Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1993 STS, 1997 STS, 2002 SLS, 2007 CTS 3.6
Joined
·
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My turn signals seem to be blinking at two speeds, when I hit it to the right it blinks fast, very fast. The left side seems to be blinking at normal speed. Any ideas?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Realtor1 said:
My turn signals seem to be blinking at two speeds, when I hit it to the right it blinks fast, very fast. The left side seems to be blinking at normal speed. Any ideas?

Thanks
I have the EXACT same problem on my 95' STS. Check your bulbs in the rear. I found that if one of the bulbs is out of the socket it returns to normal, but I replace the same bulb with a new one...still does the fast blinking on the right side.

Does yours only behave this way when the lights are one right ( or at least the parking or fog lights)?

Play around with the rear bulbs. I almost think its a short somewhere, I cant seem to pinpoint it.
 

·
Registered
1993 STS, 1997 STS, 2002 SLS, 2007 CTS 3.6
Joined
·
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stoneage_Caddy said:
could be there is a bulb out when it blinks fast on one side , turn the hazzards on see if you lost a bulb
All bulbs are good, hopefully will have time soon to check the connections for corrosion. To answer the question about if it happens with the lights on...No it blinks fast with the lights off or on.

Thanks for the input guys...will keep you posted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Definitely check the sockets for corrosion. I had one that was so corroded that I had to replac the socket. That fixed mine right up.
 

·
Registered
2001 DTS, 2005 Mustang GT, 2010 MINI S
Joined
·
1,121 Posts
bad sockets

Its a bad internal ground in the socket. You can change the bulbs all day and it wont fix the problem. I attached a good picture of a bad socket. Its the one on the right with the brown burn spot.....

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3768672/1054162256865_memory_081.jpg

The real fix is the Deville socket on the left. It kind of fixes the problem.

Anyways... enjoy!

Logan
www.leaving because we cant post our website.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Re: bad sockets

Logandiagnostic said:
Its a bad internal ground in the socket. You can change the bulbs all day and it wont fix the problem. I attached a good picture of a bad socket. Its the one on the right with the brown burn spot.....

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3768672/1054162256865_memory_081.jpg

The real fix is the Deville socket on the left. It kind of fixes the problem.

Anyways... enjoy!

Logan
www.leaving because we cant post our website.com

Thanks Logan and Maydog,

I will check all my sockets this weekend. Mine only happens when the lights are on so I assume it is one of the parking lights which is causing it, since it behaves normaly with the lights off. Thanks for starting the thread Realtor1 hehe.
 

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
Joined
·
14,607 Posts
Re: bad sockets

fixed mine last night on the way home , one of my bulbs had a worn out set of contacts so i put a new bulb in and was just fine

the 2 contacts on the bottom of the bulb were concave instaed of convex , the bulb was otherwise fine , mine misbehaved with lights on more as i guess there was more current draw , but as soon as engine rpms increaed the problem would go away ( i suppose it generated enough amps to cross the gap ) , made for a messy 2 weeks unitl the contacts finaly gave out

but it sounds like you seville guys get diffrent issues
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
I have a 95 STS when my lights are on the right trunk blinker is dim and all right lights blink fast, cleaned socket and checked the ground system it was NOT reading 100% so after some messing with it I got it to work at 100%,,,,BUT the blinker still blinks fast....I started to notice that with the blinker on one filiment was working when I turned on the light the same filiment was lite and was also blinking...the other filiment never came on....removed blub and checked the contacks and they worked just like they are supposed to 12volts on one and a "blinking 5-6volts" on the [email protected]#$% I HATE ELECTRIAL PROBLEMS
HELP,,,HELP I am using the correct bulb
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
first sts said:
I have a 95 STS when my lights are on the right trunk blinker is dim and all right lights blink fast, cleaned socket and checked the ground system it was NOT reading 100% so after some messing with it I got it to work at 100%,,,,BUT the blinker still blinks fast....I started to notice that with the blinker on one filiment was working when I turned on the light the same filiment was lite and was also blinking...the other filiment never came on....removed blub and checked the contacks and they worked just like they are supposed to 12volts on one and a "blinking 5-6volts" on the [email protected]#$% I HATE ELECTRIAL PROBLEMS
HELP,,,HELP I am using the correct bulb
If the parking light filament is blinking (you say it is), then you definitely have a bad ground. The two prongs are probably okay. The problem is with the outer shell of the socket.

Here's a trick to test it with your meter. Connect the black lead to a good ground, ie., the frame. Meter on volts. Connect red lead to the outer shell of the bulb. Sounds strange, because I'm telling you to measure ground to ground, but that's the trick. If you have a good ground, the reading will be quite low. Less than .25 volts or so. If you get a reading greater than that, it's showing you how many volts you are loosing because of the bad connection.

You need the lights on and a good bulb to do this. Either turn on the lights, or have someone hold the brake on. Flashers will drive you nuts trying to get a good reading on the meter.

Corroded contacts usually get better when they're wet. Use a little water to see if that cures your problem temporarily.

Corrosion needs Oxygen to form. If you put grease in the socket, then it can't happen because the metals won't be exposed to air.

Does GM still use grease in the sockets?


Keith
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Took all the lights off the right rear,,trunk light shows about .25 or a little more to ground the others show "0" to ground,,,,trunk light,only one of the filiments works{the tall one] for both running lights AND turn signal,,,the other lights use both filiments just like there supposed to....How do you remove the socket???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Just went thru this cost 50 bucks and countless hours of troubleshooting..

Okay if you have bad mosture in one of the outside back tailights....hmmm
you will need to replace them 2 sockets.....I also cleaned, new bulbs ect ect ect..hours of ect....to no avail, or it became intermittant.....light sockets at auto supply houses will not fit...you need Delco replacement socket...delco website will provide you with proper part number of sockct.......my bulbs are 2057...be careful here 1157 will fit also, but one is hotter and may burn taillight lens.
This problem, with grounds not working also trashed my battery and alternator..
Alternator are much more expensive than light sockets...and Yes make sure to use bulb grease.. Upon breaking open old socket...lo and behold one of them had one of a prior bulbs bottom contacts, had worked its way into the socket, to cause a direct short. Of course did no good to put in new bulb....i
How to tell which socket....the bulb that is blinking dim.....all lights should be very bright. :drinker
 

·
Registered
2001 STS
Joined
·
1,575 Posts
Re: bad sockets

Logandiagnostic said:
Its a bad internal ground in the socket. You can change the bulbs all day and it wont fix the problem. I attached a good picture of a bad socket. Its the one on the right with the brown burn spot.....

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3768672/1054162256865_memory_081.jpg

The real fix is the Deville socket on the left. It kind of fixes the problem.

Anyways... enjoy!

Logan
www.leaving because we cant post our website.com
What do you mean you cant post your website :rant2:
NO WAY !!!! Thats just WRONG. :bonkers:
Sometimes I come here just to find an old thread, (or new for that matter), knowing that I can link to more info.

Guess that explains why; when I came here a few days ago to look back at an older thread that I knew had info I wanted and needed, and was only complete with the link; well I was confused because all the info was no longer there.

It was something I came to expect from this site. It wraped it all up and made it as close as any site could get to offering as much as any site could to any Cadillac owner.

What have you people done :bonkers: Are you on drugs or something :drinkerThink about it. If Logan was here JUST to promote his own site, do you really think that he would give as much info in his posts as he does :suspect:

Get with the program :banghead: Isnt this supposed to benifit us all :confused: Isnt that why we are all here? To help one another?

Cmon everyone :bouncy: Lets bring Logan back! Anyone who reads this and frequents this site will know what i'm talking about :disappoin
Lets get together and set this right :rant2:
 

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
Joined
·
6,796 Posts
Re: bad sockets

Murphyg said:
What do you mean you cant post your website :rant2:
NO WAY !!!! Thats just WRONG. :bonkers:
Sometimes I come here just to find an old thread, (or new for that matter), knowing that I can link to more info.

Guess that explains why; when I came here a few days ago to look back at an older thread that I knew had info I wanted and needed, and was only complete with the link; well I was confused because all the info was no longer there.

It was something I came to expect from this site. It wraped it all up and made it as close as any site could get to offering as much as any site could to any Cadillac owner.

What have you people done :bonkers: Are you on drugs or something :drinkerThink about it. If Logan was here JUST to promote his own site, do you really think that he would give as much info in his posts as he does :suspect:

Get with the program :banghead: Isnt this supposed to benifit us all :confused: Isnt that why we are all here? To help one another?

Cmon everyone :bouncy: Lets bring Logan back! Anyone who reads this and frequents this site will know what i'm talking about :disappoin
Lets get together and set this right

Why are you complaining? Logan is still here!! :bonkers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
351 Posts
Re: bad sockets

I agree - Logan is a true friend of the Cadillac community - and I'm buying his LED replacement anyway!

With all the adverts on here, why not Logan?

Adam
 

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
Joined
·
2,795 Posts
Logan is still here, heck, he has his own forum on here! Scroll down on the main page. Hes a Supporting Vendor, so I wouldn't be suprised if one of his ads is somewhere around here. However you might have to look under his other business of air bag deployment data retrival, instead of the LED repair.
 
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Top