Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2009 SRX V6 RWD, 2011 CTS Premium Coupe
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. I have a Premium coupe, and therefore supposedly have the Bose 5.1 sound system. My stereo has no ".1" at all. Is it possible for the sub to blow or drop out somehow without buzzing or making any obnoxious sound at all?

2. Where is the amp?

·
Registered
'12 CTS Performance Sports Wagon AWD
2,823 Posts
? what radio do you have? There are three different radios. The NAV radio has a pop up color screen. The Hard Drive radio says Hard Drive on it. And then the base radio.

The base radio is an 8 speaker system and the other 2 are 10 speaker systems. The Base radio has a very under powered subwoofer. The 10 speaker systems has a more powerful subwoofer but still anemic. I upgraded the 10 speaker subwoofer in my wagon to a Cerwin Vega special use subwoofer that is self powered and has a lot of bass now.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a Premium Coupe. Therefore, I have, as I said, the Bose 5.1 radio with the hard drive.

·
Registered
2014 ELR
186 Posts
The amp is in the trunk, left side.
The Sub is middle of rear package shelf.
Check all your fuses and check the connector to the sub.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The amp is in the trunk, left side.
The Sub is middle of rear package shelf.
Check all your fuses and check the connector to the sub.

View attachment 584649
There is, of course, no way to check the actual connections to the sub, or the other rear deck speakers, as they're all above the metal inside the trunk. I did check and the sub is working, it's just not producing any perceptible audio in the driver's seat. I guess I will have to play with the settings until the upscale Bose system in my $51K car sounds as good as the Monsoon stereo in my $31K car. Pathetic.

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
9,151 Posts
Your 2011 soundsystem was designed years before the 2008 introduction of the second generation CTS.
Yes, it's outdated. It's also a teenager at this point and we know how uncooperative they can be.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your 2011 soundsystem was designed years before the 2008 introduction of the second generation CTS.
Yes, it's outdated. It's also a teenager at this point and we know how uncooperative they can be.
The problem with your argument, of course, is that the Monsoon in the Pontiac is even OLDER, and still superior.

·
Registered
'12 CTS Performance Sports Wagon AWD
2,823 Posts
There is no "5.1" system. However the fact yours is a radio with a hard drive does mean it is the 10 speaker system.

As I already said, the subwoofer in these cars is anemic. The amplifier is mounted to the subwoofer in your car and there should be a fuse somewhere for it. Not sure what fuse it is as I never tracked it down in my car. In my car I replaced the barely audible subwoofer with the above mentioned Cerwin Vega self powered subwoofer and you definetly know the bass is there now.

If you are looking for "great" sound out of your car good luck. The speakers are cheap and not intended for high quality sound. I still am considering my options here. It is expensive to replace the factory system but can be done. You have basically 5 3.5" speakers with 2 in the back deck and 3 in the front dash, a pair of I believe its 9" speakers in the front doors, 6" speakers in the back doors and the 10" subwoofer in the rear deck(Door speakers may be slightly different sized. I have pictures around here somewhere from when I pulled the door panels and replaced the door handles on the passenger side front and rear.)

To create that nice sound you are looking for requires 1 of two routes. Both routes require new amplifiers and new speakers.

One route is to use the factory deck and just upgrade the amplifier/speakers but you need an interface that can combine the channels back into full range channels then from there split them back out. A member here competed and won in a national audio contest with the factory head unit with such an interface and upgrading the speakers and amplifiers.

The second route is to replace the head unit in your car with an after market unit. There are some different options but they are not cheap to adapt. Then you can go directly to the amplifiers without an interface.

If you keep the factory head unit and just upgrade amplifier and speakers you should be able to upgrade to the Navigation head unit reasonably easy in that car. Should be pretty much plug and play but requires about $800 in parts. Then if you want to get Android Auto or something similar you need to spend a little more money on an aftermarket interface to make it work. With the interface the radio is actually nice.

With this audio system Cadillac really missed the boat. I have not heard newer systems to know if they are any better. BOSE is normally weak in top end and low end by design. BOSE engineers generally engineer a system that only produces the sounds they think you can hear well and don't care about the quality of sound over all. Most audio shops have a saying "If it lacks highs and lows, it must be BOSE".

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
5,126 Posts
Long, you are being amazingly restrained and tolerant.

·
Registered
9,151 Posts
The problem with your argument, of course, is that the Monsoon in the Pontiac is even OLDER, and still superior.
It wasn't an argument, it was a statement which still holds true.
Good luck troubleshooting your issue(s).

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,813 Posts
Reactions: Long

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,813 Posts
The connections on these systems have had some corrosion issues. Perhaps cleaning them and adding some dielectric preservative might help. There were some ancient threads on this topic.

·
Registered
9,151 Posts
Depends on time of day and if you have taken your meds
I just said I was capable, not that I regularly used those traits.
The doctor pulled my prescriptions after I assaulted him at my last visit.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The connections on these systems have had some corrosion issues. Perhaps cleaning them and adding some dielectric preservative might help. There were some ancient threads on this topic.
And again, how do I GET TO the connections? They are above the metal in the top of the trunk.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It wasn't an argument, it was a statement which still holds true.
Good luck troubleshooting your issue(s).
But is obliterated by my statement, which you're still ignoring.

Whatever.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There is no "5.1" system. However the fact yours is a radio with a hard drive does mean it is the 10 speaker system.

As I already said, the subwoofer in these cars is anemic. The amplifier is mounted to the subwoofer in your car and there should be a fuse somewhere for it. Not sure what fuse it is as I never tracked it down in my car. In my car I replaced the barely audible subwoofer with the above mentioned Cerwin Vega self powered subwoofer and you definetly know the bass is there now.

If you are looking for "great" sound out of your car good luck. The speakers are cheap and not intended for high quality sound. I still am considering my options here. It is expensive to replace the factory system but can be done. You have basically 5 3.5" speakers with 2 in the back deck and 3 in the front dash, a pair of I believe its 9" speakers in the front doors, 6" speakers in the back doors and the 10" subwoofer in the rear deck(Door speakers may be slightly different sized. I have pictures around here somewhere from when I pulled the door panels and replaced the door handles on the passenger side front and rear.)

To create that nice sound you are looking for requires 1 of two routes. Both routes require new amplifiers and new speakers.

One route is to use the factory deck and just upgrade the amplifier/speakers but you need an interface that can combine the channels back into full range channels then from there split them back out. A member here competed and won in a national audio contest with the factory head unit with such an interface and upgrading the speakers and amplifiers.

The second route is to replace the head unit in your car with an after market unit. There are some different options but they are not cheap to adapt. Then you can go directly to the amplifiers without an interface.

If you keep the factory head unit and just upgrade amplifier and speakers you should be able to upgrade to the Navigation head unit reasonably easy in that car. Should be pretty much plug and play but requires about $800 in parts. Then if you want to get Android Auto or something similar you need to spend a little more money on an aftermarket interface to make it work. With the interface the radio is actually nice.

With this audio system Cadillac really missed the boat. I have not heard newer systems to know if they are any better. BOSE is normally weak in top end and low end by design. BOSE engineers generally engineer a system that only produces the sounds they think you can hear well and don't care about the quality of sound over all. Most audio shops have a saying "If it lacks highs and lows, it must be BOSE".

Says, "5.1." Four times.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts