Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to look into getting a tune up for my car, and I have heard that people get their cap and rotor replaced. Than, someone told me I may not have those on my engine. Do I have these, and does it benefit to replace them if I want the 4.9 to run like new again (a 92 with 125K)?

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Yes you do. Excuse me, but I find it hard to believe you have that hot Trans Am and you don't know if your car has these?! Do you do your own work on the TA and Caddy? If you are like me you are under your hood all the time and the neighbours always "think" it broke down. ;) Anyway, most vehicles today use coil packs instead of distributors. They have no need for distributor caps or rotors. Camshaft and crankshaft sensors have replaced these things. If you have a rough running engine, or it lacks power, then you could change these. On my Ford 5.0, I looked at the contacts in the cap and I could not believe the car still ran! They were rusted and pitted, and the rotor was rusted and worn down, yet, the car still ran good! Go figure.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts