Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
87 Allante 4.1 50 Ford Custom FHv8
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh yeah don't try and stop me!!!!!!!! LOL. I got another 87 Allante with the 4.1. I had the other swapped with a 4.9 and it's quick but not the power I wanted (still worth it). I know you all hate the 4.1 but the one I swapped had 179,000 plus miles and I drove like I stole it. It had a small oil leak at the back valve cover and no other problems. It actually felt faster with the 4.1. I believe that the Allante 4.1 is different than the one in the Deville (Intake, Cam)????????. I still have the original 4.1 which I plan to beef up and turbo............. Your thoughts......Negative and Positive all welcome i'm sure all will be negative but my buddy down at the cadillac dealership says the with a little work my 4.1 will easily take 6-7 lbs of boost and a wet shot.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
We shall see.If it does explode/implode/melt/seize hope it doesn't tear up anything but the motor. I'm just tired of looking at this turbo and I have to much in the 4.9 to do "tests"! If it can get 180,000 miles of regular torture I figure i'm good for a little fun time burning hondas and vettes.

·
Registered
69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 03 Corolla | 89 Marquis(scrapped) | 72 Torino(scrapped)
2,026 Posts
I dont think that motor is worth it just for the custom exhaust work alone. Not to mention everything else... You must have alot of free time on your hands! It sure would be a fun experiment though! A learning/practice motor at the very least. Buy a BIG fire extinguisher...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got a friend that can do headers, downpipe, and dual it out for next to nothing. Matter of fact he owes me anyway. I got the turbo. The master rebuild kit is pretty cheap. I only have $1000 in the car cause I got it from some lot that repo'd it and it was wrecked(won't feel to bad chopping up the bumper for intercooler). Oh yeah and my tuning mechanic is my dad and that man can crunch some numbers.

·
Registered
69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 03 Corolla | 89 Marquis(scrapped) | 72 Torino(scrapped)
2,026 Posts
Please post pictures when you do it! If you do, I think you would be the first to post pics and proof of a turbo install in a 4.x engine! Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. The sticky at the top of the forum is SUCH a tease!

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS / 2013 Chevrolet Impala
1,889 Posts
^There have been 4.9's turbo'd before, just never in a Cadillac.
I've got plans to turbo my 4.9 as well, but I don't have the necessary cash. :thepan:

·
Registered
1990 DeVille
181 Posts
This is Buick Grand National experience talking, so take it with a grain of salt.

The easiest way to blow that engine is to let it run lean. That happens when the turbo crams a lot of air (oxygen is about 20%) into the intake, the O2 sensor calls for fuel, and the injectors cannot deliver. As long as you have big enough injectors, the existing O2 sensor will work with your ECU to keep it rich enough. Begin with low boost and work your way up carefully.

Avoid fast WOT, because the system may not deliver enough fuel to keep up with the intake. The turbo will take a second or two to spool, but even unboosted you can get into detonation by hitting the throttle too fast.

An easier way to get power is NOS.

·
Registered
'91 Sedan DeVille Silhouette Special
439 Posts
You're going to turbo the 4.1 and end up with about the same power as the 4.9 puts out stock, probably less. Why don't you just turbo the 4.9?

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
"with a little work" is dealer code for "a lot of $$$$$". Anything is possible with "(insert preferable quote here)"

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
4.9 comes stock at 200. The 4.1 comes stock at 170 so it'll be a bit more. I have alot of money in the 4.9 and i'm happy with that the way it is.

·
Registered
'91 Sedan DeVille Silhouette Special
439 Posts
4.9 comes stock at 200. The 4.1 comes stock at 170 so it'll be a bit more. I have alot of money in the 4.9 and i'm happy with that the way it is.
I see. I forgot the Allante 4.1 was more powerful than the regular 4.1, I'd still turbo the 4.9 waaay before the 4.1 though, but it's your project, good luck with it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does anyone know where I can get a superchip for the 87? All I can find are these cheap ones?!?!?! LOL

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
You'd be lucky to find one for a stock 4.1, let alone one for a turbo 4.1!! Good luck...

·
Registered
93 & 88 Allante, 88 Eldorado
778 Posts
I see. I forgot the Allante 4.1 was more powerful than the regular 4.1, I'd still turbo the 4.9 waaay before the 4.1 though, but it's your project, good luck with it.
About 25 of the additional horsepower comes from the fancy Allante specific intake. I suspect that this intake will have very little advantage over the regular type of intake if the engine is turboed.

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS / 2013 Chevrolet Impala
1,889 Posts
Ideally the best Cadillac turbo set up would be a 4.9L and a turbo aspect ratio of about .57. You can't amp up the 4.9s rpm band, so having a turbo that spools up around 2500rpm would match the 4.9 perfectly.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts