Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 DHS
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep getting the P0741 code or at least the 'pending' once a week or so. I have read most if not all of the threads pertaining to P0741. My trans still seems to work fine, nothing out of the ordinary. My Dad saw an ad for BestLine Powertrain lubricant. I called and spoke to one of the customer service guys and he said the lube does "restore" some of the elasticity to orings and seals. I don't have the money to put into the car because the P0420 code goes every once and a while and I need a new cat from what I read here also.

Has anyone ever tried this Bestline Powertrain lube or one like it?

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,270 Posts
I keep getting the P0741 code or at least the 'pending' once a week or so. I have read most if not all of the threads pertaining to P0741. My trans still seems to work fine, nothing out of the ordinary. My Dad saw an ad for BestLine Powertrain lubricant. I called and spoke to one of the customer service guys and he said the lube does "restore" some of the elasticity to orings and seals. I don't have the money to put into the car because the P0420 code goes every once and a while and I need a new cat from what I read here also.

Has anyone ever tried this Bestline Powertrain lube or one like it?
==============================
there is NOTHING you can dump into the trans that will help -

the problem is a worn-out seal -
and the ONLY way to fix it -
is to replace the seal -
and the ONLY way to replace the seal is to drop the trans -

the GOOD news is that unless you live in an area with emissions testing -
you NEVER have to fix the trans -

YES - you will loose a couple/few MPG cruising on the highway -
but THAT is the ONLY drawback to not replacing the seal -

oh - YES - it will illuminate the SES light often -
it will eventually set that code every time you drive over 41 mph -
annoying? YES - dangerous? absolutely NOT -

the trans will NOT run any hotter -
it will NOT shorten it's life -
it will NOT affect shifting -

due to the high cost of repair - around $1500 to $2500 -
most just live with it - and accept the lower highway gas mileage -

·
Registered
2002 DHS
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks
I do live where we have emissions testing but if I can get the P0420 fixed with the new cat I just ordered then it puts me to only one incomplete for inspections which is ok but two it fails.

Knowing it is ok to drive makes me feel better.

I thought about getting a trans from the junkyard (cost $90 if I pull it) and put that in. What are your thoughts?

thanks for the quick reply

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,270 Posts
Thanks
I do live where we have emissions testing but if I can get the P0420 fixed with the new cat I just ordered then it puts me to only one incomplete for inspections which is ok but two it fails.

Knowing it is ok to drive makes me feel better.

I thought about getting a trans from the junkyard (cost $90 if I pull it) and put that in. What are your thoughts?

thanks for the quick reply
===================================
I thought about getting a trans from the junkyard (cost $90 if I pull it)
and put that in.
What are your thoughts?

:histeric::lol::histeric::lol::histeric::lol::histeric::lol::histeric::lawl::umno::thumbdown:

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,804 Posts
forget the junkyard tranny or snake oil additives. Just clear the code when P0741 shows up. Mine throws the code about once every 3-4 weeks in the past year.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,783 Posts
It's a crap shoot. In the immortal words of Clint Eastwood, "Do ya feel lucky"?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts