Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999 Concours, 55,000 miles, no previous history of any other starting or electrical problems... All of a sudden about half the time I start my car, the trunk pops open during cranking. Also the cranking time required has increased recently and has intermittently required numerous long attempts before it starts... Battery is fully charged, I replaced with a new starter to see if excessive current draw was the issue, but no help there, and I can hear the fuel pump running in the fuel tank with ignition on.... Sometimes it starts normal.... I should mention I do have a "Viper" remote car stater installed for about 1 year now,,, but this same opening trunk lid problem occurs with that system (toggle switch) turned on or off... However, interestingly, the car starts easier when the remote start operation is used. Sometimes it will not start with the key and it cranks sooo long I give up and press my remote start button and it starts. ( a "little" more laboriously than it used to but it starts). So the remote start being "easier" is something to consider and the trunk pops open at times no matter how the car is started. A nice fruit basket to whoever solves this puzzle for me!

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,973 Posts
A bad starter relay will result in longer cranks. Leaky FPR likewise on hot starts.

·
Registered
Cadillac
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Battery load test,,, I will try that next.

Starter relay and FPR (= fuel pump relay?) will then be next if required. The problem happens in cold or hot engine starting.

BTW, is there a link in this forum that provides component locations? I do not have a resource to find where the Starter relay or FPR is located.

Thanks for the assistance

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,973 Posts
Oops, I meant fuel pump relay.

FPR = Fuel Pressure Regulator.
FPR is on the fuel rail. Relay should be in the fuse box with the other relays I believe. FSM is your best bet for component locater as well as diagnostic & repair procedures.

·
Registered
Cadillac
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And the answer is....., it turned out to be a bad battery... even though it took a full charge from my home charger, it failed the load test (only put out 10 volts under load)... New battery and everything works fine.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,080 Posts
Welcome to CF !!! This thread has been dead for 12 years ............. I doubt you'll hear from one of the old posters. (Ranger is still very active)

What make, model, year car are we working on ?

Trunk and fuel door pops in our series of cars are usually a result of low battery or system voltage. Begin by checking all battery and heavy duty power cables for terminal cleanliness and correct connections. Check the appropriate fuses and relays in the underhood and rear seat fuse boxes. Locator diagrams in the owner's manual.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts