Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My landlady just had an estimate done to replace siding on ONE side of the house.

You could say there are three levels to it. Ground is the “basement” next level is the first and then the top or second.

Also there is the roof for the garage taking up a good portion of the side. I would like to say it’s about 30 feet tall roughly 25 feet wide. Taking into the account of not having to do so much.

I am totally shocked by what they said it’ll cost...

$15,000. Have I lost that much of connection? Or is that a normal rate for one side of the house?

KOT

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
That's alot of money for one side... Tell her I'll travel and do it for half that and still be ripping her off.

·
Super Moderator 2003 Deville Base SEMPER PARATUS
4,331 Posts
sounds high to me. unless she is able to raise your rent for this, why do you care?

·
Registered
9,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Because then I'll make sure that I won't buy a house with vinyl siding. I never liked it anyways, looks way too fake, and now knowing how much it can cost... Screw that.

Oh I forgot to mention, this wasn't the first estimate. The other one, or two, were around the same price range.

This is my first house that I've lived in with it. And I've also messed around with it, covered a hole and installed a door bell in the same area. And it was awful working with it.

KOT

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Because then I'll make sure that I won't buy a house with vinyl siding. I never liked it anyways, looks way too fake, and now knowing how much it can cost... Screw that.

Oh I forgot to mention, this wasn't the first estimate. The other one, or two, were around the same price range.

This is my first house that I've lived in with it. And I've also messed around with it, covered a hole and installed a door bell in the same area. And it was awful working with it.

KOT
The problem is that the alternatives are far worse. I agree with the rest of the posts though, 10-$15k is the going rate to re-side an entire house. One wall should be in the $3-5k range. Keep looking.

The attractive part of vinyl is that it's generally a "lifetime" solution. Big up front cost, but you only have to do it once. Wood requires a lot of restorative work every 5-10 years, flexlite requires patching every few years, brick requires cleaning and mortar work every few years. Vinyl needs nothing more than a pressure wash every few years, often not even that. I'm going to be getting flexlite for the front facade of my house (big two story) and i'm looking at about $18k...that's one wall essentially.

·
Registered
432 Posts
We got an estimate to side our house 21 years ago after we bought it. It's just a two-bedroom ranch with a one car garage.

The estimate was around $13k. We passed as that was just a little under 1/4 of what we paid for the house.

·
-Administrator- 2002.5 F55 STS 2014 FWD Explorer
66,607 Posts
When we built our 2600 sf home in 1987 the original floorplan and specs were for cedar siding. In discussions with the contractor/builders it was offered "... to build a 2.5 car garage with storage loft, pulldown ladder, remote electrical doors, workbench, smooth concrete floor, lighting...." in exchange for vinyl siding instead of the cedar. Immediate deal - wood siding, whether painted, stained, oiled - is one miserable expensive constant bitch to maintain. Ask my neighbor across the road.

Never regretted the vinyl change order for one second. Not one.

The replacement cost - no idea there.

·
Registered
9,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I lived in a house for over 30 years, built 1979, with all wood siding. We never touched it, with the exception of cleaning every now and then. The only issue was the back where the gutter fell off, due to my dad screwing around. But it was never put back up. Then after 10 plus years of no gutter, the wood below it had surcome to the weather. Other than that, all was fine.

KOT

1 - 10 of 10 Posts