Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1995 FWB 124,*** miles
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, the trunk lid pull down mechanism has been disabled by me for many years (all electrical connectors disconnected from switches, actuators, etc.). I never had a problem locking and unlocking the lock until yesterday. The key just does not turn completely to"unlock position" and I even have a hard time removing the key. What could go wrong? Any tricks to open the trunk without damage to the body? On a side note, my trunk is full of all kind of stuff, really, really full since I travel/camp often (even in the winter).

I have checked the shop manual and it looks like replacing the lock is a no-brainer when the lid is open. Now, how the hell I can open it without damaging anything.

Thanks in advance for any helpful thoughts.

·
Registered
70 Deville 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
685 Posts
Have somebody sit on the trunk while you try to turn the key? Maybe the latch is tight for some reason.

·
Registered
Cadillac
322 Posts
Too much junk in the trunk? Like the reply above mine, my thought is that there may be too much pre-load on the mechanism. Sit the big fattie bootie on there and hope for the best.

·
Registered
1995 FWB 124,*** miles
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Pressed on the lid many times. Did not help. I am thinking... could the emergency lever in the trunk be the culprit? Unlikely, though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It could be that the pins in the lock need to be lubed. The way the lock works is you have a series of pins of a particular length that match the cutout of the key. Normally these pins in their resting position will block the cylinder from turning. They are spring loaded so when you insert the key, they move in a downward, upward, or both direction until the key is fully inserted. Once there the pins are now in a position that will allow the cylinder to turn. In your case you state that the key is hard to remove and doesn't fully turn. It sounds to me like the lock needs some lube and one of the pins could be sticking. I'd suggest a light spray of Kroil or some other penetrating oil that would free up the lock then try it again.

·
Registered
1995 FWB 124,*** miles
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It could be that the pins in the lock need to be lubed. The way the lock works is you have a series of pins of a particular length that match the cutout of the key. Normally these pins in their resting position will block the cylinder from turning. They are spring loaded so when you insert the key, they move in a downward, upward, or both direction until the key is fully inserted. Once there the pins are now in a position that will allow the cylinder to turn. In your case you state that the key is hard to remove and doesn't fully turn. It sounds to me like the lock needs some lube and one of the pins could be sticking. I'd suggest a light spray of Kroil or some other penetrating oil that would free up the lock then try it again.
Thanks! All penetrating oils are in the trunk. I am working on getting some from a store. Will also try to turn the actuator with fingers through the opening of the license plate light.

·
Registered
1995 FWB 124,*** miles
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Managed to open the trunk. Now cannot turn the key, so it is definitely the lock cylinder. Ordered new one from Amazon.
How hard are the rivets holding the clip to remove? Are they aluminum or steel? Have not seen the replacement kit so I do not know if the new clip has holes for fasteners or even need ones.

·
Registered
1995 FWB 124,*** miles
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The rivets holding the clip holding the original lock in place started spinning. Had to knock them off with a screwdriver and a hammer. Ones holding the cover did not spin and it took a few seconds to drill them out. Used the original actuator. The rivets of the cover were replaced with 8-32 screws and nuts (or M4). Used the two cutouts in the trunk lid to hold the nuts. The original clip can be reused, but I put the one which came with new lock cylinder. Now, I have an extra key on my key ring...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts