Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I own an 05 STS4 and an 05 Escalade. The steering wheel controls for the same function are in different locations, the gas caps are on opposite sides, the Escalade radio system shows the station name on the "button" displays while the STS only shows the XM channel # (way too many to memorize) or station number, the Nav system functionality is better (and different) on the Escalade. Excuse my whining, but do GM engineers think buyers don't drive each others' vehicles? Or perhaps they don't think people will ever buy two Cadillacs!

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
I understand what you're getting at, but you have to realize that the two vehicles are built in plants on opposite sides of the country, as well as the fact that the Escalade shares many interior pieces and the frame (therefore fuel tank) with the already existing GM truck family.

The STS, CTS and SRX were built on a platform specifically engineered for a "worldwide" vehicle, they chose the more common (overseas) passenger side gas lid. They also had needed a supplier to provide a Nav unit with VR, 5.1, bluetooth, etc... to be competitive in their class. The Escalade's competition didin't have features like this at the time it was designed, so they must not have been deemed important.

Someone at GM agrees with you though, because the new Escalade shares a center console with the STS. HVAC and Nav controls are identical, so it appears that they're moving toward integration.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts