Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s been a long time since I last posted and it’s regrettable that I return with a negative thread, but I felt that it’s important for everyone to know the service experience I had with Tustin Cadillac. It is so unfortunate that I’m writing this, because this dealer was so close to getting high marks, but instead joins the dismal ranks of Mark Christopher; click here http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum/59588-mark-christopher-cadillac-blows.html if you require more details about that fiasco.

As some of you may recall, I’ve had some pretty horrific experiences with previous dealerships and the last thing I wanted was another Mark Christopher, but for some reason it seems people just like to f with me.

Anyhow, I made an appointment about two weeks before hand to bring my car in for the clunk, the diff whine and various rattles. This was my first service appointment in a very long time and the first one at Tustin Cadillac; not because I didn’t have any issues with the car, but because I had just grown fed up dealing with these a-hole dealers. But eventually the car developed a rattle that was just driving me up a wall, so I first checked the DealerRank on the FAQ but found no winners. I finally decided I would call Renick Cadillac, but I quickly discovered just by talking to them over the phone that they had their heads up their asses. They even told me that Cadillac no longer authorizes loaner/rental vehicles for longer than a day. Anyone else heard of this? They also said that they would have to disassemble the differential to find why it was whining. Need I say more?

So I proceeded to call Tustin Cadillac and was fortunate enough to speak with Joe who was very helpful and I was very pleased with. I took my car in on Tuesday and received a call on Thursday from Joe saying that his boss, Bill Reynolds, will not replace the failed bushing on the differential that is causing the clunk, because he believes that it was caused by “aggressive driving.” Joe admitted that if it was up to him that he would cover it and also stated that he can’t understand why a manufacturer would market a car like the V and not expect people to drive it aggressively. He then suggested that I call Cadillac Customer Service to resolve the issue. I told him that I didn’t want to go above his boss without first speaking to him directly, because at that point I was sure that he would listen to reason and we could solve this in a very amicable way. But I then pointed out to Joe that if they are going to replace the diff for the whine, then the bushing would come with it and it is essentially a non-issue. He said that he’d look at it and get back to me. I said great.

Today, Joe calls me and says that they hear a whine but that they can’t be sure where it is coming from until the diff bushing is replaced, because the failed bushing may be causing the whine to resonate into the cabin. I said okay, then replace it and continue with your diagnosis. Joe then reiterated what his boss said yesterday about me having to pay to replace the bushing. I kindly asked Joe that he please transfer me to Bill so that I can get this resolved.

So after playing a bit of phone tag, I had the distinct displeasure of speaking with Bill Reynolds. Yet another one of GM’s finest that should be no where near a customer, or any human being at any given time regardless the circumstance. Bill stated that “he” will not cover the bushing because the failure was caused by aggressive driving and that that failure only occurs from doing clutch dumps. I asked him how he has any idea of my driving habits? He replied, well your car is modified. I said so you’re saying because I have headers and a short throw shifter that I automatically do clutch dumps? He then replied, all I’m saying is that the bushing rarely fails. I asked him where he was getting this information from because I know for a fact that this bushing commonly fails. He said that they have CTS’s and SRX’s all the time in here and they never have issues with that bushing. I said, well the regular CTS has a motor that makes half the power of the V so that would make sense. He then said, and I kid you not although I am admittedly paraphrasing, power has nothing to do with the forces on the differential. I said you have got to be kidding me, give me one logical reason why you should deny my warranty. He replied, well bushings don’t just fail at 20K miles. I said well neither should shocks, navigation units, airbag sensors, sun visors, driveshafts and oil pan seals (all items which I’ve had to have replaced by the way), but those all seemed to fail before 20K miles so how can you tell me that this bushing was engineered to some higher degree. He just replied, well this is different. Not surprisingly, he found that he couldn’t explain why it was different when I pushed him to elaborate.

I tried putting things in perspective for him, hoping that if I carefully explained the consequences of what he was doing, he would understand that it wasn’t worth losing a customer over and having this story plastered on the forum. But nothing fazed him, he was going to stand firmly on the ridiculous belief that the car was driven aggressively and therefore the warranty should be denied no matter the consequence.

He repeated several times that the conversation was over and that I can take it up with Customer Service, but I insisted that I was the customer and that I would decide when the conversation ended. He eventually hung up on me, since I refused to get off the phone until he would either replace the bushing or the entire differential for the whine.

I immediately called Cadillac Customer Service and spoke with a woman who I don’t recall her name (Amy?), but she was very friendly despite being completely ignorant. I told her the story and she said that she would call the dealer and find out their story. I waited on hold while she spoke with Mr. Physics expert. She got back on the phone and informed me that she can’t help me because my car is “heavily modified” and that the mods caused the failure. I was shocked and said “Heavily modified?! I have a short throw shifter and headers.” She replied, “Don’t you have exhaust too?” I said no, only the headers. She said, well the service manager believes that the short throw shifter has caused the driveline to weaken. I was even more surprised by this and told her that he is flat out lying to you and that the shifter would have absolutely no effect on the strength of the driveline. She just replied, well that’s what he said and the dealer has the final word on warranty repairs. I told her that I couldn’t believe this and I questioned the efficacy of an impotent customer service hotline. I asked for Kyle Hulings, who was such a big help to me and others on this forum in the past, but apparently he doesn’t work there anymore.

As promised, here I am holding up my end of the bargain since I told Bill that I would post this story on the V forum and that he better hope that it doesn’t end up on the first page of Google like what happened with the one that I did for Mark Christopher. But alas, he would rather fight with me and customer service while having this story plastered on the forum, rather then replacing a single bushing. Smart move, but what else can you expect from a guy who thinks engine power has nothing to do with forces on a differential.

Yes Bill, you are in fact the poster boy for the campaign to officially make “Cadillac Customer Service” an oxymoron.

·
Registered
2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V
3,570 Posts
That's amazing. This Bill gentleman sounds like a real "winner" if he spoke to you & actually handled it that way...

·
Registered
12 CTS Coupe Premium/Touring, 16 Volt, 13 911s, 07 Legacy GT Wagon
1,802 Posts
That is the typical dealer BS.
I don't see how it hurts them to just waranty the bushing.
They act like GM will give them brownie points for denying claims.

However, if you do find a dealer willing to repair your diff, despite your headers, please let us know who it is.
Most SoCal dealers will consider that a severe mod.

I think it's tme for you to get a Maggie, because your days of warranty are over now anyways. :alchi:

BTW - You kept your stock exhaust with the headers?
How does it sound and perform?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BTW - You kept your stock exhaust with the headers?
How does it sound and perform?
I still wanted the car to be quiet and the headers really didn't change the sound. It's a good thing too, since my friend with a Zo6 just got pulled over for loud exhaust and was forced to remove the exhaust and headers.

It dynoed at 365 rwhp after the headers.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I still wanted the car to be quiet and the headers really didn't change the sound. It's a good thing too, since my friend with a Zo6 just got pulled over for loud exhaust and was forced to remove the exhaust and headers.

It dynoed at 365 rwhp after the headers.
Nice Gain! :thumbsup:
I was considering doing the same thing.
I'm glad to hear it's the best of both worlds.
What headers did you go with?

·
Registered
'05 LS6 V Stealth Grey; '14 Z71 SLT Sierra 1500 Stealth Grey
2,821 Posts
This makes me nervous. I hate going tot he dealer and now I've paid for the extended warranty. I have severe whine and some hideous klunking / binding noises when slowing, stopped, starting from a stop, ad the god damn glove box rattles, its driving me crazy. I'm sorry tohear about your problem and I hopeyou can rectify the situation.

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
13,986 Posts
... if you do find a dealer willing to repair your diff, despite your headers, please let us know who it is. ...
Don Massey Cadillac (Plymouth, Michigan) ... replaced two difs with my mods ... they didn't even bat an eye! :thumbsup:

You can use mapquest. :D

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Don Massey Cadillac (Plymouth, Michigan) ... replaced two difs with my mods ... they didn't even bat an eye! :thumbsup:

You can use mapquest. :D
You Mid West people get away with a lot more than we do in SoCal. :crybaby:

For SoCal dealers, try Penske (Torrance) or Martin (Santa Monica).
People with modded V's say they get good service there.
No guarantees as to your results.

However, those Catted 1st Gen B&B Headers with stock exhaust really can't be blamed for causing rear diff failure.
Just keep looking for a dealer who sees it that way.

·
Registered
300 SRT8, 392 cubic inches of tire smoking power!
8,189 Posts
I bought a car from Tustin Cadillac, it was a good experience. I did use them for warranty a few times, all was good. That was an Oldsmobile.

Regarding the Cadillac staff at that dealer, I didn't purchase my V from them because they wouldn't let me test drive the car. The Cadillac sales staff and manager suck.

I use Neighbors Cadillac, all is good. I do have the short throw shifter and I have been told that it will likely void my warranty on my transmission (a friend that is a former GM employee, tech and GM trainer for transmission repair). If the trans fails he'll stuff the factory shifter back in prior to requesting warranty work.

If you go to Neighbors DON'T USE FRED, he's dumb as a rock.

·
Registered
300 SRT8, 392 cubic inches of tire smoking power!
8,189 Posts
2 words vs. 5

·
Registered
2017 Camaro ZL1; 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2004 Lightning
12,007 Posts
My dealer has replaced my diff twice under warranty despite my mods, and they're closer to you. Why don't you give them a try? Mark Christopher Cad... oh, wait...

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
long post
Thanks for reading it!:thumbsup:

Members who enjoyed this post also may enjoy:

Dealer Service Record

Mark Christopher Cadillac Blows!!!!!

Crestview Cadillac - Kings of Incompetence

My dealer has replaced my diff twice under warranty despite my mods, and they're closer to you. Why don't you give them a try? Mark Christopher Cad... oh, wait...
:histeric:

You've got a maggie and they replaced your diff twice, but back when I had my run-ins with them my car was bone stock, yet I still had to fight tooth and nail just to get my battery replaced even with my car dead on their lot!?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts

You've got a maggie and they replaced your diff twice, but back when I had my run-ins with them my car was bone stock, yet I still had to fight tooth and nail just to get my battery replaced even with my car dead on their lot!?
Maybe you need to hire someone to take your cars in to the dealer for you. :eek:

BTW - I do appreciate the list of "where not to take the V for service" posts.
I'm still deciding where i want to take my stock 04 for some simple repairs.
I would just be happy to get it back fixed w/ no new problems/dammage.

·
Registered
2017 Camaro ZL1; 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2004 Lightning
12,007 Posts

I don't know you, so I may be totally off base here, but I'm thinking... approach? Interpersonal skills? I know that you dealt with my service advisor at MC and your experience with him was dramatically different from mine.

They did right by me the first year, during which time I got to know the service advisor and the techs who understood the V, then I bought 'em some Jack Daniels at Christmas. It's been smooth sailing all the way.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't know you, so I may be totally off base here, but I'm thinking... approach? Interpersonal skills? I know that you dealt with my service advisor at MC and your experience with him was dramatically different from mine.

They did right by me the first year, during which time I got to know the service advisor and the techs who understood the V, then I bought 'em some Jack Daniels at Christmas. It's been smooth sailing all the way.
I knew when I posted my last post that there would likely be at least a few people questioning the possibility that the real problem lies with the only common link; that common link of course being myself. And let's face it, only the most egotistical person could go through a string of luck like this and not do at least a little personal reflection. So yes, I have considered the possibility that I may be to blame for some of these incidents. But if you read my threads you'll see that my reactions to the situations are the same reaction that anyone on this forum would give if they were being true to themselves. And please don't interpret that like I'm some kind of loose cannon that can't control my own emotions. In the case with MC and Crestview I gave them multiple chances before finally becoming angry. I gave MC a second chance and Crestview a third and they both failed miserably. In fact, Scott sat me down after the first incident at MC and told me that if I gave them a second chance he'd make certain that I was treated like family. I'd be curious to attend the family reunion of anyone who says after reading that thread (which has both sides of the story by the way) that I was treated like family.

Money talks of course and my primary reason for going to these dealers are warranty repairs (apparently at Crestview it wasn't enough that I bought the car from them). So I'm sure that when one purchases and has installed a maggie and exhaust by a dealer for ten-thousand or so dollars on top of paying sticker price for their car, they are quite likely going to treat that person much better than someone like me who didn't even buy his car at that dealer. Speaking of that, in my arguments with Scott at MC, he repeatedly told me that I should take my car to the dealer I bought it from, so clearly they do have some customer service bias toward those that purchase the vehicle from that dealership.

Several of you have met me at the meets, so perhaps some of you have an idea of the type of person that I am. I met you Lawfive on at least a few occasions and in fact you are one of the first people I met at the first V meet I went to almost 3 years ago. Do I seem like a person who shoots from the hip?

In any case, I took the time to post each of my service incidents so that you guys can make a better informed decision when you inevitably have to take your vehicle in for service (and for some much less altruistic reasons). Now granted, in three out the four threads you are only hearing my side of the story from my perspective, but unlike nearly every Michael Moore film, I assure you that my posts do not contain half-truths or falsities.

If someone does find the Lindsay Cadillac of SoCal, please PM me or something because that will be one happy day for me. Of course with my luck, that will likely be the same day that my warranty expires.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have been taking my V to Tustin for over two years. 05 V B&B full cats, UUC short throw shifter etc. I watched the forum and used the explanation that has been described about the rear end sing. They changed mine out to an 06 without a question, charged me $70 for having to take off and re-install an after market exhaust but other than that, no charges.

My service guy has been Richard Thompson and there have never been any problems....

Sorry to hear that they must have taken a drop in quality......

livingthedream
turn the key and smile

1 - 20 of 50 Posts