Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Seville SLS, 1972 Eldorado
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Evening everyone, this is my first post here. I have been gracious to read up on so much knowledge here. My Father passed away about 4 years ago and I finally got his 1998 Cadillac Seville SLS up and running. It has been sitting in the garage since he passed. It only has 59,000 miles on it. It is a great car. A tune up, fluid changes, rear shocks, water pump and flushed heater core was pretty much all it needed.

I have searched the boards constantly but cant find an answer to my trunk problem. For some reason the trunk will not open from the button under the dash. I have seen post for if the fuel door and trunk will not operate, but my fuel door release works so I'm thinking that is not the issue. Also, I checked the valet switch in the dash and that is off. The light in the trunk itself doesn't work, but im thinking that is probably just a blown bulb. Any help would be greatly appreciated, tired of turning off the car in order to access the trunk lol.

Once again thanks for all your help, you guys are great! I need to setup a signature too lol

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,403 Posts
The wiring harness for the trunklid and center light assembly is subject to chafing where it leaves the left plastic-covered hinge bracket. Check that as well as the ground wire and ground lug at the LR fender body metal - behind the carpet.

·
Registered
2002 STS, 2005 CTS 3.6
413 Posts
The wiring harness for the trunklid and center light assembly is subject to chafing where it leaves the left plastic-covered hinge bracket. Check that as well as the ground wire and ground lug at the LR fender body metal - behind the carpet.
Exactly as Sub says, this is usually the culprit. Just had to fix this on my SLS, found three broken wires, one black, one blk/wht and one brown. My whole tailight panel and trunk release was inop. I also popped the harness out of one of the mounting holes in the trunk to allow for some slack and prevent the tension from ripping at the wires everytime the trunk pops open. They mounted the harness far too tight in this location from the factory and when everything shrinks in the cold, it breaks. Pull the harness out from behind the left trunk hinge and you'll likely find at least one broken wire.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, so when you say the mouting hinge, you mean the actual hinge on the trunk that curves? I have to remove the moulding on the hinge and there are wires behind there?

·
Registered
2002 STS, 2005 CTS 3.6
413 Posts
Well, I didn't have to remove anything other than popping the harness out of it's mounting in order to gain access to the broken wires. Should be right there behind the curved hinge. Yours are likely broken in the same place, so it should be easy to spot once you pull the harness out a bit, towards you. Once fixed, all the rear trunk lid lights, including the interior trunk light should work again as well as the release.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Sub & Centaur, thanks so much for your help. I found the harness you are talking about and i do notice some disconnected wires. I havent had a chance to retape them but i assume once i do the trunk switch should work. Once again thanks for your help!!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just wanted to provide an update to my problem. There was a black wire in the harness that was cut/torn. I stripped and retaped the wire, lol and behold, I can now pop the trunk using the release button under the dash as well as using my RKE. Thanks again for everyone's help. I get frustrated when reading forums cause most people don't update and say if something worked or not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts