Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Customized black on tan 3.6L CTS
5,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have been digging around looking at all the dyno charts people have posted. Some of them have been in the 225 to 230 range while others have been in the 196 to 206 range.

Mine and snoops were in the low range. Mine being the lowest. I did however, notice an anomaly. The higher number runs were run with STD correction while mine and Snoops were run with SAE correction. I think that this could potentially be the primary difference. Could this difference in correction cause the different numbers?

Basically, Im trying to figure out why my numbers were so low. Am I losing power due to my exhaust? I have high flow cats, 2.5" pipes, x-pipe, and magnaflow mufflers.

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.6L
2,493 Posts
Its something to look into. Weather or no weather you should have done better than .05 compared to my stock time. I had nothing done to my car. It was humid and hella hot that day too. I know with practice you do much better but you should have been able to just put your foot to the floor and been .2 faster

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im more concerned with the dyno numbers at this point. Heat and humidity do not affect your 1/4 mile nearly as much as barometric pressure does.

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.6L
2,493 Posts
I understand that there is a diff...im just saying. 1/4 times are more important to me. You cant race on a dyno. Plus with all the discrepancies these dyno numbers are showing its hard to rank one with another. Cant fool the clock though.

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Correct. I know for certain that with optimal track conditions I an run between 14.4 and 14.7.

Can you remember any details about your runs? Sunny? Cloudy? Stormy? etc....

Why dont you join me for an entire weekend of racing on August 3rd? You could shoot over to Big 3 at the same time and have your car tuned even!

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
Plus with all the discrepancies these dyno numbers are showing its hard to rank one with another. Cant fool the clock though.
^true true^
but then again i want to know... are some mods ROBBING us of hp!?

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.6L
2,493 Posts
^true true^
Ohh man I totally agree that this is very important. I doubt his exhaust is doing 30hp worth of damage. There is something not right. I will agree to that. I hope he can get to the bottom of this soon. Hes got a lot of sweet stuff that should make that car rock!

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s
2,449 Posts
I think the 2.5" exhuast is your problem right now. Thats too much flow. I know some of the guys with V exhuasts will disagree. But that should tell you something. The V exhuast was designed for the V. A 3.6L doesn't need dual 2.5" of flow. Now, if oyu plan of FI in the future, I wouldnt change it, but if you are keeping the CTS as is, Id go to 2 1/4.

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I plan on doing a dry shot of nitrous once I have some more money in savings. Should I leave it then?

Also, If I had all the piping replaced with 2.25" then left my high flow cats, x-pipe and mufflers as is, would that possibly correct the problem? If changing the exhaust would my car need to be retuned?

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.6L
2,493 Posts
Man Im down at the track 2 times a month even if Im not running the caddy. I go with my friends and their Fords. Ive run the CTS on 3 different occations. Read the weather links I posted, they should explain the impact weather has on racing.

Im going to hold off on the tune. I still need intake. And i want to see more guys post some 1/4 times before Im sold. I also dont want to spend the extra on 93 gas.

·
Registered
04 cadillac cts v
5,585 Posts
I plan on doing a dry shot of nitrous once I have some more money in savings. Should I leave it then?

Also, If I had all the piping replaced with 2.25" then left my high flow cats, x-pipe and mufflers as is, would that possibly correct the problem? If changing the exhaust would my car need to be retuned?
yes the easier flow the better performance you will have with the nitrous

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
this may not seem realistic, b/c afterall ur not a millionare and dont have money to blow at a whim.. but i wanna switch ur entire exhaust setup back to stock & see what happens.... leave ur tune the way it is...
go to the 1/4 mile, get ur times
get ur tune redone to accomidate your "stock" exhaust setup & then get ur new times again
put everything back to the way u had it before the tune & just 86 the tune completely and get ur time..
“All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.” -Ralph W. Emerson

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LOL!! I thought it was funny Brent, just got distracted by other things!

One thing to consider guys is that I posted a zero to 60 of 6 seconds flat while stock is listed from 6.4 to 6.9.

Shit, I dont know!

Ryan the tune is worth it regardless of what we find here. It adds 18hp and 19ft lbs of torque.

·
Registered
2006 CTS 2.8L
2,471 Posts
^true true^
Those sidemarkers are actually extremely heavy. I suspect they are the root of your problems.

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s
2,449 Posts
LOL!! I thought it was funny Brent, just got distracted by other things!

One thing to consider guys is that I posted a zero to 60 of 6 seconds flat while stock is listed from 6.4 to 6.9.

Shit, I dont know!

Ryan the tune is worth it regardless of what we find here. It adds 18hp and 19ft lbs of torque.
Yes, Ryan, don't be a douche. He saw dyno'd gains. It doesnt matter what he had before, this tune definitely helped.

And Nick, if you are going to do a dry shot next year, Id probably keep the exhuast. But instead of listening to people on here who THINK they know, why dont you email an exhuast manufacturer like Magnaflow and ask them what size tubing they'd suggest for a N/A 3.6L I think this board would be surprised what they say.

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Another theory I am looking at is what gear the dyno was run in. Since we have a five speed auto it needs to be run in 4th for accurate numbers. Some cases have been run in 3rd. People who have run it in 3rd and 4th reported significantly lower numbers for third.

Snoops was run in 3rd at powerchips when he posted 209rwhp after the Powerchip tune.

I sent a PM asking Tony at Big 3 which gear mine was run in.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts