Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How can you get entry to the trunk when the button in the cabin or the pad on the trunk lid, don't work? The FOB won't open it either.
I tried the key in the trap door by the left exhaust pipe and I could manually FORCE the lid open. Pressing the CLOSE button on the lid, and the lid powers closed, but won't open with the internal/external switches.

·
Registered
'02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum
2,612 Posts
You didn't mention if the Rear Decklid electrically unlatches and raises during a Folding Top OPEN or CLOSE cycle.

If it doesn't operate, (the latch should trip right after the indexed windows lower, just prior to the hydraulic pump powering up to move oil into the lift cylinders) it's possible the solenoid-operated auto-cinch latch that secures the Rear Decklid may be defective, allowing manual operation only via the cable that the lock in the rear bumper activates. Luckily, that's a relatively inexpensive fix. I had one fail once - the internal latching engagement hardware is plastic and yielded, giving me the same symptoms you're reporting. Once you open the rear decklid, you need to remove the plastic trim piece at the rear of the truck t access it before removing the latch cover to peer inside.

Otherwise . . .

Your best bet is to have a dealer or friend with a Tech 2 scan the Folding Top hardware and RCDLR module to ensure everything is working properly. There are several things that can cause the symptoms you describe, but a scan should isolate them quickly.

CCC

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
How can you get entry to the trunk when the button in the cabin or the pad on the trunk lid, don't work? The FOB won't open it either.
I tried the key in the trap door by the left exhaust pipe and I could manually FORCE the lid open. Pressing the CLOSE button on the lid, and the lid powers closed, but won't open with the internal/external switches.
Well this has taken an ugly turn.
Seems rodents (suspect mice) have gotten in the car and reeked havoc.
Everything in the glove box has turned to confetti. White millet bird seed I keep in the garage (where the car's kept) also fills the glovebox.The cabin air filter is all chewed to bits (that's how I think they got in).
On the passengers floor are more shreds and a two inch yellow sheathed piece of wiring with two leads (yellow and orange) which I suspect is airbag wiring.
Back to the trunk lid; I tried the folding top operation. Nothing. I go straight to the VALET switch and it's in the OFF position.
I pry the switch out of the glovebox and out it comes with three inches of black wires crudely chewed off. The OFF position is a closed contact, so I suspect I found the cause of the non-operational trunklid, but opening up another chapter.
It's too damn cold and I'm too depressed to pursue it this morning.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Wow, that's the worst XLR story I've hear in just about forever. . . Mice can be incredibly destructive, especially where wiring is concerned. Until you find every nest, they aren't going to stop chewing unless they're hibernating.

You can either assess the damage and try to repair it yourself if it isn't too extensive, or install a new wiring harness, which is a big job, but you know you've covered everything. Selling the car to someone who wants to take on the job is another option, but it would be a huge financial loss.

Sorry to hear about this.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got the car back from the dealer. $4800 worth of uninsured damage.
It's mothballs and mice poison time.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,007 Posts
I store bird seed in the garage too. But it's in a good ol' galvanized hard top steel garbage can. Not expensive .......

EDIT: The little bastards got into my (old wooden dresser) junk shop rag drawer this winter - the whole mess is full of sunflower seed hulls, brought in from out by the bird feeder station - 50 feet from the garage.

And I do use the fabric softener sheets - now placed on the floor at each wheel/tire. (and now in the rag drawer - we'll see........)

6010605.jpg

·
Registered
2002 DTS, 70 Cougar conv, 2020 XT4
833 Posts
Sorry to hear about your damage.

My 50 year old convertible is stored all winter in our unheated garage. I do the fabric softener sheets plus cotton balls soaked in peppermint (smells better than mothballs).

Plus mouse traps, too, which catch them in our basement but not in the garage - I'm assuming the mice avoid the garage due to the peppermint & dryer sheets.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I've used these for years - one in the attic, the garage, and the basement. Bait them with peanut butter and turn it on.

These kill everything from wharf rats (CA.) to mice and squirrels here in CT. Awesome and easy to dispose of the critters.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts