Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Eldorado ETC
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My turn-signals stopped working yesterday. I checked the bulbs and that is not the issue. The hazard lights works. The corner lights work. Brake lights work. We checked the fuses. They seem to be fine. The stalk works.. it turns on the corner lights. They come on, but do not blink, nor do the front or rear turn signals light up. We made the assumption that it not the flasher unit as the hazards do come on and flash. Does this car have a second flasher unit? The only other odd thing is that there is a wire that has been wired in to where the turn signal fuse is in the rear fuse panel. Not sure why that is there unless this was an issue in the past. Any ideas why I haven't any blinkies?

·
Registered
1999 Eldorado ETC
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OOPS! I am sorry. I thought that it was automatically there under my name.

1999 Eldorado ETC. God bless her... she is named Christine for her mind of her own.

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
Your '99 Eldo has two flashers; the hazard flasher uses two wires (orange and brown) and the turn signal flasher uses three wires (brown, black, purple). I "suspect" the flashers are located under/in front of the driver's side of the dash. Should not be difficult to locate.

Be aware there is some rather involved switching that occurs in what the schematic diagram calls the "Turn Hazard Switch".

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
Is the flasher for the turning signal.
Is located underneath the steering column near the data link connector. You have to remove the kick driver's panel and is right there.
This is what you are locking for:

·
Registered
1993 Eldorado. 1997 SLS.
27 Posts
Just a little clarification for someone doing this who has no idea what they are doing, as myself. Though N*Caddy's reply is quite self explanatory..

You have to take some interior panels off, in my 97 SLS it was 3. Then there is a round flasher, with 2 prongs, clipped to something else that is metal, this is the hazard flasher, and this is on the right side under neath there, sort of directly up from the gas pedal. may as well check to make sure the hazards work now, because you can easily replace them both, if needed. But the turn signal flasher, has 3 prongs, and is rectangular, looks just like the one in the picture by N*Caddy. This one is located underneath the left side, right where you left kneee would be when driving, and is quite far stuffed up in there. I am a bigger guy, and could not visualize it, but I just kind of felt around up in that area, and if you pull up on it when you find it, it will come loose- then you can bring it down, unplug it, and go get yourself a new one for around 15 bucks. My new one did not have a clip to hang it off the original hanger, so I just zip tied it as best I could to the same hanger, so it does'nt flop around.

I mostly posted this for people searching the net on how to do this- I searched and searched but could not find a real step by step lol - but it really is an awkward setup, I think, kind of hard to put into words.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts