Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that my trunk light was blown after I bought my car last month. I replaced the bulb yesterday, but the problem is that the light will not turn off when you lower the trunk lid, even when you pull the lid all the way down to the latch. I

I removed the bulb so I would not run down the battery, is this a comon problem on these cars and can it be fixed? My 96 Deville never did this.

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
The switch is in the lid latch, does your pull down motor works?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes the pull down motor works and the lid closes by itself like it should. I noticed in the service records of the previous owner that the trunk switch was replaced last year, maybe it was installed wrong or is defective? But if that was the case the trunk would'nt close automatically would it?

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
The FSM does not specifies if the switch is shared between light and pull down motor or not, it only specifies that is located in the latch assembly. Now that I think better that latch assembly is the part mounted on the trunk lid, let me get back to you this afternoon when I am back from work, I need to see witch of the two switched controls the light.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Yup!
That’s the one on the trunk lid, part of the latch assembly. So if you open the trunk and look up to the latch next to it (left side) there is a small black plastic lever (about 1 inch long). With the trunk opened when pressing on the lever the trunk light should turn OFF and the pull down motor should start, well … pulling down off course. If you release the lever before the pull down motor is all the way down will just return up.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks I'm going to check that out tomorrow. Is the lever and pull down motor all one unit?

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
No! Not the pull down motor!
The pull down motor is on the trunk's floor while the latch is on the trunk lid. Your problem is the lock assembly (the part on the lid).
And yes, the lock it is one unit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts