Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo,
What is the correct temp to allow you car to warm up to in the morning on a freash start?
2: Is it normal for the steering wheel on a 95 seville to shake ever so lightly, just enough to feel it? The is only when driving.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Well, you don't realy have to let the car warm up, just start it up and drive it. It will warm up faster anyway. Just remember not to floor it while it's cold, since you'll just burn alot of oil, as the gap between the piston rings, and the cylinder wall haven't tightened up yet, being cold and all. Once it warms up then your good.

As far as the steering wheel shaking, I would say no, but some car do it, while others don't. At what speeds, and direction does it happened. While going straight or tunring, or going fast or slow? Depending on the circumstances during which the wheels shakes, it could be caused by different things, such as your suspenion, or even you P/S pump.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
You only need to let it run 5-10 seconds or so. Enough to lube the engine, no need to warm it if you drive reasonably slowly til it does warm up.

No.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the shake is only when going like 55 or above. It isnt bad, it is just noticable. Also, SOMETIME when im reversing and turning, say out of a driveway, i get a slight grinding noise from the steering wheel. Its not all the time, but it does happen. I dont know if this is related, but it could be. Like, could the P/S pump be going? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
The shake is most likely an out of balance tire or an alignment needed.

I rotated my tire early in the summer. After that rotation, I started getting a shake at higher speeds. Tread was getting low anyway, so I put new tires on all the way around. No more shake.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Well a power steering pump would shake the whel at much lower speeds liek when parking, because that's when the maximum amoutn of assist is needed by the pump. At highway speed though, I would say that either you alignment is off (most like toe), or that your wheels are unbalanced. It is possible that you maybe just threw a weight off of one wheel which does happen, and can cause a shake at highway speeds like you describe. If your alignment is out of wack (more likley) than that can also cause a shake or shimmy as well, since both tires are not rolling in the same direction acronss the road surface. I would take it to a local, reputable alignment shop that does alot of work, and have them throw you car up on the rack and check to see if your alignments out. While your there, if the alignment seems fine, I would have pull, and balance each wheel, and rotate as necessary. If an alignment, and wheel rotation/balanceing doesn't help, then you might have a damaged component. Stuff liek loose tierods, or damaged control arms usually show up during an alignment anyway. Take it to a shop and get it checked tou first, before you do anything drastic.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the input. It all makes since. When cruzing on the highway, i let go of the wheel(dont worry, not for long time). When i do this, my car pulls to the left, telling me its out of alignment. Its a rather drastic pull too. So, maybe they just need aligned. thanks alot

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
FYI, a bad tire will cause a pull. Check the tires for uneven wear.

My wife's car had a tire wear really badly and across. The outside was still deep, the inside went bald. It was the tire, not alignment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
zonie77