Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 Seville SLS. Trunk Motor will not pull lid down. I removed the motor and took to a local shop, they tested it with power and the motor does go up and down. The motor is clean, no obstructions.

I reinstalled it, the latch was in the down position. When I plugged in the wire harness, the latch went up. Closed the trunk. did not go down..

Took the motor out again and went back to shop, they powered it to the down position again for me.

My intention then was to re-install and not plug in, - basically giving me a regular trunk... NO - it will not latch tight- the latch catches but the trunk remains about 1 inch open. I assume that little black switching device on top of the motor is the culprit...

I guess the GM engineers want to make sure you have to buy a part...

I guess I have to bite the bullet and spend $95 at my local Caddy dealer..

Has anyone ever had this problem???

p.s. - I was carrying a bag of cement in the trunk and when I lifted it out I caught it on the latch and cement poured down the latch hole.
I cleaned it out best I could that night and the trunk shut.. Next morning the trunk open message was displayed. It is my fault if the switch burned out...

p.s. - I was not planning an Italian funeral ,,,lol...

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Im not sure..... Most of the time you just clean it out and go on your merry way.....!

If the motor works (goes up and down), then I wouldnt replace it......

It sounds like something is goofy with the wiring......

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I talked to a mechanic this morning who is intimate with Caddys. He told me that switch mechanism is the problem..Most likely caused by an obstruction that prevented the trunk from sealing (stone from cement bag?)- as a result the switch kept cycling on/off all night..

I got lucky today and got one from a local junkyard.. Put it in, works like a charm...

No more cement bags in my trunk!!!

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Now tell me, why would you carry CEMENT in your CADILLAC???? :D :thumbsup:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
elwesso said:
I was trying to fulfill a honeydew list from my better half. Was passing by Lowes and decided to grab the three bags necesary for the job..

If the 80lb bag did not slip out of my hands onto the latch mechanism
I would have allright...

It cost me $45 for the part at a salvage yard.

p.s. - my wife paid dearly with extra nooky , also
240 lbs is lot alot inn the trunk. My cousin Angelo told me Caddy's have a trunk capacity of 4 bodies - no problem,,,lol...

·
Registered
10 Posts
gman2153 said:
I was trying to fulfill a honeydew list from my better half. Was passing by Lowes and decided to grab the three bags necesary for the job..

If the 80lb bag did not slip out of my hands onto the latch mechanism
I would have allright...

It cost me $45 for the part at a salvage yard.

p.s. - my wife paid dearly with extra nooky , also
240 lbs is lot alot inn the trunk. My cousin Angelo told me Caddy's have a trunk capacity of 4 bodies - no problem,,,lol...
Too Bad you didnt check your Cadillac dealer I bought the switch for my 94 seville for $17.00.

·
Registered
1984 Fleetwood Brougham coupe
1,576 Posts
elwesso said:
Come on Wes!!! Think about it for a second....he might want to see how much the rear drops so he can prepare for that "special" cargo. Not easy to grab a body to test the shocks out. Also....the cement might be for them special shoes some folks gets. :histeric:

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Sorry, I guess that slipped my mind...... :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
It looks like you guys have this one under control, but I agree, for this part the dealer is the best, especially if you can get it at dealer cost. Eleven bucks. I don't blame him for the concrete mix. I have carried many-a-bag of cement and concrete mix in my trunk, but I am a Concrete Industry Management student at MTSU.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts