Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent X-Mas day (well, afternoon) under the hood of the Eldo for a few hours, and it really paid off! The plugs were original with 59k on them, and they weren't the easiest to remove. Once out, they all generally looked "fair," but showed signs of wear, increased gap, and quite a few had some heavy tracing up the insulator. The wires were dried out, and definately in need of replacement.

The rear bank wasn't too hard to get at - to make things easier, my Uncle & I removed the strut brace and took out the coil packs. While we were working on the rear bank, my cousin was nice enough to sand all of the contacts on the coil pack while it was out of the car.

Using Carb cleaner, I spend about 20 mins going hardcore on the TB, which was layered in carbon - it was bad! After 5 or 6 cycles of soaking, wiping, and re-soaking, the TB was clean as a whistle.

We also changed the fuel filter, which was in dire need of replacement. When we put the filter in the pan used to catch the gas, sediment started to come out of it (and it came from the gas line leading to the filter from the tank).

After all was said and done, we spent about 2.5 hours on the car, and probably saved $500. When it was time to turn the key, she was an entirely different car. The idle was silky, with no signs of misses or fluxuations. I can't even begin to describe the difference in acceleration & cruising - it's unreal!

I hardly even tap the accelerator to make the car move! The gas mileage is also up by a huge amount. I averaged 20mpg in mostly city driving. I've never seen more than 14 in the past!

On the whole, the tuneup was one of the best things I could have done for this car. It was pretty easy - I wouldn't worry about doing it again!

-Scott

·
Registered
94 ETC,97 STS
3,531 Posts
Congratulations! I'm glad to hear it went well. I always feel sooooooooo good when I get results like you described.

Thanks for the update!

·
Registered
586 Posts
I did all that not too long ago in steps on my 95. the idle did improve and so did the milage and performance. But for some reason my gas milage went down with wach fix. I dont get it.

anyway... glad to hear you got your eldo running like it should run.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would love to give my sts a tune up, but don't want to pay to have it done. To do a tune up what are the necessary steps. Is it as simple as removing the old spark plugs and putting in new ones and also changing the wires. I do know you need to keep the proper firing order but is there anything else that needs to be done to do a proper tune up? Also when buying the new plugs do they already come gapped? And what type of plugs and wires should i buy? I would appreciate any help with this.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A tuneup typically consists of all new fiters (air & fuel), new plugs, wires, and sometimes a "top end" cleanout of the throttle body and intake. I'm a real "OEM" freak, and insist on only using orignal equipment, which is AC Delco. I bought all of the parts (plugs, wires, and filters) from the dealer. It's a pretty straight-forward tuneup in the northstar. The plugs are usually in there pretty tight, so it takes some effort to break them free. The only real challenge in the N* tuneup are the rear 4 plugs. To make things easier, I removed the stabilizer bar across the rear of the engine bay, and I removed the coil packs on the rear passenger side. Only a few bolts hold each of those on, so it's very easy to remove them.

Once removed, I found the rear bank easy to work on. There was more than enough room for the tools, and everything was pretty basic. The cylinder numbers are labeled on the rocker covers, and the coil packs are also labeled, so it's very easy to hook everything back up. We did one cylender at a time, so there was no chance of any confusion. Just retrace the wires one by one, and it'll be fine. I'd say the hardest part was re-looming the wires so they weren't all tangled into a mess. Otherwise, its not hard at all.

The gap on the ETC is .060, but be sure to double check on the label that's on the hood. The plugs from the dealer (ac delco platinums) were gapped at .035, so with the gapper tool, I had to open them up a bit.

Be sure to use anti-sieze on the plug threads, and dielectric grease on the wire boots. Be careful not to overtighten anything, since these cars do have aluminum heads.

The fuel filter, located on the left side of the car just infront of the rear wheel is also basic - the fuel line screws into the front of the filter, and the line to the tank has a "snap lock." Be sure to use two wrenches - one to hold the filter in place, and the other to spin the nut on the fuel line.

I can't think of much else. I'd say it's an easy job if you take your time, and have some fun with it. We worked slowly, had a beer or two, and made an afternoon of it. Took us about 2.5 hours, but I'm sure if we were more ambitious, it could be done in an hour or less.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Great detail BostonETC97!
Does that spark plug gap also apply to the STS Northstar? Because I usually take the plugs straight out of the box and put right in, no problems so far. But your way is most likely more efficient.

P.S. Is there a way to keep-track of all the threads that one posts on CadillacForums other than going to the different boards and searching for our posts individually?

Falconeo

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Unless the sparkplug box says "do not regap" , always double check the spark gap yourself. I've gotten plugs fresh out of the box that had electrodes that weren't even aligned.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
wOOt.... Glad you got your car running nicely....

Just out of curiousity, how often do you excersize your engine.....?

·
...Reloaded
'05 XLR
1,698 Posts
falconeo said:
P.S. Is there a way to keep-track of all the threads that one posts on CadillacForums other than going to the different boards and searching for our posts individually?
Yes, there are three ways:
  • You can do an Advanced Search and put your username (or someone else's) in the "Search by User Name" field, select either "Find Posts by User" or "Find Threads Started bu User", and complete the rest of the "Search ptions" as desired.
  • Similarly, you can go to your User Profile > Forum Info and hitting the "Find last post", "Find all Posts", or "Find all Threads" link.
  • Last, you can go to your UserCP > Edit Options > Messaging & Notification > Default Thread Subscription Mode and change the "Do Not Subscribe" to one of the other options. This way, you will be subscribed to every Thread you Post in and there will always be a list of your subscribed Threads in you UserCP - there's even a link in the "Quick Links" dropdown option box which can be accessed on just about every page in the CadillacForums! If you do not want email notification when someone posts to one of your subscribed Threads, just select the "No email notification" option, not the "Do not subscribe".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts