Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TSB 10-07-30-005a (Transmission output shaft and transfer case input "shearing")

After a 9 hour round trip commute (Friday 5 hours and Sunday night 4 hours at the Bay Bridge in MD) my CTS4 decided to give up the ghost, literally 3 houses from my home. I could not have been more fortunate if I tried.

Did my homework last night and my 2008 3.6DI AWD certainly falls within the limits of this Technical Service Bulletin. I will pull the exhaust, drop the rear prop shaft and front shaft this evening and start disassembly of the driveline.

http://workshop-manuals.com/cadillac/sts_awd/v6-3.6l/transmission_and_drivetrain/automatic_transmission/transaxle/seals_and_gaskets_a/t/system_information/technical_service_bulletins/all_technical_service_bulletins_for_seals_and_gaskets/10-07-30-005a/

According to the TSB, both the output shaft from the 6L50 (6 speed, longitudinal mounted and 50 is its power rating, 45 would be less capable, 60 would be more) and the input shaft for the transfer case (or from what I have seen the RWD models do this too in 2008 and 2009) are both suspect. They have redesigned the parts from 2010 on, requiring you to change BOTH parts in the system, hence the expensive labor costs to do the job. The output shaft for the transmission is under 100 bucks for GM parts and the input shaft is around 300. There are few other seals (a few but not many others) that are required to do this job.

I will keep you posted. I am the guy that swapped the front carrier on the CTS4 last week in my driveway (jacked the driveline, supported the car and lowered the front cradle on three jacks...alignment was spot on!). I am certainly not afraid of big jobs but this one seems mean, given I just had to do that one 300 miles ago!

Things I have found so far:
The shafts interconnect in a 'dry' environment, so when they go bad they don't shave garbage into the fluids of either the transfer case or the trans.

There was a beautiful pdf of someones repair bill from this job, listing all the part numbers for this job, I will be sure to like that post and link it here. I will also try to take some pics as I go, in case there is another 'me' looking one night for intel on how to do the job.

The output shaft for the transmission goes in from the FRONT of the transmission. Literally every single component must come out to do the job. Not sure yet if I need any specialty tools from GM to do the job, but I will record that too.

Taking a stab at this looks like 500-600 in parts to do the job. According to the breakdown I saw, job paid 30 labor hours on warranty. That is usually pretty accurate time, given GM doesn't pay you to stand around, so it could well be that much work. I will let you know. FWIW, I can now do the carrier in under 5 hours total. Why do I know that? Well because I nicked the output shaft seal the first time and had to do the job twice!!!

Cassidy

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: TSB 10-07-30-005a (Transmission output shaft and transfer case input "shearing")

Today's update:

Used a rather barbaric method to get my car up the driveway (Silverado with an old tire and cardboard) so I could get it on jack stands. Next the exhaust (comes right down, easiest I have EVER taken off), then front driveshaft disconnect, then rear shaft disconnect bolts at the front, bearing support in the middle and the three 18mm nuts and bolts at the back.

Driveshaft out of the way and you can see how the transfer case comes down. If you spin the rear driveshaft output you hear that horrible noise of grinding. Front one, you don't because there is a clutch setup inside that box.

Use a jack or transmission jack to support the transmission oil pan and then undo the four 15mm crossmemeber bolts. Whole assembly will tip towards you, but not too much. The motor mounts in our cars are staggered, not one in line with the other, so the motor won't tip too far.
Cross member is held on by two 18mm bolts that are sort of odd to get to. Not hard, just odd. I used an impact swivel socket and an air wrench, came right out.

Next the transfer case bolts, 7 if I recall and give it a good wiggle. The transfer case has a few electrical connectors, they are all different so you won't mess up and reconnect them wrong.

Finally the first half of things is out. You will see the two shafts that are wrecked. It is very easy to tell what is bad there, as both pieces are just dust.

Interesting design, this also keeps all this garbage from getting into the transmission or the transfer case itself. There is a paper gasket in there but these two systems are separated. Good deal for us!

Parts list for the job, according to GM and as written in the TSB:

Part Number

Description

Qty

Shaft Assembly, Transmission Output (MYB, MX7)

Shaft Assembly, Transmission Output (MYA)

Seal, A/Trans Case (O-Ring)

Shaft, Transfer Case Input (CTS)

Shaft, Transfer Case Input (STS, SRX)

Seal, A/Trans Fluid Pump

Seal Kit, A/Trans Service

Plate Kit, Control Solenoid Valve Filter

1051344 (U.S.)
993037 (Canada)

Lubricant, Wheel Bearing

GASKET-TRFER CASE

Hoping this might help someone some time in the future. Tonight I plan to drop the transmission out. Not sure yet how, there are a number of bolts that will be buggers to get. I've got some ideas :)

Cassidy

·
Registered
2008 CTS4 3.6 LY7
236 Posts
Re: TSB 10-07-30-005a (Transmission output shaft and transfer case input "shearing")

This problem is what scares me and I've been seeing more and more of it lately. I'm almost tempted to dump the car and get some else......

·
Registered
SOLD
228 Posts

Nice work did you take any pictures? I have a feeling that I might need your write-up one day.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I will post some soon. Transitioning at work, somehow this job at night is helping keep me calm.

Tonight was a fight with getting both catalytic converters out and then the starter. Then you need a 19mm socket to turn the crank clockwise (NEVER turn our motors backwards, no good can come from that!

Next you have 6 of the tightest 18mm bolts from the flex plate to the torque converter. They are 1/2 in drive tight at first, then just a pain to get loose. I ended up hanging the trans, motor and front frame cradle on two jacks and working through the wheel well.

I haven't gotten the trans out yet, that is tomorrow night.
http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/mm5/graphics/Catalog-pdf/6L45.pdf

Here is a breakdown, part number 678 is what goes bad. Like getting a root canal from a proctologist. Its is literally the first thing you install in the trans and the last you take out. Ugh.

My personal opinion what caused the failure: Moisture. Everything is coated in rusty dust. The soft metal of the shaft and splines was not treated for corrosion. This area is exposed (with a vent) to the nastiest of nasty undercarriage conditions. I think the revised version with the o-ring is designed to keep the grease in there and the moisture out.

More tomorrow,
Cassidy

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS DI AWD Thunder Gray Chromaflair/Ebony
798 Posts

Cassidy,

I'm finding these details helpful. Unfortunately, my 2008 CTS4 just failed last night and needed to be towed to the dealer. Did you manage to get this issue fixed? How many hours did it ultimately take?

My car is at the dealer now. My initial quote was $3,900 and the dealer gave me gave me a 10% discount. Still a substantial sum to spend on this issue.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,168 Posts

Nicely done. Sorry you had to do it, but nice work and a great writeup.

·
Registered
2008 CTS
26 Posts

I'm worried I'm going to put a transmission in mine and it'll be this problem. Mine does seem to go in reverse and the dealer said the transmission was "burnt up". Anyway to know for sure before ordering a transmission?

·
Registered
2008 CTS 3.6 DI AWD
12 Posts

Cassidy, any updates on this?
Would like to repair before it leaves me stranded. Any special tools required?

·
Registered
SOLD - 2010 CTS4 Premium Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere Interior
2,930 Posts

The last time Cassidy was on the forum was June 18, 2015 so I wouldn't hold my breath for a response, too bad he isn't still active.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts