way I found it was by checking things in the engine compartment. Once I got the clamp reattached the issue went away. It may not be your issue but it's something quick and easy to check.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi guys!
Thanks for all the ideas..!
I tried to lock/unlock the doors; leave the battery disconnected;etc.
No luck.
I just had it towed a block away to a local garage. Hopefully he'll find something.
If not, it's off to the dealer! :(

Will keep you posted!!!

Thanks for all the posts!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts