Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Deville Base, 1992 Buick Roadmaster Limited
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Works starting to slow down, so i'm putting money aside to do a tune-up. I plan on replacing the plugs, wires, and belts. I also have to replace the coolant. Should I replace the transmision fluid and filter? Is there anything else I should replace?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,046 Posts
If the transmission fluid is clear red, don't fool with it. What is the "remaining life" of the fluid in your DIC ??

ACDelco Platinum plugs, #41-950 and ACDelco wire set. While you're in there, remove the coils and clean their towers and contact surfaces. Follow the diagrams exactly - those plug wire/coil hookups are critical.

Are the belts obviously worn, cracked or chunks missing from the ribbed areas ? If not, don't mess with them either.

Given the number of botched coolant changes posted, cough up the extra bucks to have your Cadillac dealer do it. :cool:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My belts are showing some slight cracks in them, thats why I want to change them. The trans fluid is a slight brown/red, but I've been told thats normal. Fluid also doesn't smell burnt, and it shifts as normal. I don't see a trans fluid life on my DIC. What should I use to clean the coils? Right now its sitting on 92,000. Moneys been getting tighter so I've been planning ahead.

·
Registered
2003 DHS, 97 BMW Vert, 08 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
87 Posts
If your transmission fluid is starting to discolor I suggest you change it. Call it preventive maintenance.

·
Administrator
71,046 Posts
:yeah:

He's correct - If the fluid is anything other than a nice, clear red, I would change it in a heartbeat. If you really want to spend $$$, use the new synthetic DEXRON-VI. Several schools of thought on just how to do the fluid change, so read up on your preferred method. JimD's method using a clear line from the upper trans fluid cooler fitting on the radiator to a bucket is probably the most efficient and you don't need to go inside the transmission - if the pan isn't leaking now..........

Remember that the transmission is a dry sump unit - there will be NO fluid on the dipstick with the engine off. You must check the level with the engine running warm, in P, and fill to halfway up the dipstick marks.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The belts I planned on doing as preventitive maintnance because 60% I have my two year old son in the car. So I don't have to change the trans filter just the fluid? Trans has no signs of a leak. I've always been told that any transmission has to be running to check the fluid. How much does Dexron-vi costs? I can't seem to find a price.

·
Registered
2001 DTS : 2005 CTS
200 Posts
as a collateral question here, how often "should" the trans fluid be replaced? or at what intervals.....plus by running the codes is there one that refers to this too?

?

Jim

·
Administrator
71,046 Posts
................We have had members check their 4T80E transmissions for fluid level with the engine off, they see no fluid, and the "make it better" syndrome kicks in and they pour in a quart or two. Not good. Not good at all.

The owner's manuals and shop manuals call for transmission fluid changes (this is generic) every 100,000 miles or so, or more often when the car is driven in extremely dusty conditions, tows a trailer, idles for long periods - so-called rough service conditions. The only code that might refer to a transmission fluid question is an overheat code. The life thing is generally monitored by the later DIC oil and fluid systems. JVR,, your car has a perfectly functional transmission fluid life algorithm in the DIC - follow it and the recommended maintenance schedule.

Because transmission fluid is not subject to anything close to the contamination that engine oil experiences, as long as the DEXRON-III or -VI is clear red and does not smell smoky or burned, it's good. When the fluid turns toward brown or has microscopic metal dust swirling around like a psychedelic milkshake, then get it out of there.

·
Registered
95 sedan deville
113 Posts
how many quarts of fluid and where is this JimD method at? (I will punch in search also) I have spare time today so I plan on sticking my nose real deep in my car (and some sudden extra funds popped up too! :D )

1 - 12 of 12 Posts