Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2017 MB C300 Cabriolet, 2019 Volvo V90CC
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suspect you CTS-ers are more prone to fiddle with exterior polishers and such so am curious: Has anyone tried TurtleWax Ice polish? My DTS is dark cherry and I've tried it twice, once in the shade and once in the sun. Both times the smearing/streaking was so bad that I had to do a double detailer (the Ice Spray detailer works great) application to remove it. Even spoke with a Turtlewax manager who made some suggestions which didn't help much. Can't believe the product is that bad so there's got to be a trick there..... (and no, I don't want to spend 4 hours doing a clay rub then multiple applications of whatever. I've got a life....)

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
Most people use 10 times more wax than needed when detailing their car, which causes the smearing and streaking.

When applying the wax (with either a hand pad or orbital buffer) it should be used so sparingly that the wax almost disappears into the paint- once it sits for a few minutes and hardens, it will become hazy and you'll be able to tell if you missed any spots. If you can easily see which spots you've applied wax to before it hardens, you're making it harder to remove AND wasting product.

·
Registered
2015 XTS Premium FWD 2020 CT5 Prem Lux 3.0tt
612 Posts
I had the same problem when I used it on my black 07 STS. I would always wash the car first. I always used clean applicators and polishing towels. The other thing I noticed was after a few days a haze would form on the paint surface. I have stopped using it. It probably is more noticeable on the black. I didn't try it on my wife"s Crystal Red CTS. Just plain old Meguiars Cleaner/ Wax is fine for me.

Cadjiek

·
Registered
2009 CTS DI AWD FE2 CRYSTAL RED TINTCOAT/LIGHT TITANIUM
295 Posts
Try Zaino All-in-One followed by the 'apply and walk away Zaino Clear Seal'.
It should take you less than an hour and your car will look amazing. Also lasts several months if not more. Simply maintain with Zaino Grand Finale spray and wipe. Turtle Wax is crap IMHO.:yawn:

·
Registered
08 CTS 3.6L DI FE2 RWD NAV, OEM Spoiler, D3 CAI, LOADED
203 Posts
I have a guy who details my car every few months (when it needs it) and he swears by Turtle Wax Ice. He's also using what is the latest that he thinks works best. No smears on my black CTS.

·
Registered
CTS
10 Posts
I use the liquid Ice on my crystal red (also on 79 truck and another car), right after the initial was there seems to be what looks like smears, ect,....With the time saved in using this wax, I usually do the inital waxing then wait about an hour then go back and rewipe the whole car again....seems to work for me. I work at a cement plant and have had the car at work a couple of times and this is the first wax I found that does not leave pits when cement dust lands on the car. I really like the wax..

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS 08
86 Posts
I tried rejex and zaino all in one with grand finale spray. They all do the same on my crystal red. The best for my car has been meguiers. I will go back to meguiers after I finish all of this overpriced overhyped zaino and rejex crap.

·
Registered
Cadillac
738 Posts
I tried rejex and zaino all in one with grand finale spray. They all do the same on my crystal red. The best for my car has been meguiers. I will go back to meguiers after I finish all of this overpriced overhyped zaino and rejex crap.
I usually use Meguiar's Gold Class and it wipes off very easily and leaves a very good shine. I go over it once with a cotton towel to remove the majority of the wax, then go over it with a microfiber towel to polish. I also use Zymol occasionally, but find it harder to wipe off and not leave streaks. I just got some Meguiar's NXT (or whatever it's called) really cheap and look forward to trying it. I recently conducted another experiment and put Finish First (~$1.25/oz) on half my hood and Zymol (~$0.75/oz) on the other half, and no one I've asked has yet been able to tell any difference between the two. And I don't mean I get a mixed review on which side is shinier, they say they can't see a difference at all. It has only been a month so far though...

·
Registered
08 Cadillac CTS DI (sold), 13 Cadillac ATS 3.6L
102 Posts
Turtle Wax Ice liquid polish works good on my 08 silver CTS. I think the color kinda hides some streaks, etc. It's good as a short-term solution, but would prefer the Meguirs or Nanowax carnubat types for long-term.

·
Registered
NONE
1,423 Posts
I tried them all over the years but found Mothers to be the best. I also used Reflections on my last CTS and FX spray wax on the GMC. Once a year is all it gets. Looks good all the time.

Turtle wax just does not work well for me
Zaino is to much work, tired it and would never buy again

·
Registered
2017 MB C300 Cabriolet, 2019 Volvo V90CC
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd laugh at the thought of Pledge had I not used it for years on my '86 red Riviera. Quick, and the car looked great. Tried it once on the dark cherry and it left streaks as well. Should probably try the new formula....

I did try the Ice one more time following The Tony Show's comments and the results were much much better, though it really needed to be followed with the detailer in order to look right. One thing I have to admit about the stuff: Water beads up like little marbles and literally rolls right off. Never had a wax give that kind of result. Now if only it were anti-static so it would repel the Oklahoma dust.....

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS DI FE3 PDQ Crystal Red/Ebony
1,008 Posts
to be honest i spent like $200 on the zaino things and used it as instructed.. no result
leave this to the real professional.

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS DI AWD Thunder Gray Chromaflair/Ebony
798 Posts
I have been using the Meguiars NXT 2.0 and it seems easy to apply and remove.

Slightly off topic...

I just read an article in Popular Mechanics about a new wax designed specifically for Black vehicles. Supposedly it will not leave annoying white residue in all the crevices.

http://www.turtlewaxblackbox.com/

1 - 16 of 16 Posts