Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm currently plagued by many water leaks in the trunk compartment. I lifted the tire pump cover and everything was covered with water, not standing water though, just wet and hot. I was getting a mildew smell in my car for the past 2 days, I brushed it off as it was raining heavily here in GA but now I know the reason.

I've been doing my research on the forum about the sunroof seals, but I honestly cannot find any sunroof drains on the coupe under the actual sunroof, maybe I'm blind.

My concern is a little more serious than that though. All of my sunroof drains in the trunk are bone dry but when I spray the car with a hose over the sunroof the drain does what it is supposed to, but the water comes in through the body gaps/wheel well area (see attached pics).

In total there are 3 leaks:

1. The driver side trunk leak in the back corner happens when the sunroof is sprayed, but only when the drain hose is connected, when disconnected the corner leak does not happen.

2. The passenger side wheel well I haven't tested as extensively, but I figure it will follow the same logic as #1

3. I cannot solve where the deck lid leak is coming from. I had an OEM rear spoiler put on by the dealer body shop and I think it is that is the culprit as I feel the seal isnt as tight as it should be. I think I can get the dealer to fix that leak for me since the spoiler was installed earlier this year.

I really don't know what to do here, I'm going to call a local cadillac repair shop that I trust tomorrow, they do good work and are cheaper than the dealer. I know amny of you on the forum have said to clean the drains out, but they are working correctly AFAIK. So really any help here is much appreciated or if anyone had the same problem please let me know!

Attachments

·
Registered
'12 CTS Performance Sports Wagon AWD
3,560 Posts
First of all you need to get your drains fixed for your sunroof. You show water markings on the passenger side drain which means you have been leaking there. Read this thread... This is likely your issue. It definitely has leaked on the passenger side. You can see the water marks around the drain. You can also see around the drivers side drain the area is wet.

You need to remove the restriction on all 4 corners. Do NOT blow the drains out with air and do NOT run weed wacker wire. You can disconnect the drains from the roof which can be a significant pain to reconnect.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First of all you need to get your drains fixed for your sunroof. You show water markings on the passenger side drain which means you have been leaking there. Read this thread... This is likely your issue. It definitely has leaked on the passenger side. You can see the water marks around the drain. You can also see around the drivers side drain the area is wet.

You need to remove the restriction on all 4 corners. Do NOT blow the drains out with air and do NOT run weed wacker wire. You can disconnect the drains from the roof which can be a significant pain to reconnect.

I read that thread before I posted but for whatever reason I had a hard time understanding what was done.

“I carefully turned the grommet upside down, (note the word TOP upside down on the grommet) then inserted the drain tube into the proper sized hole in the rubber piece, plugged with a red cap. I then put the cap into the hole designed for the drain tube and I now have a proper terminating drain tube”

so it sounds like my intended original drain in the grommet itself is clogged, so I swap the red cap and hose with each other and problem (potentially) solved? If you look closely at my photo of the driver side trunk you’ll see the word TOP at the top. When I took out the felt liner the word top was at the 7 o clock position, not sure if that makes a difference but I moved it to the top after the fact. No difference in behavior of the leak.

·
Super Moderator
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
16,487 Posts
Coupes seem to not be plagued by the sunroof drain issue.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Coupes seem to not be plagued by the sunroof drain issue.
I know you did this repair and posted a great write up about it in the thread that red shared.

I was in the car while the gardening hose was spraying over the rear of the car, it really only started leaking once the sunroof got significantly wet. I think this falls under the category of “might as well try it” fix. I really don’t have any other solutions

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just checked the trunk after I put a fan on it all night, completely dry as you would assume. No “duckbill” on the backside of the grommet but rather just a large opening the size of the inlet drain. There shouldn’t be any clogs there. Dropped it off at the Cadillac shop that I mentioned and they said it would be an easy fix.

Hopefully so!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: it’s the rear windshield.
I figured that it was coming from there since the water was leaking from the top of the trunk as well. Not too sure what I can do about it, I’m experienced with lots of things but removing a windshield is not something I can do. To the professionals I go!

·
Super Moderator
16,487 Posts
Update: it’s the rear windshield.
I figured that it was coming from there since the water was leaking from the top of the trunk as well. Not too sure what I can do about it, I’m experienced with lots of things but removing a windshield is not something I can do. To the professionals I go!
Had my doubts about the sunroof being the culprit.
Curious if insurance would cover the cost?

·
Registered
2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)
4,745 Posts
Check coverage before breaking it....not all glass is covered.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Check coverage before breaking it....not all glass is covered.
I have to bring it to a body shop and im going to let them do it. It's not so much a problem with the glass itself but rather a repair that was done before I even owned the car. Looks like the rear was hit at some point and things have now shifted, causing the seal to break loose. I'll know more when I bring it on Friday

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Any thoughts of the seal behind the tail light? I let the car dry for an hour and sprayed the black plastic area between the driver side tail light and the trunk and it seeps out between the bumper and trunk frame area (see pics). There is also a considerable gap in the window seal on the passenger and driver side that I think is causing a leak. I can't seem to just pinpoint one and it's very frustrating to deal with. I know the tailight silicone job is somewhat common, makes me wonder if I just do it and see what happens.

Automotive parking light Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Bumper

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,487 Posts
IIRC this car had previous collision damage.
Any openings or protrusions can be suspect for water infiltration and it's very possible that you may have more than one leak point.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
IIRC this car had previous collision damage.
Any openings or protrusions can be suspect for water infiltration and it's very possible that you may have more than one leak point.
Car was hit in the rear before I owned it, even before the guy I bought it from. The carfax claimed it was a minor damage, starting to think that wasnt true. I'm thinking at some point a piece of the rear quarterpanel was replaced and welded in, maybe that weld is giving out or opened? Unfortunately the only way for me to see that damage is to remove the rear window, and to remove the window ruins the seal, and glass needs to be fully replaced.

Thinking that I just have to bite the bullet, buy the glass ($250) and new sunroof hoses ($40 for both sides), bring it to the body shop and have them dig in. I know now that there is body filler where the chrome trim on the passenger side meets the body because it has cracked and isn't quite as magnetic as the rest of the car.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Just removed the driver side tail light and the body seam is the culprit for the driver side leak. As the water rolls down the bumper it travels into the gap and leaks in on both driver and passenger side. I'll be taking the bumper off and adding silicone on the seam to seal it up. One set of leaks down, one more leak to go!

·
Super Moderator
16,487 Posts
Silicone may work but seam sealer (Kent, 3M) will provide the best results.

·
Registered
2014 CTS4 Sport Wagon*Luxury-2016 CTS V-Sport Premium
3,532 Posts
yes, seam sealer may be the answer...hopefully someone chimes in with the proper type to use...

Good luck,

Bill

·
Super Moderator
16,487 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: silversport

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
19,401 Posts
I believe Kent has been mentioned a few times in past threads. 3M has to have an 'equal' at the auto parts store.

Reactions: silversport
1 - 20 of 22 Posts