Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2001 deville hearse
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I have 2001 deville hearse with the 4.6 northstar and I had a crazy idea...

what if I turbo charged it? I know the pcm isn’t able to be reprogrammed and there’s a lot of other challenges. Supercharger is out of my strike zone on this car and I’ve turbod an 86 Jaguar before (used to a turbo challenge. I just need more info, I’ve heard about vw turbos and a few things so here’s what I need to know;

which turbo?
Can/how it can be tuned?
How many psi can my block handle?
Is there a way to get around the pcm?

thanks!

·
Registered
1992 DeVille, 2013 ATS 3.6
2,384 Posts
I’d put it on spray before a turbo. A wet kit and bottle should run way cheaper than a turbo set up and all you have to do is plumb the nos and fuel and wire the solenoids and a switch. Keep it under a 100 shot and it should last a while

Also:

Mind you he has a fully built motor, description mentions:

99 STS Cadillac 4.6L 32 Valve double overhead cam North Star 650-700 Wheel HP @ 21 lbs of boost Turbo mods: -70 mm single turbo -Raptor blow off valve -Turbo Smart waste gate -Custom intercooler -Turbo oil scavenge pump -3 bar map sensor -Electric exhaust cutout -Custom made Burns stainless steel piping -Corsa cat back exhaust Chassis and electronic upgrades: -PCS standalone transmission controller -Holley 950 Commander Standalone engine management system -Greddy Profec B custom dash mounted electronic boost controller -Custom paddle shifter on steering wheel -Power Stop slotted rotors w/ hawk pads -Walbro 255 fuel pump -Transmission cooler Motor upgrades: -Darten Sleeved block -Arias forged pistons -Eagle forged rods -ARP head studs -Cometic head gaskets -Ported heads, throttle body and intake -Mod motor fuel rails -60 lb injectors -Braided Stainless Steel Teflon fuel lines -Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator -Upgraded valve springs -stock 300hp cams

your stock block should be able to handle 6 pounds of boost if you go that route

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
20,378 Posts
Hi! I have 2001 deville hearse with the 4.6 northstar and I had a crazy idea...

what if I turbo charged it? I know the pcm isn’t able to be reprogrammed and there’s a lot of other challenges. Supercharger is out of my strike zone on this car and I’ve turbod an 86 Jaguar before (used to a turbo challenge. I just need more info, I’ve heard about vw turbos and a few things so here’s what I need to know;

which turbo?
Can/how it can be tuned?
How many psi can my block handle?
Is there a way to get around the pcm?

thanks!
=========================
what if I turbo charged it?
unless you have AT LEAST $15,000 laying around -
almost god-like automotive and mechanical skills -
and don't care that NOTHING else in the car will eve function properly again -
I have a MUCH better idea -
OR

OK - seriously -

·
Registered
1992 DeVille, 2013 ATS 3.6
2,384 Posts
Not to mention a turbo hearse will only get you quicker to the grave

<_<

if anything you should put a 4.1 in it or an HT hahahahaha

·
Registered
2001 deville hearse
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited by Moderator)
=========================
what if I turbo charged it?
unless you have AT LEAST $15,000 laying around -
almost god-like automotive and mechanical skills -
and don't care that NOTHING else in the car will eve function properly again -
I have a MUCH better idea -
OR

OK - seriously -
Holy! Never even thought of the super juice! Quick 75 shot into the car, a sip for me, and were off! That’s a better idea and it’s something I haven’t done before, thanks!

Not to mention a turbo hearse will only get you quicker to the grave

<_<

if anything you should put a 4.1 in it or an HT hahahahaha
A swap would be super expensive but with the longer wheel base I was thinkin if I made a humvee type tranny tunnel I could get away with a rear wheel drive 350 small block with a th700 straight outta a c/k, then I could super that and have a big old’ blower lol.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,689 Posts
For the 2001 Northstar - if you go nitrous, please take pictures of the broken pieces so we can inform other members.

Welcome to CF !!! I suggest that you read the Engines; Northstar forum and its sticky threads before you begin to make very expensive rattling noises.

There's a video of a 2003 Deville converted to RWD with a crate 572 engine. ~$70,000 and it goes up for sale in here once in a while.

·
Registered
2001 deville hearse
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For the 2001 Northstar - if you go nitrous, please take pictures of the broken pieces so we can inform other members.

Welcome to CF !!! I suggest that you read the Engines; Northstar forum and its sticky threads before you begin to make very expensive rattling noises.

There's a video of a 2003 Deville converted to RWD with a crate 572 engine. ~$70,000 and it goes up for sale in here once in a while.

What would you suggest to make more power? I’ve never played with a Cadillac before but I’m used to luxury cars disliking modifications, I just have no clue what kind of power I can squeeze out of the gal safely and somewhat cost effectively.

·
Registered
2001 deville hearse
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also had another idea, it would be way less performance gain and I don’t really care about my sensors and stuff as they need to be redone anyhow. I’m in the process of replacing all the 2.5 inch pipe in the car with 3 inch pipe. I’m doing a custom header back side exit exhaust with the high flow cats and full bore mufflers to allow for more flow. If I coupled this with a cold air intake I would assume to gain a little power safely. Thoughts? I’ve now done my homework and realized that my main issues are with fuel and timing as far as super/turbo/nos goes and I can wait for someone else to figure that out lol.

·
Administrator
71,689 Posts
The exhaust work and so-called "CAI" will get you essentially nothing. The factory CAI, with a good pleated paper filter, already flows far more air than the little engine can handle at WOT redline shifts.

Our single cat is already a high performance honeycomb substrate unit.

Custom headers? Nowhere NEAR "cost effective". Been tried before - where do you run the crossunder pipe? A CORSA catback is good for 16 hp pretty far up in the power band, nothing at street speeds, and is now special order only.

If you remove the exhaust Y-pipe at the rear you'll see there's a bit of pipe flash in there - Dremel it smooth.

crossover pipe flash.jpg

There's a before and after dyno run in the thread "Vroom vroom". Google "cadillac forums vroom vroom".

My CORSA - and the original -
CORSA 13.jpg

3.OEM exhaust top-replaced at 35450 mi..jpg

·
20,378 Posts
What would you suggest to make more power? I’ve never played with a Cadillac before but I’m used to luxury cars disliking modifications, I just have no clue what kind of power I can squeeze out of the gal safely and somewhat cost effectively.
============================
What would you suggest to make more power?
buying something other than a Cadillac Deville

I’ve never played with a Cadillac before but I’m used to luxury cars disliking modifications,
BINGO -
there is absolutely no aftermarket performance support for our Northstar powered cars -
ZIP - ZERO - ZILCH - NADA -

I just have no clue what kind of power I can squeeze out of the gal safely
and somewhat cost effectively.

there is NOTHING on the market today that will add one single additional horse power -
or add one single mile per gallon economy -
ZIP - ZERO - ZILCH - NADA -

and if you do try to juice it - PLEASE -
bring several bags of cat litter - some heavy-duty plastic bags - a broom and a shovel -
to clean up your mess WHEN you grenade the motor and trans -

oh ya - enjoy the forum -

·
20,378 Posts
Also had another idea, it would be way less performance gain and I don’t really care about my sensors and stuff as they need to be redone anyhow. I’m in the process of replacing all the 2.5 inch pipe in the car with 3 inch pipe. I’m doing a custom header back side exit exhaust with the high flow cats and full bore mufflers to allow for more flow. If I coupled this with a cold air intake I would assume to gain a little power safely. Thoughts? I’ve now done my homework and realized that my main issues are with fuel and timing as far as super/turbo/nos goes and I can wait for someone else to figure that out lol.
====================
the ONLY thing you'll get from all this is a lighter wallet -

be sure to get it dyno'd before and after the exhaust mods to PROVE any increase in power -
and please post the results -

a few years ago one guy tried to have a true dual exhaust system custom made on an eldorado -
the end result was more noise and almost no ground clearance -

·
Administrator
71,689 Posts
Given what you're trying to modify - especially for "power" - you're doomed from the start. About the only thing that will help is cubic inches.

What is the 8th character of the VIN? A Y is the 275 hp economy powertrain; a 9 is the 300 hp "performance" powertrain. I'd guess that a hearse has the Y setup, so you're even further away from anything in the power upgrade department.

Call George Barris - Kargoyle -

e2544ad0e499b635eec13cd4dc924358.jpg

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac Deville
134 Posts
^^^^^^^ What they said ^^^^^^^ Sorry, but it's true. You might get a "little" bit more for a little while, but eventually you will get a lot more loose pieces and a lot more noise, for a second. Been tried and proven many times over.

·
Administrator
71,689 Posts
Maybe he's busy - hasn't logged on in almost a day . . . . since Post #8 time - hover over the time just right of the post number.

EDIT: He logged in briefly at about 5 PM today (EST, SE Ontario)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts