Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
5,022 Posts
Remove fuse in under hood fuse box. It's a 10 amp if I remember right. Enjoy your spoon-fed info.

Sent from my unlocked jailbroken iPhone 4 iOS 4.2.1

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
72,791 Posts
For the 2000+ cars - If you'll look inside the top of the underhood fuse box you'll see a fuse/relay diagram. One of the fuses next to the 3 headlight/DRL relays is labeled "DRL". It may be #24 - pull it. No DRL and everything else works just as designed.

·
Registered
2009 Escalade ESV
189 Posts
i just did this yesterday as i installed my HIDs on friday night (i havent been out during the day since installed)

just go to the fuse box inside of the hood and pull the fuse.

it is labled under the fuse box which fuse is for the DRLs

no codes or errors come up either!!!

·
Registered
2002 Deville
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just out of curiosity, why do you want to disable the DRL's?
To be honest its pure laziness...i changed both headlights this weekend it was a major pain. So i figure if i get rid of the DRL's the headlights will last longer.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,951 Posts
Theoretically that makes sense, but I'm not sure if there is any validity to it. I have yet to change a headlight bulb since DRL's came out. If both of yours went out at the same time, I'd suspect an underlying problem causing it. Not sure what that might be though.

·
Registered
2002 Deville DTS
34 Posts
I pulled my fuse for the DRL's last week on my 02 DTS. I hate them. Look stupid. I dont want my headlights on during the day. No point.

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
....No point.
Unless you consider it important to be "seen".

Ever wonder why motorcycles all have lights on all the time?

Or why several states require headlights ON when the wipers are in use?

·
Registered
2002 Cadillac DTS Deville on Vogues and DTS Blades
605 Posts
i ride a motorcycle.......crotch rocket.

i ALWAYS ride with my hibeams on.

IT is definetly easier for me to be seen in traffic....on coming or otherwise. Especially since a motorcycle is thinner profiled.

SAFER for me and the drivers.

DRL's for bikes > makes sense
DRL's for cars > makses no sense (you cant miss a car driving towards you can you?!)

·
Registered
2002 Deville DTS
34 Posts
Unless you consider it important to be "seen".

Ever wonder why motorcycles all have lights on all the time?

Or why several states require headlights ON when the wipers are in use?
Not to be a smart ass, but I'm pretty sure 99.9% of drivers can see a 4000lb+ White Cadillac coming at them in daylight. I doubt having dim running lights on is going to stop an accident from happening.

As for the wipers...I can see that. When you use your wipers, its usually pretty dark out. I always turn my lights on when its raining. I dont need the car to auto-magically turn them on for me all the time. I'm capable of determining when they should be on and when they shouldnt.

Just my opinion. Everyone is different.

·
Registered
2020 XT4, 70 Cougar conv, 2002 DTS
900 Posts
Our insurance gives us a small annual rate reduction for having the daytime lights - about $10 per year per car. They aren't doing this as a gift; they claim there are stats that show lower accident rates with this feature. I don't especially like daytime lights, but I'll take even a small reduction.

·
Registered
2002 Deville DTS
34 Posts
Our insurance gives us a small annual rate reduction for having the daytime lights - about $10 per year per car. They aren't doing this as a gift; they claim there are stats that show lower accident rates with this feature. I don't especially like daytime lights, but I'll take even a small reduction.
interesting. I stand corrected!

·
Registered
2002 Cadillac DTS Deville on Vogues and DTS Blades
605 Posts
...I dont need the car to auto-magically turn them on for me all the time. I'm capable of determining when they should be on and when they shouldnt.
DAMN RIGHT!!! Power to the HUMAN!!!

I doubt that the insurance company will check you car randomly to see if the DRL's are on or not....i too welcome any xtra money though. To this day no one from my insurance company has seen my car. and ive been with sf insurance for 10 yrs. doubt they check for DRL's

·
Registered
2020 XT4, 70 Cougar conv, 2002 DTS
900 Posts
I doubt that the insurance company will check you car randomly to see if the DRL's are on or not....i too welcome any xtra money though.
See your point, but guess I'm old fashioned: when I take money for something, I feel obliged to hold up my end, whether they check or not.

·
Registered
2005 STS N*, 1SF, 144K mi.
650 Posts
i ride a motorcycle.......crotch rocket.

i ALWAYS ride with my hibeams on.

IT is definetly easier for me to be seen in traffic....on coming or otherwise. Especially since a motorcycle is thinner profiled.

SAFER for me and the drivers.

DRL's for bikes > makes sense
DRL's for cars > makses no sense (you cant miss a car driving towards you can you?!)
Amen.

On the ST1100, I used to ride, there were days I'd use both high beams and the PIAA 959's for maximum attention. Somehow, people still managed to not "see" me, on occasion.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts