Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
When I bought my 95 FWB it was sold to me as "you have to close the trunk lid hard." I found out that the pull-down motor in the trunk was dead. Bought a new one. Also bought a new motor for the latch area. Installed everything....and now my trunk will not latch AT ALL!

What have I done! I am getting power to the bottom pull-down, but now it won't latch at all????? The motor that goes on the lid, how do I test it for power? I flip up the little plastic tab on it and it makes the pull-down work like that George Clooney machine in that one movie - err - I mean it makes it go up and down. Does that mean that the motor on the latch is working? What the heck did I do to my trunk? ANY and ALL help is most appreciated as I will have to take this to my mechanic who worked on my dad's 92 Buick's version and had got it to work by luck...

HELP lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
If the latch is too low to start off with it will not latch. It might need adjusted. If the clasp thing on the trunk lid is not open it will not catch, use key to open. First two things that pop in my head.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response! I sprayed the lock with pbblaster graphite and I have played with the lock and key a bunch. I played with the trunk pull down motor trying to get to catch, even unplugged it and tried slamming a few times, never caught.

I'm wondering if something might be wrong with the lock or something because to close it before the motor replacement "one had to slam it." Even then it would let loose, it would pop open on occasion if I didn't get it closed/slammed well.
Hmmm

·
Registered
9 Posts
Take motor off in right-hand side, take center out and turn latch by hand, it takes many many turns of the spindle to turn the latch screw enough times to go up and down.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I might have found the culprit - hope so at least. It looks like the locking mechanism on my latch is just worn out - probably from all the slamming those idiots did......:rolleyes:

I noticed the metal was spread apart and it did not latch well. Put it in my vice and tried to bend it back - it looks good again, but still, the lock is weak. Went on Amazon and ordered and....gulp...Dorman latch. Hope it works...wanted Delco but didn't see it right away and didn't want to pay a huge amount more. Already have like 300+ into this project. Wife is going to stab me like that German soldier stabbed that one dude on Saving Private Ryan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts