Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1995 FTS
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Twin-turbo M5 and M7 prototypes

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9070910.004/bmw-m5-twin-turbo-and-m7-prototypes-spied

Will the M5 get a twin-turbo and be joined by an M7? Mr. Lehmann and Co. have caught an M5 and a 7-Series with extra ventage. It's hypothesized that Audi has understated the RS6's pony count, telling the world it's 580 when it's actually 600. And now with both Mercedes and Audi outdoing the M in the horsepower war, the theory is that that's an insult BMW simply cannot allow. Hence the addition of double-barrel blowers to equalize the equation.

As for the possibility of an M7, all there is to see are a large scoop at the front of the hood and two smaller scoops at the rear. With years of AMG S-Classes and Audi S8's behind us, if there is an M7 on the way, all we can say is: it's about time.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
I'm less concerned about the twin turbos and more concerned about whether they'll give the car a proper 6 speed and it's road balls back.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
I do believe he just ate them. Sad as that is for me to say, because I love the '08 CTS, and even though I do not know much about the '09 V, I can only imagine how awesome it must be.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
Thinking of buying a twin-turbo M5? I suggest you apply for a jumbo mortgage now; and watch out for those ARMS. Which will be higher, the gas-guzzler tax or the closing costs?

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG
2,043 Posts
Unless the new V gets 600 some horsepower, it will once again, be late to the game.

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
4,414 Posts
Twin turbo ....That sounds a great idea for extra HPs .

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
I kinda think BMW is taking the easy road for using forced induction to get high horsepower numbers. Weren't they the company that was always known to get amazing numbers from an engine by NOT using forced induction?

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
You're absolutely right Chad, back in the early 2000's they lambasted Mercedes for investing so heavily in FI on cars such as the E55 AMG, SL65 etc etc etc. BMW was able to pull some incredible numbers out of non-FI engines for along time, but apparently they panicked when they saw some sales were trickling over to MB and began falling back on their previous stance and promoting FI beginning with the 335.

Ironically, BMW is now on the opposite end of that flagpole, as MB has decided to abandon FI beginning with the 6.3L AMG V8, and go back to sheer displacement alone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts