Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2006 SRX V8 Black/Black
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, looks like I will get to check out the ease of changing some bulbs.
I noticed my left turn signal was blinking very fast, knowing it is likely a burned out bulb.
When I got home I checked it out and then found the left Daytime Running Light also not burning.
Fun times ahead.
Earl

·
Registered
06 v6 SRX
491 Posts
What it takes to replace this lamp is a perfect example why a mechanic with 20 years of service experience should be on the design team !

·
Registered
2007 SRX4 V8
13 Posts
Best way to do it is to remove the bumper and take things out, remove housing and change all bulbs at the same time. I recently tackled this task and took about 2 hrs to do, but that was with removal of HID headlights as well. While i had taken things apart i did noticed the previous owner had changed the DRL lights and they had butchered it. Gasket was completly off and only 2 screwes were put back on instead of the 6.

Having said this, you can remove the inner front wheel housing and try to change, if that doesnt do the trick then go with my initial route.

·
Registered
975 Posts
What i did to make removal faster since these bulbs blow out constantly was take out all 3 ten mm bolts that hold the light on. Then remove the top clips that hold the bumper on have someone pull it forward enough to slide the light out. Then the inner bracket behind the grill i cut that off completely. Now i can have both headlights off in less than 10 mins. Bumper removal not necessary anymore. As far as the star bits holding the back covers on i left most of those off for next time. Never had any water of dirt get inside them in almost 2 years.

·
Registered
2004 SRX N* AWD, 2009 SRX N* AWD, 1986 Buick Grand National
122 Posts
I had to change them also, I just put car on the hoist, removed wheels, and then pealed back the inner wheel well cover (have to pull the rest of the plastic that is attached to the front) but then it is not TOO bad, still sucks no matter how you do it.

·
Registered
2006 SRX V8 Black/Black
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies and advice. They all make sense to me.
I have an appointment today a 4pm at the Dealer for some warranty work so will see how they can handle doing this while they have it.
Thanks
Earl

·
Registered
2006 SRX V8 Black/Black
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Bulbs and labor are not covered under GMPP Extended warranty.
I checked it out prior to going in.
I'm waiting on a call to tell me the damage$.
I asked for a cost to change all bulbs while in there.
We'll see.
Earl

----------

Earl

----------

Earl, I look forward to your updates! If you have any lingering questions after consulting with the dealer, please feel free to email me anytime at [email protected] for further assistance.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service
Thanks Katie. This Dealership has been a real joy so far.

My only concern is so far they can't hear a rear-end whine that I hear all the time.
I'm hoping they can find and correct it prior to the x-t warranty ending, which is still quite a ways off.
Thanks
Earl

12,821 Posts
...Thanks Katie. This Dealership has been a real joy so far.
My only concern is so far they can't hear a rear-end whine that I hear all the time.
I'm hoping they can find and correct it prior to the x-t warranty ending, which is still quite a ways off.
Thanks
Earl
Earl, I am sorry to hear about your persistent whine concerns. Please feel free to get in touch with our Cadillac Customer Service team if you would like us to step in to follow up with your dealer regarding any vehicle concern you have! While I'm unfortunately out of the office for the next two business days, my phone hotline counterparts are available for more immediate assistance Mon to Sat, 8am to 9pm EST (their phone number is 800-458-8006).

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

·
Registered
2004 SRX
10 Posts
No one mentioned the 2 bulbs in question are the same bulb. That's why they burn out so often maybe. It's on more than any other light on the car except the check engine light.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just purchased a 2009 SRX in December and found out today what it's like to own a Cadillac, $$$$ 167.53 to replaced ONE front signal light....NOT HAPPY.

·
Registered
2006 SRX V8 Black/Black
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A drive shaft has been ordered for mine, it is due to be installed today.
I am certain that will eliminate the whine & vibration. That has been my personal diagnosis all along but the Tech's seemed to go for wheel balance in the past.
I've driven too many RWD vehicles with U-Joint & Drive shaft problems not to recognize the whine.
So far this dealership has been great, put me in a 2013 XTS with 30 miles on it. Neat vehicle, but as I told my Service Writer, I want my "Black Lac Back". lol
I look forward to seeing if this is "the fix".

·
Registered
2006 SRX V8 Black/Black
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Picked up my SRX at 6pm last evening. Didn't get a chance to give her a good test run so will drive it to work today.
Sounds better as I could not detect the whine.
Will see how it goes today.
Earl

·
Registered
2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe
2,005 Posts
Earl.....:thumbsup: By the way, the SRX is our first "non-all black" vehicle in 23 years. It is our color preference but I could not find one certified pre-owned with the (low enough) mileage and the options we wanted. Could not find a diamond white one either. I love black even though it takes a bit more "automotive hygiene" to keep it looking perfect. Avoid puddles and dust. :thumbsup:

PJ

·
Registered
18 Posts
I discovered a way to avoid changing the bulbs quite as often. After removing the inner wheel well and contorting my arms and hands to replace the bulb I was determined to find a better method. Now when a bulb stops working I just smack the side of the bumper a few times with an open hand. This technique has worked for me for the past two years. They tend to stop working when the outside temp changes drastically. If a few good smacks don't get them working I'll get new bulbs.

·
Registered
2006 SRX V8 Black/Black
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
PJ, I do love black vehicles and have owned a few. My previous vehicle was a 1995 Black/Black Lincoln MarkVIII.
Yes, they do require a lot of effort to keep clean and pretty.

Update on my SRX-I drove it to work and back yesterday and put it through a pretty good work-out/test run.
The car is absolutely fantastic, no whine and no vibration. By golly, I think I've fallen in love with the car again.
I drove it 70 mph, where I would normally experience the vibration, then jumped up to 80 and cruised there for a short distance, not a shudder.
Drive Shaft covered under GMPP.
Oh yes, and we got the bulbs changed. Not under GMPP. Turned out there was only one. I guess they slapped the fender. lol
I am happy!
Earl

1 - 19 of 19 Posts