Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a wierd issue - don't know if you guys get it or not.

I changed out the Rear Turn Signals to LEDs.

Everything works fine - I removed the resistor on the turn signal relay so it doesn't hyper flash.

HOWEVER...when turn on the parking lights, the wiring harness sends a 12v signal across ths wiring harness. I imagine to check if the lamp is out or not, I'm unsure.

But, the LED lights up, as well as the turn signal indicator. When the lights are on, and I hit the turn signal, it still blinks properly. But now, I just drive around with the ambers in my tail light illuminated.

When I replace it with the standard incandecent bulb, the turn signal indicator turns off on the dash, and the light is off.

Strange...can't figure it out.

·
Registered
'05 CTS-V
250 Posts
If the turn signal indicator is on, the system thinks a bulb is out. The LED doesn't draw enough current. You'll need to add resistors to increase the load.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was hoping to not have to get load resistors (since I'm using LEDs have have less current draw.

Oh well...

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
'04 CTS-V
509 Posts
I've messed with LED's in turn signals before. It's definitely not worth it. The resistors eat up just as much amperage as an incandescent and cause issues like you're having and cost about 10x as much as a regular bulb.

Driving lights and other constant/brake lights are ok, but turn signals are a no go.

·
Registered
'11 Black Escalade AWD & '06 Black CTS-V
1,908 Posts
I've messed with LED's in turn signals before. It's definitely not worth it. The resistors eat up just as much amperage as an incandescent and cause issues like you're having and cost about 10x as much as a regular bulb.

Driving lights and other constant/brake lights are ok, but turn signals are a no go.
I agree w/that....I did the full LED swap....minus the turns....and have not had any issues.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts