Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Cadillac STS
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know how to turn off daytime running lights on a 1995 sts? I got a great deal on a HID kit for the car but because the DRL run on the low beams at lower voltage. I tried removing the DRL fuses to see if lites would turn off but the lites were still on. Can somebody plz help.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,052 Posts
:rolleyes: My '02 DRL's are the HIGH beams run at low voltage which I disabled by a simple fuse pull that affects nothing else in the lighting system. Look around for a FSM for your year, because I'm pretty sure the wiring diagrams are different in the '99+ series. If you're going to run HID's in a halogen light unit, be prepared to fork out some big $$$ for new headlight units once in a while: the HID heat seems to craze/crack the polycarbonate lens covers. There are a couple of threads running to that effect........

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
His car didn't have DRLs designed-in. Canada requires it, but his car was built before '96, when GM made them standard for the American models. There's probably a GM "retrofit" kit that runs the low beams on the Canadian cars. Disabling that may be hard to do.

His headlight housings (at least the covers) are glass, which shouldn't suffer any heat-related damage from a hotter light.

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado Sport Coupe, 2009 Black Navigator
5,032 Posts
I believe there's a procedure in the tech tips section about turning off the DRL through the DIC. I'm not sure if it relates to your year though.

·
Registered
1995 Cadillac STS
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I've been searching through tech tips but still cant find nothing on drl lites for my car(stupid canadian rules):rant2:

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
I am not sure you can do that.
DRLs became standard equipment in the US in '97. I think some models had them in '96.
The US ones are usually easy to disable although GM doesn't want us to do it since it is considered "factory installed safety equipment".

Canada mandated DRLs long before we did and they are much more strict on it.
You'd have to sift through the schematics for US and Canadian cars and see what the difference is.
You might have to replace a module that controls the lights or something.

I don't have electronic access to the manuals, you'd need to get your hand on some paper ones and look them over.

·
Registered
2008 SRX
403 Posts
Does anybody know how to turn off daytime running lights on a 1995 sts? I got a great deal on a HID kit for the car but because the DRL run on the low beams at lower voltage. I tried removing the DRL fuses to see if lites would turn off but the lites were still on. Can somebody plz help.
Are you sure your DRL's were on, not the low beams? If you pull fuses C11 and C13 from the engine compartment fuse block, your DRL's should be out. If you have park lamps also, it's not DRL.
It looks like your best option would be to have the DRL system power up the new HID's by bypassing the DRL resistor on the RH inner fender behind the battery. One caution here is that the DRL resistor circuit is a smaller gage wire than the headlamp circuit. Does the HID kit depend on the headlamp circuit for power or just an input? Do you want your HID's to come on instead of low intensity low beams or would that be a violation?

·
Registered
2001 ETC Sequoia
878 Posts
I'm sure caddy_tech is correct. If you pull fuse C11 (or for that matter the DRL resistor) your DRLs should not work.

Regards,
Warren

1 - 10 of 10 Posts