Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
92 SDV involved in an accident - damage located on the LEFT front point of car - headlight assembly & marker lens now replaced, for State Inspection purposes. (Recently posted in DeVille.)

The left turn signal immediately quit working after the accident, but I can blink it by hand.

QUESTION: What should I be looking for to get the signal to actually blink on it's own?

AND ... I noticed that the front parking lights seem to be wired backwards -- the side that works correctly (right) blinks on the outside of the front parking light. Other side is not opposite, as it should be.

Whew :bonkers: I'm feeling lost here. It's hard to explain.

LISA

((I tried to attach a simple mspaint bmp image -- won't work. Sigh.))

·
Registered
586 Posts
Re: Turn signal won't

LisaMonkey said:
92 SDV involved in an accident - damage located on the LEFT front point of car - headlight assembly & marker lens now replaced, for State Inspection purposes. (Recently posted in DeVille.)

The left turn signal immediately quit working after the accident, but I can blink it by hand.

QUESTION: What should I be looking for to get the signal to actually blink on it's own?

AND ... I noticed that the front parking lights seem to be wired backwards -- the side that works correctly (right) blinks on the outside of the front parking light. Other side is not opposite, as it should be.

Whew :bonkers: I'm feeling lost here. It's hard to explain.

LISA

((I tried to attach a simple mspaint bmp image -- won't work. Sigh.))
check all the signal bulbs on both ends. if that doesnt work, try replacing the relay and the clicker.

·
Registered
586 Posts

2dfx said:
Its called a Flasher Relay :D
some cars have 2 parts.. one is the relay... the other is the clicker... you know, the thing that makes the clicking sound... the F350 i drive at work has both. If either one arent working the signals wont.

·
Registered
397 Posts

AKPsiMC03 said:
some cars have 2 parts.. one is the relay... the other is the clicker... you know, the thing that makes the clicking sound...
omg the thing that makes the clicking noise is the Flasher.....Relay! Kindergarten cop

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dang ...

This is driving me nuts! I found the flasher relay by the fuse box. It merrily "clicks" when the right turn signal is on. It also "clicks" when the hazards are on.

Seems to me that if IT was the problem, it wouldn't work at all -- but that's a guess.

I'm wondering if there is a broken wire near the front of the car - I keep looking but I haven't found one. Probably inside a casing somewhere (whine).

One more question about a particular wire that goes to the parking/signal lens on the FRONT (under the headlight) ... there are THREE wires running to the lens:

One is the parking light
One is the signal light
One is a small, odd looking thing that goes into a little hole on the outside of the lens. Some type of sensor, perhaps?

Any idea what that wire is for??? That wire is in questionable shape.

Thanks again for any help -- my car is in a few pieces right now from all my digging around. Sigh . . . 105 degrees today . . . the things I'll do to save $$$.

LISA

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Re: Dang ...

Lisa,
The odd-looking wire is actually a fiber-optic cable that connects to the little lamp indicator on the top of the fender.
The problem you're having is most likely being caused by a wiring problem as you suggested. It's also possible that someone installed the wrong bulb too. Verify the bulb's right and then have the wiring of the socket verified.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Re: Dang ...

Verify that the bulbs are actually lighting up!!! You said the hazards work, so turn the hazards on and make sure the bulbs are working 4 ways!!!

It is a wiring problem and not the flasher as you originally said because the flasher unit controls both left and right turn signals. There is a separate flasher unit for hazards.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
5 Participants
Blessed 1