Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Seville (base model)
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, this question was obviously a mistake for several reasons. Among them, I don't agree with members who say people ONLY buy a car to get them from point A to point B and for no other reason. If that were they case, why would some people have more than one car? I also don't agree with those who said I damaged my own car during some wild "flip out", whatever that was supposed to mean. A previous owner installed a cheap Kenwood deck improperly and only 1 front and 1 rear speaker worked because they wired in their own speaker wires. So I removed it to find out why it wasn't working right and discovered one channel was blown, and that someone had cut the factory harness thinking they could just hook up any stereo to the original wires. (I posted pics of this mess back when I got the car). THAT is why there is no radio. As for the armrest, the installer at Best Buy broke the top part leaning all his weight onto it. In fact I have a date set next month in small claims court to recoup something for the damage he did. I don't agree it's not selling because it doesn't have a Northstar, or because it has new struts, or because it has new wheels. And I really don't think my price is unfair.

Sorry I ever posted my question. I thought it would help me understand, but it only ended up getting far too many negative replies and nothing positive.

·
Registered
03 STS
2,527 Posts
its only worth what someone is willing to pay. what are similar cars listed for in your area? its a caddy. you don't need to list every option. but you need traffic. you have had no lookers. what does that mean? price is too high. maybe sell the wheels separate. put the stockers back on. get a used radio, throw in some freon.

·
Registered
01 Cadillac Seville STS
56 Posts
The word firm really turns me off from looking at a car. I like to at least think there is some wiggle room.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its only worth what someone is willing to pay. what are similar cars listed for in your area? is a stock car with stock wheels selling for 2000? 1500? nice wheels are an issue. many do not care for them and you have to find someone who wants them. do you have the stock wheels? maybe try and sell them separate? no radio and no a/c is a big deal. try to find a used radio and find the a/c leak. maybe get lucky and put in some freon to at least make it work. but you have not had an lookers. change your ad to say "no problems". than when buyers show up, perhaps be willing to drop the price if they have issues with your things that need fixing.
Similar cars in my area are selling for $3500-6000.
You're right about the wheels. No, I already sold the stock chrome wheels.
The stereo was previously hacked out by someone who cut the factory harness.
The a/c works, but it's just not very cold. This was the last year they used R-12, which sucks.

OR... jack the price to $4000 then point out the issues and let them offer me $3000. LOL! (my buddy does that all the time). :shhh:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The word firm really turns me off from looking at a car. I like to at least think there is some wiggle room.
Yeah, you're probably right. But when I've sold cars for my brother last year, every time I posted OBO, I would get lowball offers over the phone without the person even coming to look at the car. Maybe I should say "$3500 or best offer" and let them offer me $3000. I just can't afford to take any less than maybe $2500 but anything less would get them a car on blocks. LOL!

My buddy suggested I could make a few grand just by parting it out, but I asked him why in the world would I want to part out a perfectly good running car. :hmm:

I'll remove the "firm" part right now. Thanks.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just figured out one problem: the darned ad isn't even showing up!!! I've searched every possible way I can but it's not there! Ironically, when I click on the link in my email inbox the ad shows up. And in my account settings it shows it is an active listing.

NOW I'm curious. I could take days for anyone from CL to get back to me if I ask them why my ad isn't showing up.

No freaking wonder I'm not getting any calls! :hmm:

But I did change it to $3500 or best cash offer, hoping I can still get at least close to $3000 out of it.

·
Registered
1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t
3,013 Posts
It isn't a N* -----------------strike 1

It still has the N* curse-------strike 2

Many 93's under $3000--------strike 3

I actually would take a 4.9 over a N*, it's just that 93 was the last year for 4.9 in a eldo., so their
getting old.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It isn't a N* -----------------strike 1

It still has the N* curse-------strike 2

Many 93's under $3000--------strike 3
Everyone I've talked to locally who owns or has owned a Cadillac says I'm lucky it's NOT a NorthStar engine! So subtract 1 of those strikes.

Doesn't have any N* curses if it doesn't have the N*, so take away the 2nd strike.

ONLY ONE 93 Seville is listed ANYWHERE in Western Washington, (for $2400) but it's completely stock and probably needs struts. Doesn't have half the stuff mine has. But where are you seeing all the 93's for under $3000? There are very few of ANY year of Seville in my area for less than what I'm asking.:hmm:

·
Registered
04 Deville, 11 DTS Premium, 00 Deville (sold), 02 Deville (sold)
2,691 Posts
Too much information in your add... keep it simple. You need to start a new add on Craig's list it's still not showing up in Seattle/Tacoma.

·
Registered
1993 Cadillac Eldorado Sport Coupe 4.6L Northstar "Y"
130 Posts
Everyone I've talked to locally who owns or has owned a Cadillac says I'm lucky it's NOT a NorthStar engine! So subtract 1 of those strikes.

Doesn't have any N* curses if it doesn't have the N*, so take away the 2nd strike.

ONLY ONE 93 Seville is listed ANYWHERE in Western Washington, (for $2400) but it's completely stock and probably needs struts. Doesn't have half the stuff mine has. But where are you seeing all the 93's for under $3000? There are very few of ANY year of Seville in my area for less than what I'm asking.:hmm:
Northstars are great, anyone who bashes them only have problems with it because there careless about there vehicles and let them rot which in return leads people to think alot about the cars they own to be this "sh1tty" car because how they treat it... who would of thought? you treat your car like sh1t, and your car will treat you like sh1t.... that should be a quote.

the reason the person was saying:
strike 1 --- no N*
strike 2 --- still has N* curse
= is because you don't have a northstar, you have the sluggish 4.9L so it may draw attention away, but those things aside you have an "oil leak" which people will assume (if not savvy) will think of the notorious northstar leak, so they will definitely back away... i know i would. Hence why he said "still has N* curse", because its usually the N* with the leak, not so much the 4.9L. In my personal opinion i would enjoy a Northstar over a 4.9L overall for mileage reasons and performance reasons, whether there is a leak or not.

I currently have 217k on my eldorado and it still runs like it came off the line. Because of the condition the vehicle is in (darn near perfect/mint) i have had people for example offer me straight up trades for the following: WS6 TA (3rd gen), 98' ford f250 4dr, 97' Chevy Silverado (with an LQ9 swap!!). The last one he wanted extra 2k for the vehicle just cause he knew what he had under the hood. But im pretty sure you get the picture. Your listing all these issues that make it sound to the public like you got angry and started swinging fists in this car!:histeric: Broken armrests? No Radio? this to me sounds like you had some "flipouts" in the car and just started attempting to rip it apart, so under that impression i have know idea what you have done to the rest of the car. NOW THIS IS MORE THAN LIKELY NOT THE ISSUE WHATS GOING ON, YOU ASKED FOR OPINIONS, AND THIS IS MY FIRST IMPRESSION OF IT AS IF I WERE TAKING INTEREST INTO THE AD TOO! so take no offense.

·
Registered
1993 Cadillac Eldorado Sport Coupe 4.6L Northstar "Y"
130 Posts
and keep your ad simple. Just put in mileage and offer your looking for. Put in your phone number and add "call if your interested, or for more info", THAT WAY at least you'll be happy your getting calls!

·
Registered
2006 STS V Tango int
2,341 Posts
The majority of car buyers are people just looking for an appliance, something to drive from point A to B, its tough to sell older caddies there just isn't a lot of appreciation for them, most people would rather buy a honda or some japcrap, now there is a small amount of buyers looking for a luxury car, and that small amount is hard to find, basically your selling to a short list of buyers

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
Then the other thing is who ever looks for a Cadillac doesn't look for a customized Cadillac. For example I would stop reading the add right after "NEW 17" Zinik Russo Z24 wheels", definitely I would not even get to the "NEW Gabriel Ultra struts!" witch will really really make me close the page.

·
Registered
2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT
5,607 Posts
FWIW, I sold my '95 Deville with similar mileage for $2k, which I thought was on the high side of reasonable. I put all new gaskets from the pan to the throttle body (minus HG's) on it, new struts, mounts, ALL new bushings (even subframe), new motor and transmission mounts, and the body and interior were near pristine. Drove like new.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 White Diamond STS
105 Posts
OP - I live just north of you and just bought my Seville off C/L just two weeks ago. I'll offer my constructives, but please don't get upset over the responses; if you want to know what others think, be prepared to hear if it's not all good ;)

Things that turned me off Cadillacs I looked at on Craigslist:
1) non-factory wheels
2) missing/broken pieces in the interior (usually I'll just move to the next car if any cars had this, understanding that "next car" doesn't mean it has to be another 1993 in your color, etc. Yes I could fix the niggling interior issues myself, or just find another car with everything in order and save myself the trouble. Usually a car kept in better condition is a good indicator of how easy or difficult the car's life has been. A car in need of a lot of things doesn't "show" well, regardless of how much you mark it down from KBB.)
3) incomplete, erratic, or long service history on the carfax
4) Too many owners in the car's life
5) "FIRM" price listings (seriously, I wouldn't even call these people; instant radioactive to this consumer. Usually it means they have a false inflated sense of value for their car. Not saying that was your case, but typically that's a good signal for this)
6) Higher mileage compared to peers (either locally on C/L, on ebay, or Autotrader)

Now, for what it's worth, I doubt you'll find a specific '93 Seville client who is searching high & low in your local area for your specific car with your options. At that price point, even if you don't want to hear it, you're more likely to find the consumer who is just looking for cheap transportation. If they weren't, they wouldn't be calling you about a $3,000 car - think about it. ;) So let's be fair about who you'd be marketing to; it's not a claim that all Cadillac buyers don't care. Also understand that your peers listed for sale in the marketplace aren't just on craiglist. There are numerous auto listing services (ebay, autotrader, yahoo, etc), and many dealership with their used lots will advertise somewhere else online too.

Don't assume that your target client is shopping specifically for a '93 Seville and that the fact there aren't any others on craigslist with your color and options adds any value to the car - unfortunately it doesn't. :( Chances are that someone looking specifically for a '93 Seville will most likely be expanding their search out of the local area and looking to buy the absolute BEST example they can find. I know this because I was that customer. I knew what car I wanted and was willing to fly to New York to buy it if need be. But understand I was looking at some of the more expensive examples out there.

Lastly, understand that everything posted here was in an attempt to help you out. No one here has anything to gain by insulting you. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts