Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1996 seville sts
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
Been a while since my last post hope everyone is doing ok.
Anyways came home from the store earlier and couldn't get my trunk to go down.It will latch but will not go down.I'm guessing the motor.Is there a fuse to the trunk at all.I found my fuses for the front of the car under my hood but can't find any for the rear.Thought i would try to see if it is a fuse before i attempt the motor.If it is the motor is there a write up on fixing it?

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
The fuse for the trunk pulldown motor is also the fuse for the radio. So if the radio still works, your fuse is fine. It's located in the trunk on the drivers side. There's a small plastic cover that you have to remove to access it.

It's not usually the motor, but the paddle switch on top of the motor. A lot of people report success by just giving the paddle switch a good whack with something.

To fix mine what I did was:
1. removed the switch from the motor (1 screw, 1 wire connector and a tab you have to lift up (you may also need to remove the plasic trim from around the motor))
2. Drilled out the rivits
3. Took a flathead screwdriver and scraped the carbon build up off the contacts.
4. Sprayed some WD-40 on the contacts.
5. Took two paperclips, one in the orange wire slot and one in the black wire slot, and hotwired the motor to get it in the down position. Be careful not to touch the paperclips together as it will blow the fuse. If the motor goes up, you have the wires crossed. It may take a couple attempts because it is possible for it to go too far down, not letting you close the trunk at all.
6. Drive over to ACE hardware, or a hardware store of your choice, and replace the rivits with some machined screws.
7. Put it all back together and enjoy a nice cold beverage of your choice.

·
Registered
2008 SRX
403 Posts
If it latches but won't pull down it is the switch on the latch not the pull-down motor. Unless the motor never came up when it was popped, in which case you probably could not get it latched anyway.

·
Registered
1996 seville sts
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok thanks for the replies!Is there a way to manually shut it all the way down until i have time to fix it?

Thanks

·
Registered
2008 SRX
403 Posts
Red to black not orange to black. Orange is the wire from the fuse, it will pop. Come to think of it...if you hard wire the RED to the BLK at the pull-down motor, this will bypass the trunk lid latch switch. It will work normally except that the motor will cycle up and down while the lid is open. As soon as it closes all of the way, the switch on the motor will shut the motor off.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
The switch to reverse polarity and cycle the motor in the opposite direction is on the paddle switch. I'm talking about removing the paddle switch from the motor, and hotwiring the motor directly which will make it go in one direction and not stop untill you disconnect the wires.

When the trunk lid is open the Orange wire is hot with positive current. When the trunk lid is closed the Red wire is hot with positive current. This is done with the switch on the latch on the lid, which also operates the trunk light. I think anyway. The Black wire is constant negative.

And of course I am not saying touch the wires together, because yes it will blow the fuse as I mentioned before. Once you remove the paddle switch from the motor, two contacts are revealed. Those are the contacts you touch the wires to.

Then again, if you don't want to deal with all the wires and crap I suppose you can use a 9 volt battery to hotwire the motor. Might not move as fast but it should work.

·
Registered
1990 Seville STS 1990 Eldorado Touring Coupe
22 Posts
Mine wasn't working when I bought my 90 STS. It was just on the closed position so I had to slam the lid hard to shut it. To fix it I just got a motor off a riviera, but not with the whole switch assembly. It was only three screws and didn't require me to re-adjust the height o the striker, and it works like brand new. Took probably 2 minutes to do.
Steve

·
Registered
300 SRT8, 392 cubic inches of tire smoking power!
8,189 Posts
Whenever that POS freezes on me I take it out, take it apart, put it in the down position and stuff self tapping sheetmetal screws through it to keep that way and put it back in.

That feature is pretty usless in my book and I wouldn't spend $5 to fix it.

IMHO.

·
Registered
1996 seville sts
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Guys
looking to buy the complete piece for my trunk from ebay.Found a person who has the complete unit but asked me a question on how many pins my connector has.Does anyone know this offhand without me having to take it apart to find out?

Thanks

·
Registered
Cadillac
3 Posts
I had that same problem afew times. Twice I had to replace the switch that is on the bottom with the motor assembly and once it was the switch thats on top on the trunk lid itself. Without tearing it apart and playing with it again I dont think I can tell you how to figure out which one it is. Good Luck.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
I just fixed my friends one a couple days ago... The problem with his was actually the contact between the switch and the motor. All I did was take a file and scratch the contacts to make the contacts fresh and it was all good afterwards.

·
Registered
Cadillac
8 Posts
I have a 89 Deville and I don't see any motor at all for the trunk. I thought they all had a motorized closer, but I just don't see mine. So I just slam it shut. There is a 'torpedo looking' component that the trunk light is powered from. Is this the closer motor?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts