Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello dudes. Its been a while since i posted last, but i need some advise. My eldorado has a little over 60K on it and it has a hard time starting in the cold morning. I am going to do a complete tune up. What are the best/reliable plugs and wires i should get. I really dont care for the Delco stuff, but if its what i have to get, then so be it. I just dont want this problem to keep occuring. It also may have been bad gas. I filled up at marathon last week when the prblem started. I went with shell this week, so i 'll find out. It did start a little better today, but your recommendations on those plugs and wires will be extremely help full. Thanks

Matt

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
For starters, change the air and fuel filters and clean or change the PCV valve. See if that makes a difference first, 'cause the wires and plugs are suppose to last a lot longer than that. You may want to look at the plugs though. The little piece of platinum on the ground electrode tends to fall off.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
El Dobro said:
For starters, change the air and fuel filters and clean or change the PCV valve. See if that makes a difference first, 'cause the wires and plugs are suppose to last a lot longer than that. You may want to look at the plugs though. The little piece of platinum on the ground electrode tends to fall off.

I will change the fuel filter. I changed the air filter and the pcv valve. I will also look at the plugs. Thanks

·
Registered
16,105 Posts
El Dobro said:
Don't Bosch use a solid piece of platinum for the entire length of the porcelin? There were cases in the past of the tips falling off and causing engine damage, but I won't use anything but Bosch platinum now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi there, just recently picked up a 97 eldorado, 49k miles. Having trouble starting it first time of the day. Doesn't matter if it's 20 degrees or 50 degrees. Try starting it 3 times, each grinding about 5 seconds, and then starts on the fourth try. Have a small backfire, not loud, but i can hear it. Really wants to start, just won't catch. Replaced the fuel filter and the fuel pressure regulator, still the same. Starts fine the rest of the day... Any suggestions?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Bob_B said:
Hi there, just recently picked up a 97 eldorado, 49k miles. Having trouble starting it first time of the day. Doesn't matter if it's 20 degrees or 50 degrees. Try starting it 3 times, each grinding about 5 seconds, and then starts on the fourth try. Have a small backfire, not loud, but i can hear it. Really wants to start, just won't catch. Replaced the fuel filter and the fuel pressure regulator, still the same. Starts fine the rest of the day... Any suggestions?
The first thing most people here will tell you is to see what codes the car is throwing. That may tell you quite a bit. Second, if this was an older car I'd swear it was out of time. And it may be. There are quiet a few sensors that can affect the timing so the codes are important.
Bob

·
Registered
204 Posts
The '97 owners manual says to change your plugs every 100,000 miles, because they are platinum. I doubt its your plugs, unless they are fouled by running rich.

Someone said their car backfires when starting. That is sometimes a symptom of too much raw gas in the exhaust. Again, the fuel supply to the plugs is too rich.

Since the fuel is regulated by injectors I'd consider that's where the problem lies (for both of you), with the injectors.

Are you getting poor mileage too? That would again lean toward injectors, or the electronics controling the injectors.

As far as what is good or bad gas goes, I've alway been partial to Chevron. I've fallen for its Techron marketing, that it cleans.

I won't EVER in my lifetime use Exxon because of the attitude that corporation took about the Exxon-Valdez disaster in Alaska. But this is not a political forum so enuff said about that.

..rickko..

·
Registered
8 Posts
bob2231 said:
The first thing most people here will tell you is to see what codes the car is throwing. That may tell you quite a bit. Second, if this was an older car I'd swear it was out of time. And it may be. There are quiet a few sensors that can affect the timing so the codes are important.
Bob
Unfortunately having just purchased the vehicle, I'm not familiar with how to obtain the codes. I had an older eldo and seville and recall that the codes were displayed via the ACC, but particular buttons neaded to be held in order to switch the system into diagnostics. I don't know how to do it on tis car.

Bob

·
Registered
520 Posts
Bob_B said:
Unfortunately having just purchased the vehicle, I'm not familiar with how to obtain the codes. I had an older eldo and seville and recall that the codes were displayed via the ACC, but particular buttons neaded to be held in order to switch the system into diagnostics. I don't know how to do it on tis car.

Bob
Mine is a bit older(92) but the procedure may be the same. Ignition on, but not running, push "off" and "warmer" on the climate control at the same time for a couple seconds. It gives you current then history codes. Then turn off the ignition to exit. You can go and search the archives for "codes", or " get codes", something like that and you'll find lots of stuff probably. Plus someone else will come along here before long and tell you for your car.
Bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
7 Participants
bob2231