Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooo, for about 2yrs ive had an issue where the heat would never get very warm. While my car was at dealer last year for deer damage, they told me I had a stuck thermostat and code showed engine not reaching correct opterating temp. Thats why I replaced the thermostat in my recent timing belt replacement thread for the 3.2L....

ok, new thermostat & full coolant in the car. I found that my passenger side would get 9million degrees and driver side vents were luke warm. I searched the forums and read all the related heater core threads and core flushing stuff. Ok!! I had a game plan. Flush heater core really good and hope I dont have to replace the darn thing.

I found that I didnt have any time in the next few weeks to flush it myself and I was tired of the defrosted passenger side and iced over driver side windshield. I called a local place I somewhat trusted and they quoted me $30 to flush the heater core. I felt like $30 was worth the hassle of flushing a heater core in 2degree weather so I had them do it.

The guy drops my car off and says nothing but clean coolant came out. I said, well shoot that sucks!!! He pipes out, well I found that the little electric assist pump coming off the heater core line was unplugged.

I DID NOT TOUCH THAT CONNECTOR WHEN DOING MY TIMING STUFF....which means its probably been unhooked for awhile.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well my conclusion? Heat is HOT and even on both sides!!! So I dont know if it was the flushing or the unhooked afterboil pump... BUT if anyone else is going through this right now, defenitely check that dang pump!! and flush core before attempting replacement! Good Luck. -Matt

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey im having the same issue, i did a heater core flush and nothing changed, where is this pump and do you have a picture? as i am new to working with cars!

·
Registered
187 Posts
There's a tiny servo that controls a vent door that regulates how much heat come from the lower HVAC vent. If that thing dies, you get no heat. Ask me how I know. Not too terribly hard to expensive to fix, but you literally have to stand on your head to get to it

·
Registered
95 Posts
On my 05 the driver side didn't heat or cool right without me moving the temp control from one extreme to the other and then setting to desired temperature. After awhile of doing this it had freed up the door or the servo that moved the door and now works properly

·
Registered
383 Posts
On my 05 the driver side didn't heat or cool right without me moving the temp control from one extreme to the other and then setting to desired temperature. After awhile of doing this it had freed up the door or the servo that moved the door and now works properly
oh nice, I haven't heard of this before.
I have the same issue but it isn't as bad as other people post, both side are blowing hot air except I noticed the passenger side is hotter.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well my '03 is ice cold for driver side and after a while warm on passenger side,.... Anyone here that can help me i would be greatfull for ever,.... Lol my wife is cold and im tired of hearing about it

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well i have very hot heat on hoses going in and out of heater core under hood,.... But i think its something in the dash not opening up the drivers side heat????

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
wont comment on the "90 percent" of the time comment, but I flushed mine once and it has been almost 3 or 4 years with no other issues. its a very simple and cheap thing to do and surely worth a shot......just saying

·
Registered
978 Posts
wont comment on the "90 percent" of the time comment, but I flushed mine once and it has been almost 3 or 4 years with no other issues. its a very simple and cheap thing to do and surely worth a shot......just saying
well speaking more on the inability for one side to heat issue. It's safe to assume if one side heats, and the other doesn't the heater core and inlet lines are working. as opposed to both sides not working.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the exact same problem with my 03 CTS only having heat on the passenger side. After doing the heater core flush and adding some CLR to the core, let it sit for 5 minutes then flush again. I Repeat and flush it out from the opposite side/line for a few minutes. This worked great for me!!!

You might not have to use the CLR, but for about $7.00 more, you can't go wrong for the added sense of security. I also used hot water, but I'm not sure if that helped or not.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Briggy,.... I'm thinking that in your first link door # 52 is stuck closed,?????? or just opening a lil bit, because it is not ice cold but way less than luke warm but if i set temp to 60 degrees its "ice" cold so i think its moving a tad but just not much. but my ac works like a champ so im thinking of pulling dash panel under steering wheel and mabey dr side of console? to gain accsess to see if i can tell how much movement that door has mabey stick a coat hanger threw the edge to "push" it on open?????

----------

also, i have tried turning it all the way up then down a couple hundred times to try and free up the door with no results,?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have this happen to me. Did the heater core flush worked until the next winter. I was checking a leak under the hood last week when I notice the Heater Control Valve was leaking a bit. Ordered the replacement part form R.A. installed and guess what the driver side got a lot warmer than usual. Now its about the same temp. on the driver and passenger after the change. So you might want to check this out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I realize this thread is two year old, since the last post.

My grandson bought a 2007 in June and with the very mild fall so far hasn't really needed the heater, but tonight he called to say that he had no heat. He says the fan sounds like it is running, but no air is coming out of either side (driver or pass). I'm going to check tomorrow for hot fluid going to and from the core (I might do a core flush, just for good measure), but it sounds more to me like a flapper that is closed not allowing the air to flow. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sooo, for about 2yrs ive had an issue where the heat would never get very warm. While my car was at dealer last year for deer damage, they told me I had a stuck thermostat and code showed engine not reaching correct opterating temp. Thats why I replaced the thermostat in my recent timing belt replacement thread for the 3.2L....

ok, new thermostat & full coolant in the car. I found that my passenger side would get 9million degrees and driver side vents were luke warm. I searched the forums and read all the related heater core threads and core flushing stuff. Ok!! I had a game plan. Flush heater core really good and hope I dont have to replace the darn thing.

I found that I didnt have any time in the next few weeks to flush it myself and I was tired of the defrosted passenger side and iced over driver side windshield. I called a local place I somewhat trusted and they quoted me $30 to flush the heater core. I felt like $30 was worth the hassle of flushing a heater core in 2degree weather so I had them do it.

The guy drops my car off and says nothing but clean coolant came out. I said, well shoot that sucks!!! He pipes out, well I found that the little electric assist pump coming off the heater core line was unplugged.

I DID NOT TOUCH THAT CONNECTOR WHEN DOING MY TIMING STUFF....which means its probably been unhooked for awhile.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well my conclusion? Heat is HOT and even on both sides!!! So I dont know if it was the flushing or the unhooked afterboil pump... BUT if anyone else is going through this right now, defenitely check that dang pump!! and flush core before attempting replacement! Good Luck. -Matt
I'm the same problem changed the servo motor flushed the heater core only but clean coolant came out my thought was it might be the auxiliary pump i'm going to give that a try cause the servo motor is what the dealer said was the problem but wasn't it

1 - 20 of 20 Posts