Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T 6MT
146 Posts
You can run one, but they are designed to protect cables, hoses, plastics from the hot turbo, not to protect the turbo itself.

That is the real application of using it. We have a ton of room in the bay where the turbo is, so really there is no NEED for one.

I don't think it would hurt, in fact I think it would be awesome to run one and delete the metal shield.

So basically my .02 go for it if you want.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T Lux, 2017 MB C300 Coupe
997 Posts
To tell you the truth, I don't know dit about turbo charging. Nonetheless, I decided to look-up "turbo blankets" to see it they are another waste of time addition. Almost all references were from folks on various turbo net forums, very little "scientific" info other than the two listed below. Yes, engine compartment heat is reduced, but I don't see any proof that there are other benefits.

http://www.importtuner.com/tech/impp_1103_turbocharger_heat_shielding_fact_fiction/

http://www.semashow.com/press/2014/07/29/ut-austin-school-of-engineering-assesses-performance-benefits-of-ptp-turbo-blankets

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T RWD, DP, Intake, HPT, CC
2,404 Posts
I saw them used by people adding turbos to a car that wasn't designed for one. It helped protect underhood wires and components from being exposed to high heat.
In theory I could see some minor improvement in turbo performance from retaining the heat on the hot side, but I doubt there would be any noticeable gains in performance.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I did something similar to mine. I titanium wrapped it. According to Vtune when he was on the dyno he was able to hold 2 more psi close to redline and it also spool faster than without it. The more heat the faster the gasses flow. But I have an upgraded turbo core. I don't know how much difference you will see on a stock car.

Just keep in mind some turbos will crack if too much heat is built up. So far mine is good and Vtunes has held up for almost 3 years. Our turbos are supposed to be higher quality with higher resistant metals so you shouldn't have an issue but it's something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just received a turbo blanket from eBay and put it on. Fits not bad but it was a cheap one..seems to hold heat in better than just stock heat shield. It's not like I'm doing a 0-60 comparison.. besides it winter now and I don't want to pound on it with cold pavement and winter tires. If it seems to work over time I might just order up a good brand name one.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts