Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
95 SLS

The trunk motor has stopped working, trunk lid will close and lock but the motor does not pull down.

I don't have time now to check the motor, but is there a way to have the trunk lid close manually and be normal so it's not popped up an inch?

manythanks:cheers:

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,551 Posts
Yeah, I think you can disconnect it, then removeit and open it up. Screw down the pull down mechanism, put it back together and reinstall it without plugging it back in.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now it's time to fix.. where do I start??

Is there a contact that needs cleaining? This stopped intermittently.. when I would drive, then after a few bumps it would close, now never closes with the motor.

any help, much appreciated -Bob

·
Registered
1997 Eldorado
637 Posts
i just got one from a junk yard did you get the trunk to get all the way down? when i had my motor go out on my eldo it closed but not all the way down

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok got the trunk to fully close..
there's no quick fix to move the latch when the motor is not working, no manual override of turning of the motor while installed in car

following on Ranger's advice:

1. remove and disassemble motor

2. re-install clear plastic gear assembly, without motor attached

3. insert armature back into clear plastic gear assembly, manually spin the armture a few hundres rotations until the latch lowers to the proper height

All this took a few hours. Gears are good, no chipped teeth, I had cleaned the armature, cleaned and lightly lubed the gears with white lith, cleaned the contacts and hoped the motor would work again,, no luck. I didn't check electrical or bench test the motor, that's next, some day.

btw, this motor is like the headlight motors of my 66 Vette

·
Registered
1997 Professional Chassis Raised Roof Presidential Limousine
411 Posts
I'm not sure if my '97 deVille uses a different part but it took just 2 minutes to manually lower the pull down arm. I just removed the large plastic rear trim panel, removed a small torx screw that attached the switch and pulled off the switch, then fed 12V and ground to the 2 contacts to lower the arm.

The switch seems to be bad, can I take it apart to fix it or is it too cheap to bother with fixing?

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,551 Posts
I'm not sure if my '97 deVille uses a different part but it took just 2 minutes to manually lower the pull down arm. I just removed the large plastic rear trim panel, removed a small torx screw that attached the switch and pulled off the switch, then fed 12V and ground to the 2 contacts to lower the arm.

The switch seems to be bad, can I take it apart to fix it or is it too cheap to bother with fixing?
Nothing to loose by trying. I seem to recall people taking it apart and cleaning the contacts.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, FIXED. for how long who knows but I'll take it.

fwiw some kinda-random observations, open for comment or just to document:

motor appears (and probably is) original

electrical connector is 3 wire: orange=12v, red=0v (what is this?), and black

the fuse in trunk panel is for both motor and antenna

switch on lid that turns on/off trunk light is also an on/off control to motor

switch on motor is really two switches : 1) small switch switched by the latch going up/dn flips polarity(?) to either motor contact to make motor spin in either direction 2) big flat switch cuts turns off motor when trunk lid closes.

when trunk lid is open, and manually hold in lid switch (turning off the trunk light) then motor will run up/dn/up/dn continuous, until let go of switch or pressing motor mounted switch

tested the motor-mounted switch with continuity tester
tested the brushes with continuity tester

lubed gears lightly with white lith grease

somewhere in disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly, something changed to make it work again.

I'm glad I didn't just rush over to ebay and buy a new unit. Nice to have a zero cost fix for once.

imho there's no quick fix, no temporary fix. For me, the trunk lid kept creeping up even when the motor was unplugged. Maybe drill a hole and insert a cotter pin to keep the gear from spinning would be the only quick fix.

The trunk latch is not made for slamming, the latch shows signs of wear and would seem to not really take a lot of abuse and gears could break.

done for now, it's beer time, cheers

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
upon further review of continued intermittent performance, quite by accident I stumbled on how to get the motor to work just by lightly pressing down on the electrical connector to the motor.. was loose connection on ground wire. Since I had already disassembled the connector and cleaned, this time i simply unplugged, gave the connectors a slight tweak to make them not exactly straight, then reconnected and got a nice tight connection. Has been working for a while.. :yup: done

1 - 11 of 11 Posts