Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's very hot here and well over 100. Today for the first time in a while the car was up on a Mustang Dyno -

471 first pull...WTF? It still needs to be be fully tuned as this was the start of the tuning but c'mon?

Question - How much hp difference can quality tuners make? Meaning two well known tuners going head to head - could the difference be 50hp-100hp difference?

What is the average increase on a Dynojet -

I've been on both and others but is there a formula increase on the Dynojet or just knowing it's more kind of thing.

Also - Is there a formula for loss in hp due to weather temps etc...

My goal is 530 - 550 rwhp with my current mods - Am I way off?:eek:

·
Premium Member
'05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon
6,076 Posts
Chef,

Find out what type (if any) correction they are using. Request SAE. This will best let you compare Mustang to Mustang.

The first time I went to the dyno, was on a Mustang 1750HD. I pulled a 295! I was like WTF :confused::confused::confused:. Two other V's were there (Gary andd Marty), and they each pulled 285 & 290. Another guy with a C5Z06 showed up with a procharger (who pulled 475 on a DynoJet) pulled a 380 on that dyno.

Moral of the story, is it's all relative. I certainly wouldn't be sneezing at high 400's for the baseline to start tuning. :thumbsup:

GL,

Chris

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
13,988 Posts
... Find out what type (if any) correction they are using. Request SAE. This will best let you compare Mustang to Mustang. ...
Yeah that.

Another one is "Std" or standard, I believe. For me (on a Dynojet), it was about 355 RWHP with the "Std" correction factor and about 350 with the SAE.

('Course, that was before the maggie. :rolleyes:)

·
Registered
Nada
2,053 Posts
That doesn't sound bad at all to me considering it was your first pull on a Mustang in that kind of heat. SAE correction factors attempt to take ambient temps into account, but your motor's probably gonna feel effects of the heat beyond that. Based on your setup, I don't think your goal is unrealistic for a well-tuned car on a Dynojet. But with bigger cubes you'll always see more of an increase under the curve than at peak.

·
Registered
04 ctsV platinum,maggied,rt cats,headers,corsa,stealth tune
4,750 Posts
I would think your motor should do about the same as your maggied LS6,just more torque and a cleaner engine look.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good feed indeed. I got to the high 470's (summer) to high 490's (winter) without the cam with the Ls6 -supercharged depending on tune so I was little depressed since I've been waiting so long...

Hopefully tomorrow when I pick her up they have found a tad more - 480's plus.

We'll see.

Dynojet is 15%-20% more what? How would you calculate that percentage and apply it? 15% more from the last dyno?

Thanks,
Chef

·
Registered
04 Cadillac CTS-V
181 Posts
It's very hot here and well over 100. Today for the first time in a while the car was up on a Mustang Dyno -

471 first pull...WTF? It still needs to be be fully tuned as this was the start of the tuning but c'mon?

Question - How much hp difference can quality tuners make? Meaning two well known tuners going head to head - could the difference be 50hp-100hp difference?
Dynos are only a tool, not an end all of end alls. The only thing a dyno gives you is a delta, so if you've never been on this one then there is absolutely nothing to worry about. I've always said that dyno #s are just to make your e-penis bigger. ;)

100 is very hot for dyno pulls. Mustangs are historically heartbreakers. 471 first pull is very good. A full tune you net you what you want, but always remember the 471 to compare it to the final tune. Well known (by that I mean good, not just known) tuners should all be with 5 hp of each other. Of course some stay a little more conversative than other, even though the customer wants every last drop of hp pulled out of the motor. Popping a couple people's motors will stomp a name pretty quickly, even if the person asked for it.

c.n. No big deal, wait for the full tune before you get upset. :D

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
Forget all about those big HP numbers,tune that sucker for max torque!That cars still a DD right?I love the maggie because of the torque,you get that big block feel.I'm guessing your car ran damn strong before the swap,I wouldn't expect a night and day difference with a few more cubes.If your like me,you want your car to run with everything out there(not happening)in this life.You can only do so much and have reliability,I think your pretty close with a V platform.500/500 would be awesome in a V,500/500 in a vette would be crazy fast!

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Still a DD. I'm looking at doing a TTM3 for another project or TT911 - 415HP stock and then the goodies...

Oh yeah...I need money first for those....:mad:

Chef

When I drove it recently it was hands down faster from an instant torque respect and all through the powerband...It just keeps pulling. No lag from the supercharger and no heat soak. I do miss the whine though.

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
Some day chef,i'll own a real car.Untill then,this V will be just fine!Now for the highjack,do you know the chef at the new Ritz in Dallas?

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
Dean Fearing,long story short.Girl friends daughter is the event planner there,just got hired.She thinks he's the greatest!We are excited for her,she lacks experience I think,but will make it up with potential.Very career oriented and out going.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, I know Dean. I have done events with him out in L.A. a few years back with Puck, Lagasse, Robert Del Grande and so forth.

This is a new partnership with him and the Ritz. Sort of a new trend in hotel chains.

Mansion On Turtle Creek (Texas) is where he lays his hat...:cowboy:

·
Premium Member
'05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon
6,076 Posts
...No lag from the supercharger and no heat soak. I do miss the whine though.
Two words. Whistle Tips.

WOO-WOO.

-Chris

·
Registered
2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V
3,570 Posts
Dynos are only a tool, not an end all of end alls. The only thing a dyno gives you is a delta, so if you've never been on this one then there is absolutely nothing to worry about. I've always said that dyno #s are just to make your e-penis bigger. ;)
AMEN.

Dynos are only tools and are especially effective at helping you evaluate how much improvement mods give you. Whatever the starting number is, you have a baseline to compare against when future mods get installed.

As far as measuring the number against others, especially on this forum, take caution. Some dynos read differently than others, conditions change, people aren't accurate in what they post, etc. There are a whole host of reasons why one person's numbers might be high/low and it may or may not apply to your specific situation. For instance, some of the dyno numbers people get with a maggied LS6 and a 2.8" pulley would NEVER be obtained on the 3 dynos that I've considered in So Cal. As a matter of fact, I've seen some people proclaim "X" rwhp/rwtq, but have their car dynoed on one of the 3 aforementioned dynos and been very humbled...

At the end of the day, it's a tool. Use it wisely, my friend... :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts