Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
'93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's
4,382 Posts
DopeStar 156 said:
Try it without the vent. The fact that it's warped might be throwing a shadow over it the wrong way.
That's what I'm thinking, since I'm pretty sure the sensor is on the left side, which also happens to be the side that is warped up.

I'm going to try and find a replacement vent, since it only sticks up a little, but was already bugging me...and I'd like to have the lights working correctly, if possible.

·
Registered
1989 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance|2018 Chevy Colorado Z71
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
As far as its location, on my 89 Fleetwood Brougham the twilight sentinel sensor is located under the speaker grille on the dashboard in the far left corner. I'm not particularly favorable of that location because my NJ inspection sticker throws a shadow over it sometimes and it kicks in at inappropriate times. On my exgirlfriend's 91 DeVille it was under the same speaker grille but it was moved to the far right side so it misses the sticker. I would think this change made it's way into the newer model Fleetwood when it was redesigned in 93.

·
Registered
2009 CTS White Diamond base, 1992 Brougham White/White 5.7
643 Posts
Broughamadrosis said:
It's probably worth pulling the dash pad to take a look... or just consider it a new feature - daytime running lights! :D
Since I bought my Brougham in the States and imported it into Canada, I needed Daytime running lights. Earlier today I took the one side screw from the dash and put a black piece of tape over the hole. Instant DRLs! I took her in to be inspected and they marked down that it had daytime running lights.

I'd get a can of dust off and just spray into the hole or lift and do the same, just in case it is dust-buildup. Do you have the sensitivity at Max?

·
Registered
'93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's
4,382 Posts
caddieboy said:
Since I bought my Brougham in the States and imported it into Canada, I needed Daytime running lights. Earlier today I took the one side screw from the dash and put a black piece of tape over the hole. Instant DRLs! I took her in to be inspected and they marked down that it had daytime running lights.

I'd get a can of dust off and just spray into the hole or lift and do the same, just in case it is dust-buildup. Do you have the sensitivity at Max?
It may be dust too, but the vent there is warped too and that bugs me, so I'm just going to try and get a replacement (that's hopefully straight) from the scrap yard.

·
Registered
'78 Superior Cadillac Amublance, '69 Miller Meteor Ambulance
245 Posts
For what starting year of production do they require daytime running lights? Do you have to retrofit them to older vehicles? Personally, I hate daytime running lights. More to distract you from keeping your eyes on the road. One of the worse ideas to ever been created....

If you need to replace the sensor that is located under the dash pad, you also have to replace the control module that is located in the left front kick panel. They are matched units and must be replaced as such. They are factory set and there is no field adjustments possible.... Occasionally you will find a NOS unit on eBay, but you must be careful to check with the seller to make sure that it is complete with the sensor still taped to it from the factory. Anything under $50 is a great price, but usually they sell in the $100 - $125 range. Sometimes you will find them listed for other than Cadillac, but as far as I know, they are all interchangeable for similar years. I know that the 1976 - 79 Cadillacs are all the same, and that the Buick units will also work, even though the part number is differant...... Junk.....

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
I think they started needing daytime running lights in 1990. But even then not all cars had it. Mine doesn't. If you get a car from another country and it doesn't have them you need to add it. They aren't any more distracting then headlights are and they aren't nearly as bad as all those super bright headlights are that they have now or that people add to their cars. Some of them are so bright its like they have their high beams on all the time.

·
Registered
2009 CTS White Diamond base, 1992 Brougham White/White 5.7
643 Posts
Don't forget about those little cans of air to use on a computer keyboard. One brand is "Dust Off"....what the heck, it's worth a try.
Carefull when using Dustoff. If the can isn't completely upright, you'll spray a ton of JUNK.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I have the same problem, but I thought it might be my registration, ect. Here in Texas, we have two 2" x 3" stickers that must go in the lower driver's corner. Plus I have a parking permit which also must go there. Essentially, The whole corner of my winshield is blocked in an "L" form. Does this make difference for the sentinel? Because during the day, those stickers cast a heavy shadow right over the sensor.

·
Registered
1989 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance|2018 Chevy Colorado Z71
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I have the same problem, but I thought it might be my registration, ect. Here in Texas, we have two 2" x 3" stickers that must go in the lower driver's corner. Plus I have a parking permit which also must go there. Essentially, The whole corner of my winshield is blocked in an "L" form. Does this make difference for the sentinel? Because during the day, those stickers cast a heavy shadow right over the sensor.
My NJ inspection sticker does the same thing but last inspection I had them put it a little more recessed into the lower corner.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hey guys/gals. I have twighlight Sentinel issue with my '92 FWB. The problems is that even on a low setting, the lights stay on like 10 minutes!! On the the lowest/shortest setting, most of the time it is like 3minutes...but have had it on for 5 minutes! What can I do to fix this? If I set it to longest setting...I'm fearing it would be on 30 minutes or more draining my battery.

thanks

21 - 31 of 31 Posts