Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1997 SLS
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of questions for dashboard pros…on my 97 SLS just above left center A/C vent is a mysterious hole between the dashboard and the dash pad. It has 3 small rectangular ports maybe 1/8 inch wide. What is it? Should it be cleaned? I was thinking it might be some kind of inside air temp sensor.
Also, I wondered were the sensor for the external temperature readout was located? I assume it’s somewhere in or near the front grille but have never spotted it. I’m thinking by now it should be wiped clean for more accurate results, but where is it? Thanks! Greg

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Sounds like inside temp sensor, but I do not have an SLS. I believe that was where my SDV had one.

Ambient air sensor is usually in front of radiator, about 2 inches long, shaped like a tapered cigarette. Temp discrepancy typically comes from engine heat when you are stopped in traffice. When moving, that heat dissipates.

You can do a search.

·
Registered
1997 SLS
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks z06bigbird – I took the plastic panel off over the radiator and found a vertically mounted small cylinder with and electrical clip on the top. It looks more like a fat crayon than a tapered cigarette, but it was dirty so I wiped it clean with glass cleaner. I would have thought it would be metal, but perhaps the metal components are inside the “crayon”. I found this sensor to be directly under the main hood latch centered in front of the radiator, like you mentioned. I’ve suspected that it was reading low lately so I’ll see if it now agrees with the ambient temps outside (115 here today).
As far as the mystery hole in the dash, I may just run a vacuum gently over it now and then to be sure no dust has accumulated in there.
Greg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts