Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1997 ETC
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
My 1997 ETC trunk stopped working the other day and I found the problem in about a minute. There is a plastic switch mounted in the trunk lid, near where the key would be, that turns on the pull-down motor when the trunk is at the beginning of the closed position.

This plastic switch appeared to be cracked. I was able to push it together and the trunk worked and closed. This of course is only temporary. The switch is still falling apart. Does anyone know if this switch is replaceable? (I've heard people on some forums say the whole motor needs to be replaced)

Thanks for any information.

·
Registered
05 STS AWD 1SG
489 Posts
I have a 99 STS, and I wondered about a pull-down motor. A buddy of mine indicated that I should have one, but I can't find any reference to it in my manual. I just got the car recently. Should I have a pull-down motor?

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
'98 and newer STS lost the pull down motor if I am not mistaking.

·
Registered
05 STS AWD 1SG
489 Posts
Trunk Leaking?

Thanks for the reply. Now I have to find out where the trunk is LEAKING. When I bought the car, I noticed a slight "mildewey" smell. I knew that it had been detailed, and thought it was a wet carpet situation. I opened the trunk and lifted the spare tire cover and WOW!!!! FULL OF STINKY, MILDEWEY, RUSTY WATER!!!!!! Sucked it out at the carwash, and it's back! Can't figure it out, but the smell is strong. My little girl's getting sick.

·
Registered
'99 Eldorado 77,000 miles
291 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Now I have to find out where the trunk is LEAKING. When I bought the car, I noticed a slight "mildewey" smell. I knew that it had been detailed, and thought it was a wet carpet situation. I opened the trunk and lifted the spare tire cover and WOW!!!! FULL OF STINKY, MILDEWEY, RUSTY WATER!!!!!! Sucked it out at the carwash, and it's back! Can't figure it out, but the smell is strong. My little girl's getting sick.
You need to get this taken care of immediately! Otherwise there's a good chance your car can get ruined. My Eldo had the same problem. I believe it is just the rear seal somewhere in the middle by the latch, if it's like mine was. I had it fixed at the dealership I bought the car from.

Sorry for helping with the hi-jack...

·
Registered
05 STS AWD 1SG
489 Posts
You need to get this taken care of immediately! Otherwise there's a good chance your car can get ruined. My Eldo had the same problem. I believe it is just the rear seal somewhere in the middle by the latch, if it's like mine was. I had it fixed at the dealership I bought the car from.

Sorry for helping with the hi-jack...
I'm heading to the dealer on Monday morning to get this fixed. I don't understand about helping with the hi-jack.... But thanks for this useful information. I'll get right on it!

·
Registered
1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t
3,013 Posts
Hmmm.... Interesting. I wonder if there's a way to turn it on or off.? The carfax didn't reveal any collision or anything.....

I looked in my owners manual for my 97 sts and it does have a section explaining the pull down motor, page 2-15.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a 94 etc and have replaced the pull down.Very easy get the part from rock auto,3 or 4 bolts and a power hook up.Very easy no cliping wires just plug it in put the bolts back on and your rolling again.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Hmmm.... Interesting. I wonder if there's a way to turn it on or off.? The carfax didn't reveal any collision or anything.....
As mentioned I do believe the pull down motor was dropped in 98. I haven't see any '98 and newer (and I must admit I haven't seen that many) with the pull down motor. This was just one of the reasons I like the '97. Now it might be some kind of a rare option...that is possible.

You can't turn-it ON or OFF (I really don't see why would you want it OFF) you either have-it or don't. If the place where your trunk latch locks is a piece of "U" shaped metal bolted into the car body then you don't have the pull down motor.

In '98 the car was redesigned, all '97 and older had one (at least I haven't seen one without) same as I haven't seen a '98 and newer with.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Is that 2002 as in your 2002 ETC, because the discussion is about '98 - '03 STS. Eldorado is based on pre '98 Seville thus it will have the pull down motor.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,046 Posts
FWIW - Re: Post #10 - CARFAX is a voluntary reporting database. You will normally find only sales/registration changes and emissions tests in there. Maybe, just maybe, some maintenance. ("Hey Martha ! I just smashed the doodoo out of the Eldo's rear bumper and Bubba pulled it out with the truck. Get on the computer and tell CARFAX, will you ??")

If you want to find out about warranty/recall/GM service, take the car's VIN to a GM dealer on a quiet Tuesday afternoon and ask the service writers to pull the cars' GM VIS printout from their database.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts