Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in need of some help. My trunk pull down motor on my 93 Fleetwood does not currently function. Is there a way to manually get the trunk sealed in the down position? I'm not sure if it is the pull down motor, but I am frantically searching the net for a replacement. If anyone has any ideas of how to fix my situation please let me know.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
You can take the latch off the pulldown motor and twist it down by hand. Unplug it before you close it so that if the motor is still working at all it won't come back up.

Get another one from a junk yard or the dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll be the first to admit that I'm not very mechanically inclined, but the only way I have been able to figure that out was to completely disassemble the pull down motor. When I tried that I twisted it all the way down and could not get the lid to catch. I have since taken it apart yet again and raised it a small bit, but my trunk ajar light stays lit. It's farther down than it was, but not all the way.

brougham said:
You can take the latch off the pulldown motor and twist it down by hand. Unplug it before you close it so that if the motor is still working at all it won't come back up.

Get another one from a junk yard or the dealer.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Try putting it a bit further down and see what happens. It might just be that you have to slam it a bit harder then before because of the seal :confused:

·
Registered
47 Posts
There are always lots of real GM pull down motors for the fleetwood brougham on ebay. I suggest that you purchase one there (don't go buy an aftermarket piece of junk) Ebay should get you a great deal. Then just simply unscrew and disconnect the wiring harness on the old one and install the new one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah I bought mine for $40.00 on ebay works fine (make sure the wiring is intact though. As to pulling it down be carefull. I did that and water leaked in to my trunk and fukced up my subs.
:sneaky:

·
Registered
106 Posts
my motor works but the thing is i have to press the trunk lid down as the motor pulls it down...shouldnt this pull down mechanism just pull it down for u once u drop the trunk lid and it catches the hook? correct me if im wrong.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
92brougham said:
my motor works but the thing is i have to press the trunk lid down as the motor pulls it down...shouldnt this pull down mechanism just pull it down for u once u drop the trunk lid and it catches the hook? correct me if im wrong.
You're right. It should. Is there a switch or something on the latch on the trunk lid to tell it when to shut? I don't have mine here so I can't look at it to see how it works.

·
Registered
52 Posts
You need to test the latch to make sure it grips the striker hook. This is what holds the trunk to the pull-down. Also check around the hinges and seals to make sure there are no obstructions that are affecting the pull-down.

If the latch is working properly, the next step is to make sure that the pull-down has adequate strength. The motor could be giving out or just need cleaning or grease.

·
Registered
106 Posts
where is the strkier hook on the lid or on the pull down??....when i close my trunk..... u cud hear the motor pulling it down but it dusnt pull down i think its the hook...let me kno how to fix it...thanks guys!

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
The one on my '93 worked for a couple of months after buying it, before dying the one day I opened the trunk in quite a while, I think back in October. I never understood this feature, as it takes just as much effort to first latch the trunk as it does to just close it the normal way. Are we the only people who think this is a very stupid, pointless feature??? It'd be different if it pulled itself all the way down from a fully open position (like the new Town Car, I think), but it doesn't.

We tried to fix it for a few hours and then gave up, and did exactly as was mentioned. Took off a part, manually cranked the latch down by hand, and then removed the gear. We also made sure to then make sure it was held down firmly and wouldn't "crank back up" at all, and removed the correct fuse to get rid of the Trunk Ajar light.

Works perfectly now....you pop the lid open, and then close it fully by hand. Boy, whoever would have thought of such and idea! (Can you tell I never liked it?!)

·
Registered
106 Posts
thats true to a point....but its supposed to pull down by itself theres def something wrong with mine cuz i looked at it and looked at all the hooky things and i cud figure out y it wouldnt pull down on its own...it would be really cool if i cud get it to work...it would help cz if ur hands are occupied with bags u would just need to drop the trunk a lil and then it will pull it down and close...but this is pointeless for me to hold it down as it pulls...i really wanna get this fixed...wat should i do? i kno its not the motor cuz it goes up and down the right way.....but just dusnt hook....it also looks cool wen it closes on its own

·
Registered
106 Posts
and the latch part is the one on the body or on the lid? cuz i think the actual motor part on the body is perfect i pressed the botton on the lid where the is a lil thing if u push the thing on the motor started to go up and down ....maybe it just need a new thing for the lid...and might i mention my key fits into the key hole but dusnt turn?

·
Registered
7 Posts
i know this isn't a seville forum, but i dont know how to post any new ones. I recently got an 89 Seville running again after sitting for a few years, and the auto pull down trunk worked the first few times, then one day i went to close it and nothing happens. It is now latched, but wont go down the rest of the way to seal. I REALLY wanna know a way to just do away with the auto-trunk thing and be able to just slam it shut manually. Anything i can do? PLEASE HELP!!

·
Registered
927 Posts
This has been talked about many times before simple answer is that cadillac didn't want it's owners to be smashing down the trunk like on all other cars you see out there and the force to close it down with the pull down motor takes only a pinky then it pulls it down quietly overall much quieter then smashing it down and having it latch.

second of all you get a much much tighter close if you close the trunk slowly to let the air escape rather than if you just had a manual locking mechanism.

For ex. have you ever had hte mechanism close and then when you want the trunk to close you have to smash it down extremely hard in order for the latch to reach it's because your fighting the air in the trunk and by closing it slowly you can get a tighter seal which helps for a couple reasons.

Mostly I would say the quieter closing of the trunklid is the main reasons for this feature, I personally like it, i don't think it's necessary but I like it.:bouncy:

ps:$50-80 part that lasts 10+ years average is pretty good to me I've noticed these parts mostly fail in cold climates my guess is the electronic parts fail in the winter when they're used.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I find them annoying myself, My 89 had a trunk release but no pull down motor, it was fine. I also dont like that the trunk fully opens upon hitting the release button, Im very weary of what people can see in my trunk

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
17 Participants
thefleetwoodguy