Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
09' V
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Needing a tune here soon and debating weather or not to go with a stealth tune or a dyno tune......... I know dyno is allways the best way to go but if you are unsure of the tuner, what would you do? Has anyone had both? and if so what was the difference in power gained? I'd rather have drivability of the car be enhanced rather than just WOT which is what most dynos do...correct? Not saying my tuner is bad at all, He just pulled 603hp on a stock 02 Zo6 with a procharger/exhaust on mustang dyno. ran out of fuel with 60lb injectors at 5800rpm.....He's good, just don't know if he's going to be able to tune the drivability of the car which from what i understand is Ricks(stealths) specialty..... Any info, comments and advice is appreciated!!

PS: i know nothing about tuning.

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
...a "stock" Z06 with Procharger....
:histeric:

Seriously though, a dyno tune will always get you slightly more power because they can tweak things for your car, and every one is different.

That being said, I'm incredibly happy with my Stealth tune, as Rick has a lot of time and miles in a V to develop his tune. The V is a lot heavier than most LSx cars, so it needs slightly different things to make it feel right. Also, Rick has written the software for some neat extras, like the ability to add a hidden switch that "neuters" the car for valets or teenagers, a lower rev limiter when the engine is cold, fans running on after the engine is off, etc.

It's a tough call, but I'd say go with Stealth if you want the best all around driveability, and go with the dyno tuner if you want every last bit of power.

·
Registered
09' V
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why the laugh? I built the car, i know what it has. kooks,corsa,D1SC,60lb.injectors. 603 to the wheels and put rev limiter at 5800 till he gets a bigger fuel pump.

·
26,239 Posts
I wasn't doubting the truth of your story, I just thought it was funny to use the term "stock" followed by "procharger, injectors, kooks and corsa".

Usually "stock" cars don't have $9,000 worth of mods.

·
Registered
04 ctsV platinum,maggied,rt cats,headers,corsa,stealth tune
4,750 Posts
Ricks tunes are great!but you might get another 10 to 15 rwhp on a dyno with a good tuner.I have 33,000 maggied miles with Ricks tune,what more needs to be said?

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
2,018 Posts
I'm no expert either so if you don't go with the Stealth V tune it's worth driving a few miles to get to a good dyno tune shop. A good tuner is not going tune for WOT only. Find a good Vette or GM dyno tuner but don't just "any" dyno tuner shop.(If the tuner says they will use Diablo or something like that I would'nt use them. Ask if they use EFI Live or HPTuners)

·
Registered
Nada
2,053 Posts
I'm no expert either so if you don't go with the Stealth V tune it's worth driving a few miles to get to a good dyno tune shop. A good tuner is not going tune for WOT only. Find a good Vette or GM dyno tuner but don't just "any" dyno tuner shop.(If the tuner says they will use Diablo or something like that I would'nt use them. Ask if they use EFI Live or HPTuners)
:yeah:

·
Registered
Cadillac
12 Posts
Your in Madison? I'm in Harvest - looking around for a V and having a hell of a time finding anything locally.

Any good tuners around here? Nashville maybe?

Why no on the Diablo?

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
2,018 Posts
Your in Madison? I'm in Harvest - looking around for a V and having a hell of a time finding anything locally.

Any good tuners around here? Nashville maybe?

Why no on the Diablo?
Down the road from you. I went to Bentley Cadillac and they found mine for me. Had some guys on this forum turn me on to Vegeance Racing in Cumming, GA. They do excellent tunes and mod's and work only on GM engines. There's only 4 V's that I know of in N.Bama (all Raven, one's a Katech V). Mine has tinted tails, trunk spoiler, magnaflow exhaust, Kooks Headers just in case you see me.
I don't think Diablo gives you the parameters as the other software or a Stealth V tune. My thoughts are a shop that doesn't invest in the best tuning software is not messing with.

·
Registered
2004 CTSV
193 Posts
Would there be any benefit in getting the Stealth V tune if I already have EFI live on my V? The reason Im asking is because I didnt notice much of a difference after my software was updated. So perhaps the Stealth V tune is better than EFI live.

·
26,239 Posts
Would there be any benefit in getting the Stealth V tune if I already have EFI live on my V? The reason Im asking is because I didnt notice much of a difference after my software was updated. So perhaps the Stealth V tune is better than EFI live.
EFI Live is only as good as what you do with it. I'm not sure if Rick uses EFI or LS1 edit (and I doubt he'll tell us :D), but the quality of the tune is all that matters.

·
Registered
2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V
3,570 Posts
Given the choice, I'd ALWAYS choose a "specific" tune over a mail-order tune, including Stealth Vs (and yes, I've had both more than once...).

(I use the term "specific" because I want to include a "driving" tune, like what Big 3 does, with a dyno tune. A "driving" tune is when they are monitoring your A/F ratios while literally driving your car on the street. This way, they are able to "part-throttle" tune, as well as WOT tune, similar to an eddy-current dyno tune).

This *IS* the best way to tune any car, bar none, for many of the reasons already listed. Clearly, of course, if it's performed by someone who isn't good, that might have a significant impact, so my comment is qualified that it would be better assuming a knowledgable tuner is performing the work.

I would go with Stealth's tune if I didn't have access to a "specific" tune.

·
Registered
2004 CTSV
1,133 Posts
I have two PCM's - one with the standard Magnusson and the other with StealthV. Both are "drivable".

The StealthV tune addresses throttle response so it feels a little quicker. Neither one has been put on a dyno but that's one of the round tuits I hope to get someday.

I believe Rick has made his "mail order" tune rich to be on the safe side. My reason for saying this is based upon empirical observation - I have a CO monitor in my garage that reads ppm CO (normally zero). I installed it when I added a ventless heater in the garage which is below my office and a family room. With the Magnusson tune, I get a reading of 10 ppm when I pull in. With the StealthV tune, the meter jumps to 75 to 90 and I have to keep the garage door open for a while to air it out.

In the best world, I'd get Rick to fine tune his tables based upon a dyno pull or three. But it's still winter where he lives and I already put my F1 EMT's back on:)

Tony

·
Registered
05 CTS-V
23,162 Posts
what did you do with efilive? its a tuning program. just hooking it up to the car wont tune it

1 - 20 of 26 Posts