Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brought my V in for a TSB (clutch pedal stays down at high RPM's) and the service rep tells me these TSB's are not covered under the factory warranty. Is he correct and does anyone have a similar experience?
Tks.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Call your regional rep tomorrow and report than dumb mother****er. 100% if your cars is not acting right, and its under warranty, that needs to be fixed.

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
Clutch issues can often fall under the umbrella of "maintenance" depending on how many miles you have on your car.

If you're over 30k, it's going to be difficult to get a clutch under warranty. I would agree on continuing to attempt a warranty repair, albeit a little more considerately.

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
1,627 Posts
I too have tried, and failed, to have this TSB done on my car and now the problem is so bad that at 23000 miles I will have to replace the clutch very soon. I also believe that my clutch has never been right from the get go but I didn't have anything to compare it to. If you have the chance, compare your clutch pedal feel to that of someone else with a V and you might feel a drastic difference, I did. The funny part is --- Cadillac still won't replace a defective clutch, even when you have the TSB in hand. OK, I'm done bitchin now.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Damn, I would be so pissed. Id contact your regional service rep and give him your rant (including things that dont even have to do with this like bring up differntial problems etc) hopefully hell come around!!!!

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
Damn, I would be so pissed. Id contact your regional service rep and give him your rant (including things that dont even have to do with this like bring up differntial problems etc) hopefully hell come around!!!!
It has been my experience that regional service reps do not respond as well to ranting and raving as they do to straight talk ("just the facts, mam"), - but thats just me.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
The bulletin states that there is a condition where some models were built with suspected bad parts. It clearly outlines the inspection procedure and how to identify suspect parts by looking at the date code on the clutch.

If the vehicle meets the criteria of the bulletin then it should be repaired under warranty.
The TSB clearly indicates that if the vehicle is under factory warranty and the conditions for this bulletin are met that this repair is covered.

To be fair, I don't know the circumstances of the situation in this service department, but... I would bring your concerns to the attention of Cadillac by calling the customer service number and explaining the situation in as much detail as you can. If you can contact the area manager that is a good idea too. Just express your concerns, explain the issue, explain what the bulletin says and then ask why this shouldn't be a covered repair.
I can see where they might consider the clutch to be what we call a "wear item", but your problem isn't because the clutch is worn out, it is because it has a concern with a faulty part. (provided the date code is correct)

How far would you have to drive to bring it here? ;)

Reactions: CIWS

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Freud would like that: "Hell come around."

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
I have also seen third party warranties refuse to pay for TSBs or ANYTHING RELATED TO A TSB on any part of the car.

·
Registered
2009 Cadillac CTS-V
187 Posts
I cannot find this TSB anywhere, does anybody know where I can get it?

My clutch this morning was stuck close to the floor and I could not shift into any gear. After about
5 minutes I was able to force it into 2nd then force 3rd and 4th.
I was headed to the dealership but after about 30 minutes of driving it started to act normal again.

Do you guys think they will honor this TSB if they can't duplicate the problem? I wish I
had went up there with the clutch stuck, barely able to shift into 2nd, and the TSB in hand.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Here is the TSB. Get ready to argue about 2004 vs. 2005.
They will say it doesn't apply. Just ask them if the date code on a 2004 will be prior to the date code listed in the bulletin.

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V
151 Posts
My 2005 was built in November 2004 and purchased in December 2004. It wasn't a year old when I noticed that the clutch stuck to the floor one time at high rpm's. I told the dealer about the TSB and they replaced the clutch; no charge, no problem.

·
Registered
2009 Cadillac CTS-V
187 Posts
Here is the TSB. Get ready to argue about 2004 vs. 2005.
They will say it doesn't apply. Just ask them if the date code on a 2004 will be prior to the date code listed in the bulletin.

The TSB does clearly say 2005 CTS-V. It doesnt include 2004. But it does say replace if clutch kit was built before a certain date code.

Okay call me crazy, but if I have a 2004 wouldn't that be before any
build date on a 2005 so my clutch may be defective too, right? It says replace if built before Dec. 21, 2004, wouldn't that be any 2004?

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
That is the way we treat the bulletin here, but not every shop will do that.
They might insist that the bulletin does not apply.
We use the parts outlined in the bulletin to do the repair but submit it as a warranty item.
The claim could reject if they actually use the bulletin for submission purposes, but you can use it as a guide as to what the problem is.

·
Registered
2009 Cadillac CTS-V
187 Posts
That is the way we treat the bulletin here, but not every shop will do that.
They might insist that the bulletin does not apply.
We use the parts outlined in the bulletin to do the repair but submit it as a warranty item.
The claim could reject if they actually use the bulletin for submission purposes, but you can use it as a guide as to what the problem is.
If only you guys weren't 7 hours and 500 miles away.

You know, I actually thought the clutch did that on purpose. Mine has been staying at the floor since day one. I thought it was some kind of racing clutch that stayed down under acceleration to make shifting faster!
It always eventually came back up, until yesterday.

·
Registered
2009 Cadillac CTS-V
187 Posts
Well, I did it again!

I tried a little spirited driving tonight to see if I would get the same results as Wednesday and guess what.
I launched easily in 1st, let the rpm's build, shift to 2nd, and then 3rd. Once I slowed because I ran out of open road, car was done shifting. Clutch was stuck close to floor and I couldn't shift at all. I was close to home by this time so I slowed down, was finally able to force it into 2nd gear and creeped home.
I didn't stop immediately though. I drove around the neighborhood another 10 minutes to see if the clutch would come back up but no. I was able to force 3rd though.

Now I get to go to the dealership tomorrow and fight with them. The clutch isn't slipping like it's just worn out, it's sticking to the floor. I don't see how they can honestly refuse to fix it under warranty. Especially since they have the TSB for 05's, but we have ranted about that enough.

I think the clutch will still be stuck by the time I get there tomorrow, but if it goes back to normal before I get there, do you guys think I should duplicate the problem and then take it there freshly stuck to the floor?

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts
I had this problem on both my '04 and '05. Ewill3rd may confirm this, but I believe they will have to removed the assembly to check for the date code. If it's not in the TSB's range, the dealer may ask you to pay for the labor. I had VERY good luck calling Cadillac Customer Service directly. 1-800-458-8006, I only dealt with Ashton Hinton. Not sure he's still there but he got a lot done for me when the dealership refused and the ASM refused.

·
Registered
1959 Cadillac, 1980 Cadillac,Former 2005 CTS-V; now a 2009 V
2,210 Posts
what exactly did he get done for you? i'm curious what these guys are able to do if the ASM and dealership both refuse... because i may have to call them :-/

1 - 20 of 31 Posts