Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
'05 CTS-V (sold)
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving home last night from work and decided to accelerate up to a very fun 270 degree on-ramp. Went 3/4 throttle through 1st and grabbed 2nd gear with about the same amount of throttle...nothing too crazy. Well, as soon as I grabbed 2nd my car went from MONSTER to a LIMP wus. The car put itself into the low power mode and wouldn't go over 1000 or so rpms. I barely made it to the side of the road safely. People behind me must have thought I was f'in with them :rant2: and I could see they were getting pissed as I tried to get over to the side. So embarrassing!

Anyway, the very awesome Caddy Roadside got a towtruck out to me and we towed it to the dealership. Baby-V looked so sad from the cabin of the towtruck...all jacked up some cheap-ass crack-whore. :eek:

I did unplug the battery to see if I could reset the computer but that didn't seem to work. I guess I'll just have to let the service dept find out the problem. BTW, they installed the Maggie so I hope they don't use that as an excuse. Also, I have the Magnuson warranty so I hope that covers any potential engine problems. Hopefully it's nothing too bad. Ughhh!

·
Registered
(did) CTS-V
723 Posts
I was on the track once and had my car (actually I was borrowing a friends WRX hahahaha) and the power dropped suddenly. The instructor thought I lifted and told me not to do that mid-corner. It took 1/2 lap of arguing that I didnt lift before we realized she was almost out of gas. It turns out, the car was low on gas and in the high-g environment, it starved the fuel pump. Just an idea.

·
Registered
'05 CTS-V (sold)
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
v-ape said:
I was on the track once and had my car (actually I was borrowing a friends WRX hahahaha) and the power dropped suddenly. The instructor thought I lifted and told me not to do that mid-corner. It took 1/2 lap of arguing that I didnt lift before we realized she was almost out of gas. It turns out, the car was low on gas and in the high-g environment, it starved the fuel pump. Just an idea.
I thought of that too but I had just filled the fuel tank about 15 miles before this happened. I put 4 gal of 101 octane and the rest 92 octane. Besides, the car wouldn't keep doing this after getting to level ground.

I also wasn't banked so I don't think it was oil. The dealership did a "hot oil" change just 2 wks ago so everything should have been full and clean.

·
Registered
2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V
3,570 Posts
v-ape said:
Car & Driver reported having the same thing happen to them during testing, except they had over 1/2 a tank of gas still. Apparently, it's not all that uncommon when performance driving...:confused:

·
Registered
'05 CTS-V (sold)
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
adianaty said:
I don't think that was a limp mode. Your throttle position sensor probably took a dump.
I hope it's something this simple. Would this throw a specific code?

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
I've had the throttle position sensor error out like this a few times before (specifically when running the Magnuson tune, which could be coincidence).

The fix is to turn the car off. Hold the gas pedal to the floor. Try to start the car (it won't). Turn it off again. Remove foot from gas pedal. Start car and all is well.

WW

·
Registered
'05 CTS-V (sold)
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm, maybe I should drive over to the dealership and try it. It's still parked outside where I left it last night.

·
FAQ is your Friend
CTS-V
3,987 Posts
If it said "reduced power" on the display, its not gas... could be the TAC like WildWhl suggested...

Low on gas wont cause a reduce pwoer condition.

Just checked "the book" and it does indeed suggest that this message is cuased by the TAC (throttle acutator control):
----------

The TAC system components include but is not limited to the following:
The accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor
The throttle body
The throttle actuator control (TAC) module
The powertrain control module (PCM)

Each of these components interface together in order to ensure accurate calculations, and in order to control the throttle position.
--------

Could be any of the above... Did you change/ mess with any of these?

If not, sensor could have gone bad (it happens)

Reed

·
Registered
'05 CTS-V (sold)
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dealer called today and said the Throttle-Body needs to be replaced. Apparantly a hardware failure. I mentioned the relearn procedure as WildWhl suggested but they said it didn't work. Still possible they didn't do it right but I assume that they'll have to relearn it w/ the new part anyway. Should get her back tomorrow or Monday...

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V
151 Posts
Mine did the same thing. The dealer had to replace the throttle body. It's apparently a rather common problem. I don't know what breaks more often, rear ends or throttle bodies. Maybe we can do a survey to see how many throttle bodies have been replaced.....

·
Registered
'05 CTS-V (sold)
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ta206 said:
Mine did the same thing. The dealer had to replace the throttle body. It's apparently a rather common problem. I don't know what breaks more often, rear ends or throttle bodies. Maybe we can do a survey to see how many throttle bodies have been replaced.....
Common eh? GM should definitely do a quality control check then - b/c I almost crashed when it happened. I was trying to merge onto the highway when the power went out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts