Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
'06 D3 STS-V and '05 CTS-V
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of talk about engine performance but does anyone have experience w/ giving their STS-V transmission a tune up f/ better performance?

I'm not referring to any upgrades but simply a tune up f/ lack of a better word.

I guess as a follow up question has anyone invested in 6L80 upgrades and did you obtain any measurable improvments?

·
Registered
2007 sts-v, 2011 Escalade EXT
382 Posts
The simplest answer "no" the transmission tuning for these cars is "funky" to say the least. It'll hold tons of power but it's either going to shift hard as a rock or slow and buttery. If your looking for improvements in durability don't bother.... It's plenty strong as is

·
Registered
06' STS V
491 Posts
Lots of talk about engine performance but does anyone have experience w/ giving their STS-V transmission a tune up f/ better performance?

I'm not referring to any upgrades but simply a tune up f/ lack of a better word.

I guess as a follow up question has anyone invested in 6L80 upgrades and did you obtain any measurable improvments?
Contact TimmyC, he offer a trans tune that several others swear by....

·
Registered
2006 STS-V and 2007 STS-V The Murdalac
1,905 Posts
You need access to HPTuners software. It flashes through the OBD2 port.

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac STS-V
320 Posts
You need access to HPTuners software. It flashes through the OBD2 port.
Thanks Tim, I figured so. I would need to purchase the software in order to apply the tune.

How did you swing that?.........2007 still under warranty.......sweet.
Previous owner added the GMPP extended warranty, a couple of days before it ran out I decided to extend it as well. Unfortunately this was very expensive and I have limited km's. 7k km's left till my warranty is up.

I payed $3000.00 for 2 Year/30,000km. The problem is I drive her too much.

FYI I have over $9000.00 in warranty claims.

·
Registered
2013 OBM CTS-V Coupe
2,664 Posts
Tim is very good at what he does.

·
Registered
08 STS-V,10 escalade,80 sedan deville diesel 13 cts vagon
1,611 Posts
If some one takes the time too do it right it's night and day over stock. Mine is set to shift different in drive/ sport/ manual. Makes the car so much more fun to drive. Feels like you pick up 50hp also. You don't it's just that much more sporty feeling.

·
Registered
'06 STS-V, '17 CTS-V
776 Posts
If some one takes the time too do it right it's night and day over stock. Mine is set to shift different in drive/ sport/ manual. Makes the car so much more fun to drive. Feels like you pick up 50hp also. You don't it's just that much more sporty feeling.
The sweet Fasterproms "Jekyll & Hyde" tune. Dr. Jekyll in the Auto mode, the Mr. Hyde in the sport mode!

·
Registered
2006 STS-V, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, 1999 Chevrolet Suburban LT 4x4
1,417 Posts
I would add, that making sure you have fresh fluid is a must. I couldn't get over the difference after I flushed and refilled mine.

However, as others have mentioned, I have had mine tuned at a very well known and respected late model GM performance shop here in Chicago. They have tuned all my other LS cars without any issues and I've gotten to know the guy who tuned them. But our transmissions have a funky tune to them and there really isn't a ton of things that can be done via tune. I asked. Later 6L80's say in G8's have more available parameters to adjust. It seemed to get more "funky" after doing the Spectre intake. I think part of this is because it uses values from the MAF to determine a calculated torque value. But I'm not a tuner myself, so... So now if you've altered airflow across the MAF by adding a larger diameter tube, even with the sleeve Spectre later gave us, you're still not potentially getting accurate readings in certain driving situations.

My biggest issue is low speed engagement and it's sensitivity to boost.

Low speed engagement: Say I come up to a stop sign and sorta "roll through it...", the minute I go to breathe on the throttle again, RPM's temporarily spike/flash and then you feel the trans catch up.
Sensitivity to boost: Say I get on it a little. Due to traffic in front of me, or other cars that just can't accelerate at the rate this car can, I have to let off the throttle as soon as I hit it, the RPM's spike/flash big time, then drop, and again, you feel the trans catch up.

Both situations are sorta like a manual transmission, where you slightly depress the clutch while on the gas, then let it back out and it all reconnects, snapping the car

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I would add, that making sure you have fresh fluid is a must. I couldn't get over the difference after I flushed and refilled mine.

However, as others have mentioned, I have had mine tuned at a very well known and respected late model GM performance shop here in Chicago. They have tuned all my other LS cars without any issues and I've gotten to know the guy who tuned them. But our transmissions have a funky tune to them and there really isn't a ton of things that can be done via tune. I asked. Later 6L80's say in G8's have more available parameters to adjust. It seemed to get more "funky" after doing the Spectre intake. I think part of this is because it uses values from the MAF to determine a calculated torque value. But I'm not a tuner myself, so... So now if you've altered airflow across the MAF by adding a larger diameter tube, even with the sleeve Spectre later gave us, you're still not potentially getting accurate readings in certain driving situations.

My biggest issue is low speed engagement and it's sensitivity to boost.

Low speed engagement: Say I come up to a stop sign and sorta "roll through it...", the minute I go to breathe on the throttle again, RPM's temporarily spike/flash and then you feel the trans catch up.
Sensitivity to boost: Say I get on it a little. Due to traffic in front of me, or other cars that just can't accelerate at the rate this car can, I have to let off the throttle as soon as I hit it, the RPM's spike/flash big time, then drop, and again, you feel the trans catch up.

Both situations are sorta like a manual transmission, where you slightly depress the clutch while on the gas, then let it back out and it all reconnects, snapping the car
You my friend need a better trans tune They did not get it right.

·
Registered
'06STSV(sold), '13 SHO
616 Posts
I was gonna say the same thing. That lag and spool up is EXACTLY why I hated the Fusion that I owned before the Caddy, that is how CVT trans run.
My original stock trans tune nor the modified one I run now ever did anything like that.

·
Registered
'06 STS-V, '17 CTS-V
776 Posts
I 2nd this opinion. My Fasterproms tune by Jeremy Formato, who Mad1 turned me onto, in Gettysburg , PA, is KILLER. It's AWESOME in auto mode, and much more even in sport! Dude knows how to tune this car to the edge of safe. I was so impressed with my first mod & tune experience, that my ride is back at Gettysburg this week for more mods to be slapped on it and tuned, like the TB, ported blower, and 2.4" upper. I have no worries with him working on it that the car won't run right, or be technically/mechanically SAFE & sound.

----------

FYI Fasterproms is based in Tampa for the boys in FL. He flys up to a buddy's shop four times/year to do work in the NE. He's tuned at least three other owner' scars one here, I know that much.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
When you going to be in Gettysburg with your car. I'm going to get the Ctsv tuned on spray on the 25. Trying for 800. And gm nationals is in Carlisle this weekend.

·
Registered
'06 STS-V, '17 CTS-V
776 Posts
Not out till the 27 for p/u. Love to go to Nationals sometime, but it's my kid's baptism this weekend!

Wish I was out there same time as you to see your car(s)!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts